Thread: Seven Bridges Road tuning

Out on the Border

Default Seven Bridges Road tuning

So I just saw them for the first time and it was amazing. But I'm curious about how they play Seven Bridges Road in C major instead of D major (the original key on Eagles Live)... do they drop the guitar tuning a whole step, or do they put a capo on the third and play it? It seems like they play regular D, C, and G chord shapes just in a lower tuning, but I couldn't see them from where I was sitting... any guesses from the forum?

Default Re: Seven Bridges Road tuning

Whole step down tuning is my guess.

Don can't hit the high notes any more like he used to so several songs have been downtuned or changed to other keys.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by captainnemo View Post
    So I just saw them for the first time and it was amazing. But I'm curious about how they play Seven Bridges Road in C major instead of D major (the original key on Eagles Live)... do they drop the guitar tuning a whole step, or do they put a capo on the third and play it? It seems like they play regular D, C, and G chord shapes just in a lower tuning, but I couldn't see them from where I was sitting... any guesses from the forum?

Hi Captainnemo - welcome. I know nothing about musical instruments. However, reading what other people have posted at various Eagles sites who have seen the guys in concert, it appears they have dropped to lower keys for Don and Tim in quite a few songs. Someone posted that Tim now sings "I Can't Tell You Why" in falsetto. The poster stated Tim could not sing in the high notes he used to so thus the falsetto. The poster also stated Don was singing in lower keys and at times had trouble hitting some high keys. However, we have to remember Don is now 71 and Tim will be 71 Oct. 30th.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi Captainnemo - welcome. I know nothing about musical instruments. However, reading what other people have posted at various Eagles sites who have seen the guys in concert, it appears they have dropped to lower keys for Don and Tim in quite a few songs. Someone posted that Tim now sings "I Can't Tell You Why" in falsetto. The poster stated Tim could not sing in the high notes he used to so thus the falsetto. The poster also stated Don was singing in lower keys and at times had trouble hitting some high keys. However, we have to remember Don is now 71 and Tim will be 71 Oct. 30th.
    I understand they changed keys to fit their vocal ranges, but I'm curious about the tuning of the actual guitars themselves... are they playing C, Bb, and F chord shapes in standard tuning or are they playing D, C, and G shapes in DGCFAD tuning? I was too far away to get a real look at that.

Stuck on the Border

Captainnemo - Sorry, but I can't help you with the guitars or other instrument questions. For that you would need to ask WalshFan or Chaim or others who play instruments.

Out on the Border

I'd have to check tonight where I might have a spare guitar or two, but not at the moment. I haven't had the chance to see the post-Glenn lineup yet so I didn't know they changed the keys of certain songs. Many of the videos get pulled off YouTube quickly, but not Seven Bridges Road (maybe they like to throw that out there for the harmonies ).

Stuck on the Border

I took a quick look at a recent video. Don and Deacon play it in C. Whoever plays the main acoustic (Vince or Steuart) plays it in D. I wasn't paying attention to Joe's electric.