Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California shows with Richie Furay????

Border Desperado

Default Re: California shows with Richie Furay????

Thanks everyone for the pictures and videos. There are some on Facebook on the "Richie Furay Music" account. Timothy was his usual gracious, kind self when thanking Richie for giving him a great start in the music business. I feel like Timothy seemd a little tired and melancholy (if you can get that from watching videos). I know that his daughter, Owen, got married on November 3rd and there has been the horriffic wildfire situation around where he and so many others live, and I think his son Ben had to evacuate his home. I hope that all is or will soon be well with him.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting those pictures, MJ56. Too bad you couldn't make it to the show.

And appreciate the update, WKMB55. Congrats to Owen!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I didn’t know it was being filmed—is that for his documentary?

It would be awesome if Randy makes an appearance at the Troubadour to help mark Poco’s 50th Anniversary.
    Richie is raising money to make a biographical film. I'll try to find the link and post it later.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thanks, NMB!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the pictures and videos. There are some on Facebook on the "Richie Furay Music" account. Timothy was his usual gracious, kind self when thanking Richie for giving him a great start in the music business. I feel like Timothy seemd a little tired and melancholy (if you can get that from watching videos). I know that his daughter, Owen, got married on November 3rd and there has been the horriffic wildfire situation around where he and so many others live, and I think his son Ben had to evacuate his home. I hope that all is or will soon be well with him.
    Here is the link to Richie'
    s group FB page....and all the photos & videos.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Furay/

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    Thanks so much for the info, 55!
    It does seem like Tim has had a lot going on. I remember his, "Song For Owen ," and how sweetly he expressed his feelings about her growing up and separating a bit from the family fold. Now that she's recently married, I wouldn't be surprised if he was having all those feelings that any father would.
    I've been concerned about the fires close by to them and hoping and praying for the best outcome possible for Tim, his family and everyone affected by this tragic situation.
    His appearance at Richie's show makes me hopeful that he's actually ok and his usual sweet self.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    Here is the link to Richie'
    s group FB page....and all the photos & videos.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Furay/
    Thanks, MJ56! 💖

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

So where was Rusty Young? I know he was touring also celebrating 50 years of Poco. I know he tried to get Timothy to come along too, but that didn't happen.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

A bit late, but here's an excerpt from a write-up by Bob Lefsetz via his listserv:

"And after the [Buffalo] Springfield there was Poco. Where [Furay] gave Timothy B. Schmit a chance after Jim Messina exited the band. Last night Timothy B. said he was worried it wouldn't work out, but upstairs at the Troub, in one of the old dressing rooms, Richie told Timothy B. not to worry, he'd chosen him, he was the guy.

[...]

As for the second set, "Deliverin'"...

We couldn't afford many albums. But those we bought we knew by heart, we played them over and over again. So those in attendance were all singing along, as Richie and crew ripped through the numbers with an exuberance most twenty year olds don't display.

And when he hit "Hear That Music," penned and sung by Timothy B...

The man with the now long gray hair emerged from the wings with a lyric sheet...

I thought this would be substandard, a joke, some flubbed lines.

Some songs are forever, some are part of the passage to what comes next, even though hard core fans know them all.

Timothy B. had forgotten it, but when he stepped up to the mic it was 1971 all over again. His voice was crystal clear and he missed not a line. How Richie and Timothy can still hit the notes, sound like their young selves in their seventies, I do not know, but they do.

And the funny thing is even Jim Messina's number "You Better Think Twice" was a winner. It's been in my head all morning.

But when the show was over, after the applause continued, the band came out with Timothy B. for one more number.

Funny how the energy's still there. How when we hear this music it doesn't feel like nostalgia, but part of a long continuum. Funny how being at a show can be the same, sans seats of course. We used to take our music seriously, maybe standing is cool for punk shows, then again, these sexagenarians bravely stood throughout. It's just that our music was not background, not light and poppy and forgettable, but everything. It was the sauce that made life worth living and our records were our most prized possessions. We didn't go to the show to hang with our buddies and shoot selfies, but to connect with the gods on stage, as we closed our eyes and drifted away.

So Richie and crew were bringing us back down home where the folks are happy.

And when Richie and Timothy strode to the mics for the final number...they sang Poco's "A Good Feelin' To Know."

And it was."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten