Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite versions of The Long Run songs!

Default Favorite versions of The Long Run songs!

Before I begin, I would, again, like to thank Soda and Dreamer for all the hardwork! This post wouldn't be possible without the efforts from both of you!

Now, the celebrations for The Long Run were there recently in The Border. In the light of this, I'd like to make this thread. Frankly speaking, this album's songs' variations are not too much. The Eagles, when live, particularly were pedantic on the way they were performed (at least to me). Hence, sometimes one may think that listing out live versions is superfluous. This is where the older albums had the edge: chances for more interesting variations.

Again, just like the previous ones, ANY version goes.

1. The Long Run- 1980 Santa Monica (July 29th bootleg):
    I personally feel that The Long Run had way more RnB feel with the additional saxophone; it feels elevated. And in that regard, this night's performance was epic. Phil Kenzie absolutely rips it off here. The slide was slightly extended as well. Nothing comes close to this for me. Quality is fantastic for an audience recording, an A- for me.

2. I Can't Tell You Why- 1980 Santa Monica (July 29th bootleg):
    When I talk about lack of differences, this is one of those songs. Not too different from the record. However I like the more prominent synthesizer and the meatier guitar from Felder. The record's was too tame for my liking. Tim sang well, though this song was not too testing for him at the time.

3. In the City (Joe Walsh cover)- 1980 Santa Monica
    The record version was always lacking something when I first listened to it. And when I listened to this version and 1980 The Forum, I realized that rawness was missing. A lot. Thankfully, the live versions are way better. The guitars are more in your face. The double neck sounds great here. Joe was very on point with the vocals. I also feel that this is a song which can be covered well without ruining the integrity of the original.

4. The Disco Strangler- no other version known

5. King of Hollywood- 1980 Santa Monica:
    Lol Santa Monica 1980 repeated everytime. This has great recordings of multiple songs, that's why. Anyways, as for this song's version, I like the more in-your-face guitars again, and Walsh slightly changes up the ending solo. The falsetto by Glenn is also quite prominent, which I like.

6. Heartache Tonight- 1980 The Forum (soundboard version):
    Not my most favorite song from the album. This does rock a lot though. The mix is raw. But nothing else to say really.

7. Those Shoes- 1980 The Forum (soundboard version):
    Epically nasty version! The guitars are raw and distorted here. Though there is one confusion: who actually plays the solo? Walsh or Felder? Eitherway, the solo itself was awesome. The raw mix was the cherry on top.

8. Teenage Jail- no other version known (though I wish 1979 Capital Center's recording would exist so badly)

9. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks- 1979 Chicago:
    Not a favorite at all. But, rawer so my favorite version. Though 1979 Las Vegas would be my favorite if it didn't fade. Interestingly, Soda has another version which nobody has.

10. The Sad Café- 1980 Santa Monica:
    Beautiful version. The ending saxophone was really moving by Phil Kenzie. Vocals were fantastic as well.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Default Re: Favorite versions of The Long Run songs!

I'll get back to you on this... I've got to think about it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'll get back to you on this... I've got to think about it!
    I have two requests for you:

1. If you do make the list, please (pretty please?) don't make it disjointed. That would be really preferable.

2. Please listen to that 1980 The Forum bootleg you have. Chances are some interesting versions could be there. I particularly want to know about how The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks goes.

Cosec, I apologize for taking so long. I haven't forgotten. It's just that midterm grades are due this week so I've got a whole pile of tests I've been working on AND I've got to prepare for a conference this weekend in Indianapolis... I am presenting on one of the panels, but I haven't written the paper yet! This has been at the bottom of my pile, but I WILL get to it.

1. The Long Run - Live album. It's not really that different than the album, but it's fun to hear the audience reactions (even if it is fake). Actually, I know there is a version I like better, but I am having trouble remembering which it is, so I'll go with the live album for now and come back and edit if I remember the bootleg. It's one where it's really good sound quality and a really lively audience.

2. I Can't Tell You Why - Hell Freezes Over. It just sounds gentler there.

3. In the City - Hell Freezes Over. I like the "It's survival in the city, children." And, unlike a lot of live versions, he hits the notes.

4. The Disco Strangler - hate the song, don't want to hear it live.

5. King of Hollywood - Alpine Valley 1980. This isn't my favorite song so honestly I haven't really compared versions. This is the one I've listened to the most because I've had this bootleg a while, so... Plus there's a little something that sounds like a shot going off during "We gonna get you an apartment, honey" and it makes everybody shriek; it's kind of cool.

6. Heartache Tonight - Glenn's solo show in Oakland 1982. I hesitated to put this because it's not the Eagles but he does a great job with it!! He sings it with such spirit! Plus, they make a couple interesting changes with the instrumentation.

7. Those Shoes - Millennium Concert. Great sound quality and they are having fun with it, it seems, even though we now know things weren't happy behind the scenes.

8. Teenage Jail - the album one sucks so... no desire to hear this live.

9. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - 1979 Chicago. I'll go with yours, as I dislike the song so again haven't listened to a bunch of versions and compared them closely.

10. The Sad Café - 1980 Santa Monica. Agree with this one as well. Great version.

Out on the Border

I would want teenage jail live video, as well as after the thrill is gone, over anything else! someone come out with it!

Out on the Border

The Long Run - Studio, don't really like the song
    I can't tell you why - Official HFO 1994, best performance ever
    In the city - Official HFO 1994, great vocals and guitar work
    The Disco Strangler - Love the song, wish there was live
    King of hollywood - Forum 1980, makes that show for me
    Heartache tonight - Studio, don't like it live
    Those Shoes - Forum 1980, great talkbox solo
    Teenage jail - believe it or not, my fav song on the album, would kill for the ONE live performance of it!!!
    Greeks dont want no freaks - Studio, meh song
    Sad Cafe - Studio, love the song, but it is forgettable some reason

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    1. The Long Run - Live album. It's not really that different than the album, but it's fun to hear the audience reactions (even if it is fake). Actually, I know there is a version I like better, but I am having trouble remembering which it is, so I'll go with the live album for now and come back and edit if I remember the bootleg. It's one where it's really good sound quality and a really lively audience.

2. I Can't Tell You Why - Hell Freezes Over. It just sounds gentler there.

3. In the City - Hell Freezes Over. I like the "It's survival in the city, children." And, unlike a lot of live versions, he hits the notes.

4. The Disco Strangler - hate the song, don't want to hear it live.

5. King of Hollywood - Alpine Valley 1980. This isn't my favorite song so honestly I haven't really compared versions. This is the one I've listened to the most because I've had this bootleg a while, so... Plus there's a little something that sounds like a shot going off during "We gonna get you an apartment, honey" and it makes everybody shriek; it's kind of cool.

6. Heartache Tonight - Glenn's solo show in Oakland 1982. I hesitated to put this because it's not the Eagles but he does a great job with it!! He sings it with such spirit! Plus, they make a couple interesting changes with the instrumentation.

7. Those Shoes - Millennium Concert. Great sound quality and they are having fun with it, it seems, even though we now know things weren't happy behind the scenes.

8. Teenage Jail - the album one sucks so... no desire to hear this live.

9. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - 1979 Chicago. I'll go with yours, as I dislike the song so again haven't listened to a bunch of versions and compared them closely.

10. The Sad Café - 1980 Santa Monica. Agree with this one as well. Great version.
    1. The Long Run- Tbh, I don't like the Eagles Live version. The same venue of Santa Monica, but on July 29th is WAY better. Not to mention the overdubbing and fake audience sound and even the banter is fake. The ending banter was from October 22nd, 1976 at The Forum for TITTL. Just so fake.

