Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Very Cool Story Pippin ! I can just see Glenn charming all the ladies !

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    @New Kid-- yep, Gram was married. They married in 1971, although they were separated by the time Gram died.
    Part of the appeal of Muscle Shoals for artists was they could live relatively normal lives while they were there. No one bothered them. Bob Seger had a house in the Shoals because he recorded there so often, and if I recall correctly, Glenn stayed there while he recorded in town. You would never know anything like that was happening, unless you were in the music scene.

I do know a funny story about Glenn from the time when he was recording there. Muscle Shoals is part of a group of towns they call the Quad Cities because they all run right into each other. Florence is the city just across the river and there's an ice cream parlor there called Trowbridge's. It's been open since the early 20th century. My mom and dad lived in Florence for a while (met there, even!) and they used to go a lot. When my sister was in college there, she would go, and I've been many times.

Anyway, a former co-worker who's from Florence knows most of the guys in the Swampers, the house band for Muscle Shoals Sound studio (everyone knows everybody). One of the guys in the band who knew her dad said he took Glenn to Trowbridge's one day and Glenn was a convert. He loved it because it looked like the places in Detroit where he went as a kid. It still does. LOL. Anyway, he'd go in the afternoons and eat ice cream. There were several older ladies who worked that shift and they loooovvved Glenn. It goes without saying he charmed their socks off. LOL. They petted him to death and thought he was the living end. Didn't care who he was. LOL. One of the ladies would just swoon when he walked in the door and would say, "Look there! It's my good-looking boyfriend!"

My sister said she was probably in there at the same time as Glenn, but just thought he was a gorgeous guy who came in, not that he was anybody famous. LOLOL.
    I love this story! That's adorable!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

@Soda -- Yeah, you know Glenn just ate up all that attention. LOLOL.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

So cute! And thanks for all the awesome travel tips. Muscle Shoals has been on my bucket list since seeing the great documentary a couple years ago. Trowbridge's is only 6 minutes away. Also nearby is Helen Keller's birthplace.

@NMB-- Helen Keller's birthplace is in Tuscumbia, which runs right into Muscle Shoals. There's also the Alabama Music Hall of Fame, as well as the Florence Indian Mound Museum, which is truly excellent (not very large, but SO well done!), the W.C. Handy Birthplace and Museum, and Pope's Tavern, which is in an old home and is a funky and eclectic collection of local history artifacts. You can also visit Wilson Dam, which started the process of making the Tennessee River more navigable along its length, and provided flood control and power generation. In short, it's a very cool area with a lot to see and do.

If you ever make it out this way, let me know! The U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is also very much worth a trip! (And we have some awesome food, too!)

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Anyway, a former co-worker who's from Florence knows most of the guys in the Swampers, the house band for Muscle Shoals Sound studio (everyone knows everybody). One of the guys in the band who knew her dad said he took Glenn to Trowbridge's one day and Glenn was a convert. He loved it because it looked like the places in Detroit where he went as a kid. It still does. LOL. Anyway, he'd go in the afternoons and eat ice cream. There were several older ladies who worked that shift and they loooovvved Glenn. It goes without saying he charmed their socks off. LOL. They petted him to death and thought he was the living end. Didn't care who he was. LOL. One of the ladies would just swoon when he walked in the door and would say, "Look there! It's my good-looking boyfriend!"

Ok Soda, we have to go back to Muscle Shoals and Florence!

Don't know who's been watching the Country Music special by Ken Burns on PBS, but this evening, they were covering 1972 to about 1982 or so. (I'll watch the last half hour later.)

Anyway, in late 72 or early 73, the Eagles played at Michigan State University. On the bill with them were Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris and Lester Flatt and his band! Quite a show, and variety you'd never see now. Just thought this was a cool little tidbit of Eagles history.
    Hi, Pippin, I’ve been watching it too.

Last night when Kathy Mattea’s song “Where’ve You Been” was discussed, I could have sworn I heard Don Henley named as one of the songwriters. My husband thought so as well. I guess we both need our hearing checked b/c I looked it up and it’s Don HENRY. LOL. It did occur to me that the song was too sentimental to be Henley’s.

Also, during the Garth Brooks segment, a picture of the early Eagles was flashed on the screen. That was cool to see.

Great story about Glenn and the ice cream.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

@NMB-- Helen Keller's birthplace is in Tuscumbia, which runs right into Muscle Shoals. There's also the Alabama Music Hall of Fame, as well as the Florence Indian Mound Museum, which is truly excellent (not very large, but SO well done!), the W.C. Handy Birthplace and Museum, and Pope's Tavern, which is in an old home and is a funky and eclectic collection of local history artifacts. You can also visit Wilson Dam, which started the process of making the Tennessee River more navigable along its length, and provided flood control and power generation. In short, it's a very cool area with a lot to see and do.

If you ever make it out this way, let me know! The U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is also very much worth a trip! (And we have some awesome food, too!)
    O my gosh, thank you so much - I'm obsessed with Indian mounds. Seriously, I was the president of our local archaeology society for a couple of years. I'll let you know iff'n when I make it up to Alabama. Thanks again!

Sorry to go OT, ya'll. Look at all these great musicians from Alabama! https://www.alamhof.org/inductees

@NMB -- You're very welcome! I'd love to see you if you ever visit!

@Soda and Houston Baby-- Come along! I'd love to see you all, too!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'd love to go to Muscle Shoals and, of course, loved the ice cream parlor story about Glenn. I am so not shocked that the ladies swooned over him.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016