Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Henley Song Survivor: Actual Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I haven't seen Don solo and I am extremely unlikely to . I thought it was interesting that two songs which the Eagles still insist on playing, SG and ASWTDID, were voted off quickly. I really believe that if Don still has to do solo songs, these should be changed. But I am hoping he will be singing his new Eagles songs, not these.
    That actually makes me think of something that I've been wondering about for some time now. I'm sorry I'm asking it here and not someplace else, but does anyone know why they sing so many of Joe's and Don's solo songs (not that I'm complaining because I really enjoy those songs) and so few of Glenn's? I really enjoy "You Belong to the City" on FT1 and I'm sure they played "Smuggler's Blues" and/or "The Heat is On" when I saw them during the HFO tour. I have to admit, those three might be the only ones that I know of Glenn's! Well, I think I know Sexy Girl too. Yes, I know, I need to expand my horizons, don't I? I'll never be mistaken for one of Glenn's Angels, that's for sure!
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    After my discussion in the last round, my vote is pretty obvious, but...
    I cast my vote for Last Worthless Evening.
    Wow! I didn't see that coming!
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

I'm of the camp that adores LWE. Such a lovely sentiment, and not your run-of-the-mill angsty love song. So... although I think it rocks...

I cast my vote for I Will Not Go Quietly.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832
    That actually makes me think of something that I've been wondering about for some time now. I'm sorry I'm asking it here and not someplace else, but does anyone know why they sing so many of Joe's and Don's solo songs (not that I'm complaining because I really enjoy those songs) and so few of Glenn's? I really enjoy "You Belong to the City" on FT1 and I'm sure they played "Smuggler's Blues" and/or "The Heat is On" when I saw them during the HFO tour. I have to admit, those three might be the only ones that I know of Glenn's! Well, I think I know Sexy Girl too. Yes, I know, I need to expand my horizons, don't I? I'll never be mistaken for one of Glenn's Angels, that's for sure!
    This is something I remember being really surprised by as a new fan. I bought Farewell 1 and I was like "Wow, there are a lot of solo songs of Don's and Joe's and only one of Glenn's (not counting the instrumental)? What's up with that?"

YBTTC is a difficult song to sing - perhaps Glenn dropped it as a result. I don't know why he doesn't replace it with an easier solo hit like The Heat Is On, though. EVERYBODY knows that one. It was the biggest selling single of ANY solo Eagle, reaching #2 on the charts (so did YBTTC). My personal favorite is Smuggler's Blues... he tears that up, and the Eagles have done it before to great results. It rocks!

But Glenn, for whatever reason, opted to nix all of his solo songs. I actually said to him one time that it would be great if he put a solo song back in the Eagles set and he didn't look too enthused about the notion.

Of course, I would rather they do all Eagles songs anyway, but if Don and Joe get solo stuff in there, Glenn should put a song of his in there too! JMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832
    And, I know that a lot of you have seen IWNGQ live and loved it. I may have seen it too since I've seen him in concert 3 times. If I did, it didn't leave an impression on me.
    Katherine, you have seen Don solo three times? I've seen him solo four times--he is fantastic, isn't he? We need to compare notes in another thread sometime.

However--I didn't see him do IWNGQ until his solo shows last summer, so it is possible you haven't seen him do this. I find it very, VERY hard to believe that if you saw him rock out on this song, that you could EVER forget it!

Stuck on the Border

The 'why doesn't Glenn sing solo songs with the Eagles' thing is a sore point with me. As this is Don's forum I'll keep it positive and say that at least I got to see Smuggler's Blues back in the HFO days as well as YBTTC played on guitar. I had seen THIO back in 1988l. I would like to see Glenn sing another solo song with the Eagles. That's all.

Katherine, if you can find a Greatest Hits CD by Glenn, please invest in it. It will be worth your while.

Default song survivor

Getting harder and harder. NYM has a lot of personal significance for me so I can't vote it off yet, and it's imune anyways! I agree, IWNGQ does rock but I will have to vote it off this time cause it's my least favorite of the remaining songs. It's going to get hard from here on to chose one to vote off....can't wait to see what song is the last one standing.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

I agree, Rckn, it's going to be very hard to vote in the final stages, but for now,

I cast my vote for I Will Not Go Quietly

It was one I voted against early on, but after hearing descriptions of it live by Df, Soda and Brooke, I thought it deserved a reprieve!

On the subject of which solo songs they do live, I can only conclude that they have chosen songs they all enjoy playing. You have only to see how much fun they have in Funk #49, Dirty Laundry and All She Wants To Do Is Dance (Glenn in particular!). I can't see why they wouldn't have just as much fun doing The Heat Is On or Smuggler's Blues though. Glenn is always so self-deprecating about his solo career; I have to assume it's been his decision to drop them. Our loss.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I too cast my vote for Í will not go Quietly.

I agree that its an awful pity that Glenn won't do at least 1 or 2 of his own solo songs at Eagles gigs and worse doesn't seem too enthusiastic about it.

Katherine I got the Universal Masters Collection. Its really good for Glenn's hits. And makes great driving music!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I cast my vote for "I Will Not Go Quietly." I love it.......but not nearly as much as the other remaining songs!

As far as the solo songs that they sing in their shows.......they kind of have to perform Joe's big hits because otherwise he wouldn't have much. I'd love to see them drop sunset grill and maybe even All she Wants to do is Dance......but call me selfish.......I'd like to see Dirty Laundry and Boys of summer performed. lol Hey it's not like I'd get to hear them any other way. As far as Glenn's stuff....I'd LOVE to see them do smuggler's blues again! I LOVE You Belong to the city as well. I know they did The Heat Is On before.....but for some reason I have a hard time imagining the group performing it together. lol