2. I Can't Tell You Why- I do not like the gentler versions. I like the more in your face versions of ICTYW, like TLR versions. HFO and after had a way too soft guitar and the real strings aren't very strong compared to the synthesizer. But Tim sings really well here. I could understand that many like the gentler versions, and here it indeed is gentle.

3. In the City- Well, it is a decent version. The vocals are really good. But I find the guitar work to be lackluster. I miss the ending slide solo. Here he just played chords. And in spite of having 3 guitars, it actually doesn't sound as heavy as TLR versions. I miss the double neck.

4. The Disco Strangler- Agree

5. King of Hollywood- Actually a really good version! The firecracker pop was not so remarkable to me. It is interesting how whenever Don had his lone time singing low (without Frey's falsetto), the crowd was hysterical. The guitars were great, though Joe's ending wasn't as good as some other versions. You've gotta dig up your 1980 The Forum bootleg and listen to that version. That one must've been way better.

6. Heartache Tonight- Again as I said in the beginning, ANYTHING GOES! Solo versions, covers on YouTube, etc., anything! But tbh, I really don't like the Eagles' members' solo tours that much except Joe Walsh's. And with 1982 Glenn bootlegs being harder to find, idk. Actually can you tell me what did they change?

7. Those Shoes- Yeah not such a bad version. The drumming is my most favorite aspect. But again, please check your 1980 The Forum bootleg and think about it again. I bet you would have an epiphany about favorite versions! Also, it is most probably overdubbed and actually can be taken from the Las Vegas concert, not Staples Center like we were told to believe.

8. Teenage Jail- Understandable. It is actually not arranged that well. But admit it, if it was there, you would've been at least a little bit curious about how it all went down. But oh well.

9. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks- Yeah 1979 Chicago is most common. Yet again, please check 1980 The Forum. It might just be better.

10. The Sad Cafe- Oh yeah! I feel this version has the best saxophone ending ever!

Quote Originally Posted by vshiloh View Post
    The Long Run - Studio, don't really like the song
    I can't tell you why - Official HFO 1994, best performance ever
    In the city - Official HFO 1994, great vocals and guitar work
    The Disco Strangler - Love the song, wish there was live
    King of hollywood - Forum 1980, makes that show for me
    Heartache tonight - Studio, don't like it live
    Those Shoes - Forum 1980, great talkbox solo
    Teenage jail - believe it or not, my fav song on the album, would kill for the ONE live performance of it!!!
    Greeks dont want no freaks - Studio, meh song
    Sad Cafe - Studio, love the song, but it is forgettable some reason
    Woah! Hey! Welcome to The Border. I like how no one found out about you two being new! This ought to be interesting!

1. The Long Run- Really? I mean, at least try 1980 Santa Monica. Fantastic version. I personally feel the studio version is too empty.

2. I Can't Tell You Why- Same here I see....

3. In the City- Again the same lol.

4. The Disco Strangler- You're the first one to like The Disco Strangler here. Almost everyone here hates this song. But I feel with good reason, they have never done it.

5. King of Hollywood- Yeah, 1980 The Forum is epic as well. The soundboard quality is just such a bonus! I feel Walsh's part is still best in Santa Monica.

6. Heartache Tonight- Interesting... But then again, particularly in TLR tour, it sounded pretty much similar. Some changes were made later on, like the congas intro plus sax in HFO.

7. Those Shoes- Agree

8. Teenage Jail- Again, so polarizing. Most hate this song here as well, with quite a few Frey fans saying it is a waste of talent lol. But both of us like it, and wish we would get a live version. 1979 Capital Center where you at?? Especially it is polarizing that it is your favorite song from TLR. The popular consensus is Heartache Tonight. How contradictory!

9. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks- Yeah, understandable. Mediocre song.

10. The Sad Cafe- Hmm. I'd recommend listening to 1980 Santa Monica and 1980 The Forum. Great versions with great saxophone solos!

RIP thread. No more replies 😂

In all seriousness, this kinda sucks.