Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

Default Re: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Posting from Ireland where I'm visiting GlennsAllnighter!

Nothing has changed for me either. No Glenn, no Eagles.

If anything, I feel more validated now that I hear their voices are starting to go. Far from approving, I think Glenn would want them to call it a day if they can't perform at a high level. He had shown in the past that he was able to leave money on the table if he thought it was the right thing to do.

To answer Mary's question, I've always said I'd have had no problem with them doing this under another name. They could experience all the joys of performing together in front of an audience, have all the emotional benefits, involve Deacon and Will, everything they get from this. They would just be making less money from people who only care about seeing a group named the "Eagles" in order to check off that box, and thus wouldn't bother to turn up if the same men called themselves something else.

I'd say in that case, leave Glenn's songs alone, maybe do one as a tribute. Otherwise it comes off like a cover band.
    Absolutely. And a subpar cover band at that. There are Eagles tribute bands that sound better than they do now that I'd go to anyday before I'd go see what they are calling the Eagles now. They need to have some dignity left.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

MC - I would be interested in you sharing the basis for your opinion about this. I don’t want to rehash the same ole, same ole again, but I don’t recall anyone making an argument on this board about why they think Glenn would be ‘delighted’ with the current tour’. Of course, as we’ve said many times before, none of us know for sure how Glenn would feel, but on the contrary, his comments and actions over many years remained fairly consistent and lead me to believe that he would not have considered this lineup to be legitimate. I do believe he would be very proud of Deacon though.
    Happy to share the basis for my opinion, at the risk of taking this thread off topic. But since you ask, here goes....the basis is my overall perception of Glenn is from HoTE, the books, articles, interviews, etc...the only quote I would attribute to him is "song power". To my knowledge, he never espoused "personnel power". Even though Randy was out of the band, Glenn thought it was important to perform TITTL, even if he maybe didn't want to, because the fans wanted it. But this is just one little quote from a long time ago.

The things that stand out in my mind about Glenn is that he did not treat his songs as precious, only to be presented to the public in a certain way by certain defined personnel. Especially during the HoTE tour and all of the interviews (and the documentary) at the final stage of his life, he seemed generous (spiritually, musically), content with life, well-traveled, well-educated in the music business, looking forward to what the future might bring, somewhat at peace with the band and Don (perhaps an uneasy truce with Don), grateful for his family, etc...etc...All of these are the types of qualities that in my opinion would translate to him being fine with the way the band has continued on. Of course, these characteristics of his and the jump to a conclusion about his thoughts on the current tour is all speculation, but it's how I think of him and what I base my opinion on.

Most importantly, however, is the fact that we know that Cindy is not afraid to call in the lawyers post-Glenn's death. As a lawyer, and as a long-time wife, I believe 100% that she absolutely knows his wishes, that his wishes as to the use of the Eagles name are firmly in writing with his attorneys and the band's attorneys, and that if he had meant to protect the name after his death from how it is being used, he 100% would have and she (and his and the band's attorneys) would have honored his wishes.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I forgot to say that as the parent of a teenage boy, not only do I think that Glenn would be proud of Deacon, I think he would be absolutely delighted and thrilled that his son is touring as the Eagles with Don, Tim and Joe. I don't think that if he knew what is happening now, these stadium shows with his family on the tour, if given the choice, he would put an end to it.

ETA: To me, there are NO negatives to Deacon's participating. He's out there, smoking his weed, traveling like a rock star, living the life, performing in front of millions to positive reviews and fan enjoyment. Some will cite that it is not his favorite genre of music, that he should forge his career path, that he's riding his dad's coattails, etc... From what I can tell, NONE of the Eagles' kids have careers, genuine careers (yes Lucy is a sometime actress and I don't know about Joe's other kids, but I do know about Don's and Timothy's). These offspring dabble in the arts, a little. I'm sure this was Deacon's path before this came up. He's having the time of his life for as long as it lasts, I say live and let live.
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 07-18-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Since much of the discussion in this thread was lost when The Border had to be rebuilt recently, it looks like the thread was just left kind of dangling.

So, I don't know if anyone wants to repost their thoughts or not, but I just want to say that although we disagree, I do very much appreciate MC's response to my question.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

I never got to see the Eagles when Glenn was alive I wish I had
    I've bought tickets for the Manchester concert here in the UK next year.
    Most bands go through several line ups and yes I understand it was Glenns band I've played Eagles music all my adult life I always liked Glenns voice.
    How do I feel about Vince and Deacon? Vince was Glenns friend and has a good reputation as a country singer from what I've seen he looks like a nice guy. Deacon is Glenns son and he's got good reviews.
    The reviews of the US tour I've seen have been good it's the most expensive ticket I've ever bought, I think of it as last chance to see.
    I'm no longer working but i can understand Don Joe and Tim continuing to tour I'm sure they don't need the money but it's what they've done for years it probably defines them that's hard to change.
    Are they still the Eagles? Yes sort of, I'll risk it.