Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Border Troubadour

Default Re: 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

Overall I’m really pleased with the selection, although it’s iffy that Def Leppard is HoF worthy, imo.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ad/2287283002/
    Why? Nine-figure total album sales (on a par with the likes of Dire Straits, Bon Jovi and Fleetwood Mac), absolutely massive in America in their prime and one of the most influential and definitive hard rock / glam metal acts ever.

Congrats to these guys - and Stevie Nicks is the first woman to be inducted twice!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Why? Nine-figure total album sales (on a par with the likes of Dire Straits, Bon Jovi and Fleetwood Mac), absolutely massive in America in their prime and one of the most influential and definitive hard rock / glam metal acts ever.
    I'm happy for them and love their music....now!

Back in the day I wouldn't let our daughter listen to them.....bad boys! Years later my husband's boss asked us to go to a concert with them. They were fantastic! And their poor drummer's story is amazing!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Congrats to all of the inductees. I definitely think Def Leppard is deserving of the honor. The two bands I would question are The Zombies and The Cure. I liked the Zombies, but I question whether they were that influential and they were only around for a fairly short amount of time. As far as The Cure, I never liked them so. I guess I am biased. But again, I don't consider them to be such an influential or ground-breaking band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree about Def Leppard. They may not have been the best band ever, but they deserve their spot in there. I don't know that The Zombies were that influential, but a lot of the other British Invasion bands are already inducted -The Dave Clark Five, The Hollies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Yes they sold a lot of albums - I bought a couple of them myself back then. I’m not sure how influential they are compared to other bands of the same era and some of their music is kind of juvenile, even the stuff I like. They owe a lot of their success to their producer Mutt Lange, who definitely should be in the Hall. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be in there, I just question it a bit. I felt the same way about Bon Jovi last year. But I don’t begrudge either of them the honor, esp. since they won the popular vote. Congrats to them and the other inductees!

This is is the first time I look forward to watching the whole induction ceremony, even the Zombies who I am not that familiar with...I had to look up their songs to recognize them. Apparently they have influenced a lot of current indie pop bands and get nods in Pitchfork.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I love hair metal and glam rock.

I'm so happy for Def Leppard. Their music is excellent. Not all music needs to be serious. In fact, I often prefer lighter hearted material and I love a good party song. I'll take it any day over the tear in my beer, woe is me tracks. I like rock n' roll though, and I don't look to songs to gain wisdom or deeper meaning. I love anthems like Pour Some Sugar On Me. That's what rock and roll is all about IMO. I love it, with all of it's excesses and double entendres. But that's just my tastes. I'd rather see Def Leppard in the RnRHoF than someone overly serious with themselves and is too philosophical and preachy. I look to music for fun.

I feel the same way about Bon Jovi. Good, rockin' tunes that make you sing along and party. I mean, who doesn't sing along to Livin' On A Prayer? It's not possible. lol. Different strokes for different folks here. This isn't the songwriter's hall of fame either. Juvenile fits right in, lol. After all, it's rock n' roll! Anything goes...

As Joe Elliott once said about Pour Some Sugar On Me: "This isn't "blowing in the wind" lyric, this is the "hub cap diamond star halo" thing", referring to Get It On by T. Rex. I much prefer the latter, all day long.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - I agree about Def Leppard. They said this morning on tv it was the fan vote that got them in. I have never heard of the Cure.
    Austin - I agree about Bon Jovi - I was singing along with LOAP while it played on the radio the other day.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

The Zombies are absolutely brilliant. Colin Blunstone’s voice is hypnotic and Rod Argent’s songwriting and jazzy keyboards are first class.

I would love to read Robert Smith’s reaction to The Cure getting in. The honor is richly deserved, no question, but Robert seems to me like someone who has not really embraced, nor been embraced by “The Industry.”

Def Leppard, to me, would be called heavy metal....not rock. I agree with Walsh....the RRHOF is a joke, plain & simple. The people they induct aren't what one would term "rock & roll", IMO. Yeah, I know times change and you have to change with them as an artist but....rock & roll, to me, are guys like Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, etc. - not the kind of artists that are in there today. Yes, I know that Elvis got in there on the first ballot of artists way back in the late 80s but....since then, it's gone all downhill from there.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 03-13-2019 at 05:31 PM.