Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Journey

Default Journey concert

Saturday night a friend & I saw Journey in concert. I don't know if you have heard about their new lead singer, Arnel Pineda, but it is a great story. After unsuccessfully trying to replace former lead singer Steve Perry for many years, one of the band members came across a youtube video of Pineda covering Journey in his band, The Zoo, and was so impressed with his vocals that they contacted him about joining the band. Pineda was raised in poverty in Manila after the death of his mother, who inspires his music to this day. He is 40 but he jumps around the stage like he is in his 20s. He does sound JUST like Steve Perry. The band put on a great show, singing hits like Faithfully, Wheel in the Sky, and Don't Stop Believing, a song that Pineda said is his theme song. ALmost 10,000 people attended the concert here, including a number of proud Filipinos like the girl seated next to us who waved a Filipino flag throughout the show (making me feel a little bit like I was at the Olympics).

Oh--and then I ran across this little tidbit in the newspaper article about Journey, which said "the decision to sell their new CD, Revelation, only via Walmart was suggested by manager Irving Azoff, who also handles the Eagles."

If you want to hear a little more of the story, including what Pineda sounds like, here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcOZV...eature=related

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

A friend of mine who has always been a huge Journey fan, was just telling me about this story Saturday night. Arnel really is amazing and sounds like Steve. I will probably buy the cd because I have always liked their music also but I will also admit that I really will miss Steve Perry. It just seems that he was the sound of Journey but maybe this new guy can make believers of me and other hardcore fans after all.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I liked Journey but never really cared one way or another about them........BUT.......when the new cd released Walmart kept playing "Open Arms" over and over and OVER again and I absolutely fell in love with Arnel's voice! And you can tell how happy he is and excited he gets about the music! The cd is great!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I really loved all of Journey's hits with Steve Perry and never really cared about them without him, but I heard about the new guy on a news show and he sounds really good.

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert DF! Sounds like it may work for them.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Glad you enjoyed DF!

I think I have to find some Journey songs!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm not familiar with Journey but after this review will have to acquaint myself. Any suggestions for an album I couold start with? The new one?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter
    I'm not familiar with Journey but after this review will have to acquaint myself. Any suggestions for an album I couold start with? The new one?
    Me neither GA! Think that it would be indeed a great idea to have a couple of albums!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

I havent seen Journey since he joined but I might soon.

The last time i saw them they were on tour with Def Leppard and they were ok but I'm really thinking about it now thanks to your review DF. Thanks!
    Any kind of love without passion
    That ain't no kind of lovin' at all

You should all go see them. What can I say--Irving definitely knows talent!

I haven't gone to Walmart lately to pick up their new CD, but I did buy the Journey Greatest Hits CD in the new "environmentally friendly paper packaging" and it is very good.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have their Greatest Hits, too. It has most all of their best songs. Check it out on Amazon. Steve Perry's voice is probably one of the most beautiful voices in rock. IMO!

I love Open Arms, Faithfully and Wheel In The Sky especially.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten