Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hologram of Roy Orbison to go on tour

Default Re: Hologram of Roy Orbison to go on tour

I saw the news about Whitney Houston yesterday, who I believe is one of the greatest sings of the past century, and I tried to imagine what a show like that would be like. Would it be like watching a virtual reality concert? Are they going to try to make her hologram "interact" with the audience? It's just so surreal.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

FOH with this garbage. I think it's highly disrespectful and greedy to want folks to pay big bucks to see a computer generated hologram of somebody in concert. One of the more ridiculous things I've heard of in recent memory.

Stuck on the Border

Pretty desperate.

Not a singer, but related to the theme of this thread: A movie with James Dean (obviously CGI) to co-star. Again, I shake my head. No, just... no.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...QpM?li=BBnb2gj

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Gosh, I wonder how the James Dean thing is going to be. I hope it isn't too freaky/creepy.

I find the whole trend of this sort of thing distasteful and disrespectful. Even the commercials with some young actor playing Colonel Sanders saying and doing silly things, when from what I've read he was a serious person, bothers me. Then there are the Jimmy Dean sausage commercials. Before he died, the company dropped him as a spokesman, even though he started the company, and his name was on it. So here, years later, they have started using his voice and image again. Now these hologram things and this ridiculous James Dean "movie". No one wants others putting words in their mouth when they are alive. Just because they have passed, I don't think others should have free rein to use their image like a cartoon, captioning it however they choose. Including family!
    Last edited by FreyFollower; 11-09-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    I find the whole trend of this sort of thing distasteful and disrespectful. Even the commercials with some young actor playing Colonel Sanders saying and doing silly things, when from what I've read he was a serious person, bothers me. Then there are the Jimmy Dean sausage commercials. Before he died, the company dropped him as a spokesman, even though he started the company, and his name was on it. So here, years later, they have started using his voice and image again. Now these hologram things and this ridiculous James Dean "movie". No one wants others putting words in their mouth when they are alive. Just because they have passed, I don't think others should have free rein to use their image like a cartoon, captioning it however they choose. Including family!
    Wow, I has no idea Jimmy Dean was deceased -obviously I don't keep track of these things. I also find the whole thing distasteful. However, don't they have to get the estates permission to do this ?

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Wow, I has no idea Jimmy Dean was deceased -obviously I don't keep track of these things. I also find the whole thing distasteful. However, don't they have to get the estates permission to do this ?
    I guess it depends on what legal arrangement was made. I googled the Jimmy Dean thing. In 2003, the company told him he no longer fit their marketing strategy and would no longer be spokesman, but they retained the rights for the use of his name and image, and they would continue to pay for that part. So I guess the family now gets this payment but maybe has no say in how his likeness is used. Personally, I would still be unhappy that they upset the old man by dumping him, and now want to use him again. But maybe they are glad to see him restored as company spokesman.
    Like the families of these other deceased stars may be, the money might affect their opinion.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Regarding Whitney Houston's hologram about to go on tour, here is a short bit of what is on the stage:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/enter...rnd/index.html

Again... No! Just, no!