Thread: Awww... Bah-stun You're My Home!

Out on the Border

Default Awww... Bah-stun You're My Home!

Dear L.A. Dodgers Fans,

I would like to express my heartfelt sympathy that after so many years of no World Series – you have finally gotten so close that you can almost taste it.

But, alas, we all know the Dodgers will end up choking before they get anywhere near enjoying an actual taste of success against the mighty-mighty Bah-Stun Red Sox.

So, as someone who has “suffered” having to endure celebration after celebration from what feels like a never-ending win of Bah-stun sports championship wins from the Red Sox – to the Bah-stun Bruins – to the Bah-stun Celtics – to the New England Patriots – let me offer a little friendly advice on how L.A. fans should prepare themselves for the game in L.A:

• As you’re sitting in hours of endless bumper-to-bumper traffic on your way to the stadium – because you don’t have a nice subway system like Bah-stun does to get you in & out of sporting events easily – just hop out of your car for a few minutes in the middle of traffic, visit a local hardware store and pick-up a broom to bring with you to the game.

• Then study the video below, so you’ll know the words to sing along at the end of the game when Bah-stun fans will be celebrating “sweeping” the Dodgers out of their own stadium as Boston fans sing about the sweet-sweet taste of that Dirty Water, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfjkNutSe3U

Of course, I am just joking with you – as even though I am a Boston-bred girl through & through – I’m really not a huge sports fanatic -- and I find the Jimmy Kimmel video asking fans on the streets of NY to congratulate the Red Sox one of the funniest videos I’ve ever seen. You can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X97anu9bbt4

I’m torn on who I want to see win this Series, because my husband grew-up in L.A. loving the Dodgers – but he came to love the Boston sports teams – and he treats my Dad as the father he never had – and Lord knows, my father loves his Boston sports teams – but I think Matt is secretly going to be cheering for his Dodgers.

In any case, I’ll be happy to be at home with our newborn, while our soon-to-be 4-year-old son gets to enjoy the experience of sitting between his dad and grandfather at a World Series game in Boston – and regardless of who actually wins the series -- I know it will be a memory our son will cherish for the rest of his life.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Awww... Bah-stun You're My Home!

Hi Carolyn - I have always been a Red Sox fan. I am a Mets fan and have never like the Yankees. However, I am also a Jets fan and hate the Patriots. I do not like cheaters. Thus I can't stand Bill B. and Tom B. However, I do hope the Sox win and also hope your son enjoys his first game with his Dad and Grandfather. Such a special memory for them all to treasure.

Out on the Border

Thank you, NKIT. I can tell how much sharing this moment is going to mean to them. Matt really treats my dad as the dad he never had to be able to do these kind of things with when he was growing up, and my poor Dad ended up getting stuck having only 2 daughters, with no sons -- and I think he was always a little jealous of his friends who had sons to enjoy going to sporting events with.

Even though my son is just turning 4 on Nov. 4 -- just a couple of days before my husband's birthday -- I can see that he has grasped that this is something really special that he will be sharing with his dad and grandpa.

Yesterday, my dad gave our son a Red Sox hat that his father had bought for him almost 60 years ago, when he was just a kid and his family had just moved to Boston from Ireland. It was such a special moment, and Matt told him that he had to promise to take really good care of it.

I'm surprised that it's so big on him, as he has very thick, wavy hair, but he hasn't taken it off -- even though it droops over his eyes. He even slept with it on him last night.

I had to stop my Dad from giving him his baseball card collection, as I had to remind him we have another son who is just a newborn now, but will likely want something special from him as he gets older, as well.

I told Matt that my Dad will understand if he wants to cheer for the Dodgers, but Matt said that for this series he wants them all to be cheering for the same team, as he doesn't want to break my Dad's spirit if our son starts cheering for the Dodgers with his Dad -- so this time around, they'll all be cheering for the Sox.

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby, Carolyn!

As for baseball... the Big Red Machine died in the Seventies, but I can remember listening to the games with with my great grandmother oh so many years ago. The World Series game sounds like such an opportunity for all three of "your guys." Hope they have the great time they're anticipating.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Congratulations on the birth of your new baby, Carolyn!

As for baseball... the Big Red Machine died in the Seventies, but I can remember listening to the games with with my great grandmother oh so many years ago. The World Series game sounds like such an opportunity for all three of "your guys." Hope they have the great time they're anticipating.
    I was a huge fan of the Reds in those years, CA! I remember watching lots of their games, staying up late to catch the ones on the west coast. I loved Johnny Bench and had his autograph. I was in Jr. high when they lost the Series to the A's and was crushed. They made up for it winning in 1975 and 1976 and I was elated! I used to watch a cheesy show out of Cincinnati, The Bob Braun Show, just because they had Reds players on so often!

NKIT, I can't stand the Patriots either... could be because I'm a Colts fan and they were our achilles for many years. That was back when we were good!

Congrats, Carolyn! Enjoy these precious years with your young family!

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    I was a huge fan of the Reds in those years, CA! I remember watching lots of their games, staying up late to catch the ones on the west coast. I loved Johnny Bench and had his autograph. I was in Jr. high when they lost the Series to the A's and was crushed. They made up for it winning in 1975 and 1976 and I was elated! I used to watch a cheesy show out of Cincinnati, The Bob Braun Show, just because they had Reds players on so often!
    Oh, man... Bob Braun's show was on every day at our house. His son, Rob, still does the news on Channel 9.

I had a second cousin (or was she a third? whatever) who was a manager at Fifth Third. Johnny Bench filmed one of the commercials there, and at a later family what-ever she went on and on about how horrible he was. But she was a little weird herself, so I always took what she said with a grain (or two) of salt. (Actually, if any of y'all plan on talking to my relatives in Cincy, please let me know so I can throw a few caveats out there.)

LOVED the back-to-back World Series wins in '75 and '76! Did they even win a game this year?

Stuck on the Border

Carolyn - I forgot to say congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby boy ! How did the baseball outing go ? I hope they all had a wonderful time.
    CAinOH - I remember the "Big Red Machine" well. They and the A's owned the 70's. They were a great team then, and this is coming from a Mets fan who remembers many a game with them, including the playoffs.