Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crosy, Stills and Nash No More

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Crosy, Stills and Nash No More

Chaim, yes, we saw a concert on YouTube where they were quite adamant. I don't remember which one I watched now. It changed my thoughts about how wonderful they were as people though.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I saw a interview in 2016 with Graham Nash. He stated then he would never perform with David Crosby again. He sounded REALLY pissed off at him. As a side note, Graham also stated he had been unhappy in his marriage for many years before he was divorced. He stated with the deaths of Glenn and David B. he realized life was short and he had to do what made him happy. I think he had been dating the new wife for a year or two at the time of the interview.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Graham is also political in concert. At a concert of his I attended a couple of years ago in Fort Lauderdale, he announced he wrote a song about Michael Brown, whose shooting by police triggered riots in Ferguson, Missouri. The disapproving roar from the audience seemed to knock Graham back on his heels for a moment, but he soon recovered himself and clarified, "Hey listen, I support the police."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Graham is also political in concert. At a concert of his I attended a couple of years ago in Fort Lauderdale, he announced he wrote a song about Michael Brown, whose shooting by police triggered riots in Ferguson, Missouri. The disapproving roar from the audience seemed to knock Graham back on his heels for a moment, but he soon recovered himself and clarified, "Hey listen, I support the police."
    Hi NMB, how have you been ? I have never seen them(CSN&Y) in concert. I don't like when rock stars start talking politics at their shows. Did you enjoy Graham's show ?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Hello New Kid! I did enjoy Graham's show. He had just turned 73 I believe, and it was remarkable how fine his voice sounded. He's maybe lost a little bit in his highest range, but he's really singing well and writing well too. "This Path Tonight" has some outstanding songs, particularly the title track and "Myself At Last."

So sad to hear about the death of David Crosby. When he was on Joe's birthday video he sounded bad. RIP David Rock and Roll has lost another one.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - Another rock 'n roll icon gone.

R.I.P. David

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

David Crosby has always been kind of prickly and admittted he's an ass. But as soon as he starts singing, that voice just melts my butter!
    I think it was one of Jackson Browne's video, maybe "Going Home" that Graham Nash was very rude to David Crosby, treating him like a pestulent child. I can see why they ddidn't get along. But, oh! Those voices!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    David Crosby has always been kind of prickly and admittted he's an ass. But as soon as he starts singing, that voice just melts my butter!
    I think it was one of Jackson Browne's video, maybe "Going Home" that Graham Nash was very rude to David Crosby, treating him like a pestulent child. I can see why they ddidn't get along. But, oh! Those voices!!!
    I agree MarthaJo56. I always thought Carly Simon's song "You're So Vain" was written about him. Seeing him in the 70's in Hollywood he walked around like he was the Man. Always a hat and a cape, striped skin tight pants, and lots of groupies. BUT he could sing..
    Watched a tv special , Remember My Name, where he drove around all the old places, up Laurel Canyon pointing out places and his health. I think he knew he was living on borrowed time.
    Crosby, Stills and Nash were good. Another group that came up in a very musical time in LA

David could be a piece of work no doubt. We actually agreed on a lot of social/economic/political issues but I did not care for his comments on the Eagles being boring and I disagreed with him musically on that and other things. I also feel like he was the curmudgeon's curmudgeon and at times could make our own Don Henley look pretty youthful and bitter-free by comparison. I think we will all eventually become curmudgeons but some take it to another level and I really think that is when it becomes a bit too toxic.

But his voice can't be argued with. What he brought to the CSN/CSNY sound can't be replaced. I remember the old Joe Walsh guitar lesson tape where he goes on about David and his ghost part harmonies. And let's be clear Stephen and Graham had great voices too, particularly Graham. I think they really blended perfectly. And add in Neil Young and it was really cool. Deja Vu is one of my favorite records from that time period. I think I would say that CSN and the earlier iteration of Buffalo Springfield or The Byrds were a part of the Eagles finding their sound and being inspired to do *that*. Along with the Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons, etc. If you care about vocal harmonies and that's your thing, it's hard to take a pass on or overlook CSN/CSNY and those guys prior bands. I think they pioneered that sound in a lot of ways along with their contemporaries.

And I think it's important to realize that it's very likely Graham and Stephen could be very unpleasant at times and had their own egos and skeletons in their closets. So I think we can say that they likely weren't messiahs or free from fault. So I can't beat up on David too much for that. I know Stephen now comes across pretty grouchy and short and I think Graham can be a little condescending in some of his interviews. I think they *all* had their issues and to pick on one you need to do the same to the others in fairness!

RIP David Crosby.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."