Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Default Re: 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Def Leppard, to me, would be called heavy metal....not rock. I agree with Walsh....the RRHOF is a joke, plain & simple. The people they induct aren't what one would term "rock & roll", IMO. Yeah, I know times change and you have to change with them as an artist but....rock & roll, to me, are guys like Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, etc. - not the kind of artists that are in there today. Yes, I know that Elvis got in there on the first ballot of artists way back in the late 50s but....since then, it's gone all downhill from there.
    Metal is such a blurred genre IMO, TT. Thereare so many types now.

To me, they aren't heavy metal, like Metallica or Megadeth. There's thrash metal, death metal, hair metal, heavy metal, progressive metal, ugh! There is different types of rock too but nowhere near as confusing.

Some types of metal I love, and some types I think the lead singer should audition for Jim Henson and get on Sesame Street and to do the voiceovers for the Cookie Monster. lol

I LOVE hair/glam metal. As I said before, I like that stuff. And it deserves to be in the RnRHoF, I'm sorry.

Give me Motley Crue, RATT, Poison, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Great White, Kix, Winger, Whitesnake, Slaughter, Warrant, Tesla, Cinderella, Skid Row, Twisted Sister, FireHouse, etc any day before some boring deep Dylanesque philosophical song. As I've said on this board many times, I'm not a lyrics guy. I'm a guitar first, groove first guy. I like fun songs. And I tend to like rock n' roll with loud guitars, haha. And bombastic concerts with gimmicks and crazy light shows and lifts and all of that. I love KISS for that reason too. The Eagles are one of the tamer bands I actually listen to. I'm definitely not into real thought provoking lyrics.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hey Austin - This is off-topic for this thread, but just a little bit of personal trivia for you since you mentioned Firehouse in your post. I was/am a friend of Michael Foster's mom. He is the drummer for Firehouse and is from my hometown. I actually used to babysit him when he was a baby. But don't say I'm old.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Hey Austin - This is off-topic for this thread, but just a little bit of personal trivia for you since you mentioned Firehouse in your post. I was/am a friend of Michael Foster's mom. He is the drummer for Firehouse and is from my hometown. I actually used to babysit him when he was a baby. But don't say I'm old.
    Really? Wow! How cool. They were one of my first concerts. They were a package concert with Quiet Riot, Ratt, and Cinderella.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

The presenters for the induction ceremony have been announced—
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has announced the names of the presenters for this year’s induction ceremony. Presenters will include Harry Styles for Stevie Nicks, Queen’s Brian May for Def Leppard, Trent Reznor for the Cure, Janelle Monáe for Janet Jackson, David Byrne for Radiohead, the BanglesSusanna Hoffs for the Zombies and John Taylor and Simon Le Bon for Roxy Music.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...uction-807191/

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I don't understand how they pick who inducts people into the RRHOF...Brian May inducting Def Leppard makes sense, Def Leppard knew Queen, they performed at the tribute concert for Freddie Mercury, and they were influenced by Queen, but Harry Styles inducting Stevie Nicks? That makes no sense to me!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Irving Azoff's son manages Harry Styles. Irving is Stevie's manager, as you know.

I'm so happy for Def Leppard. I think they made the right choice going with Brian May.

As far as Harry Styles and Stevie Nicks, they've actually performed together before. They did Leather and Lace and Landslide and it was not my thing at all.

I'm no HS fan. I think One Direction is pretty bad music, lol.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stevie Nicks has referred to Harry Styles as her adopted son and the “love child” of her and Mick Fleetwood. There’s apparently mutual admiration there.

I’m a little puzzled by Susanna Hoffs inducting the Zombies but I look forward to seeing Simon Le Bon and John Taylor induct Roxy Music.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I didn't know that, about Harry Styles. I can't stand One Direction either!

I would guess Susanna Hoffs is inducting The Bangles because she's cited The Beatles as an influence, and The Zombies are from the British Invasion. That's the only connection I can think of!

Not sure if this is the connection between Susanna Hoffs and The Zombies, but here is one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Covers,_Vol._1

Under the Covers, Vol. 1 is the first collaboration between alternative rock artist Matthew Sweet and Bangles singer/guitarist Susanna Hoffs. Released by Shout! Factory in 2006, the album contains 15 cover versions of songs from the 1960s and 1970s. The album was a result of their mutual love for songwriting from the 1960s.[3] Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs decided to record an album together in dedication of that era consisting of only cover versions.

The album was released April 2006, and they appeared July 18 on Late Night with Conan O'Brien to promote the album and tour.

One of the songs on this album is "Care of Cell 44", originally released by The Zombies.