Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thank you, Shun. I think Ronnie sounds good in that clip of Long Cool Woman. But I’m feeling really dumb right now- I didn’t know “How Long” was a Paul Carrack song. This whole time I thought Ambrosia sang it!
    You're not the only one, Delilah. At first I thought it was Eagles' How Long that's on the album. I was like what do Paul Carrack had to do with that song, but it was the other How Long version. I remembered that song, but I didn't know he had sung that song. I think the group was called Ace. Paul was in a lot of groups.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    You're not the only one, Delilah. At first I thought it was Eagles' How Long that's on the album. I was like what do Paul Carrack had to do with that song, but it was the other How Long version. I remembered that song, but I didn't know he had sung that song. I think the group was called Ace. Paul was in a lot of groups.
    Same here. There's too many songs with the same name, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Don't know who's been watching the Country Music special by Ken Burns on PBS, but this evening, they were covering 1972 to about 1982 or so. (I'll watch the last half hour later.)

Anyway, in late 72 or early 73, the Eagles played at Michigan State University. On the bill with them were Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris and Lester Flatt and his band! Quite a show, and variety you'd never see now. Just thought this was a cool little tidbit of Eagles history.

Stuck on the Border

Hi Pippin ! I have been watching it too and really enjoying it. I love Ken Burns, he does an amazing job on his documentaries. I was hoping they would do a little more on the County-Rock scene from that time period. I liked those photos of Bernie and the FBB. That was a really cool billing - such an interesting mix of music. But, that's how it was in the 70's. I'm waiting for some kind of bio on Gram Parsons - such a classic rich kid tragic life. I had forgotten what a nice voice he had. I am not a fan of Counrty music - it did not obviously have a tradition here. My parents never listened to or liked it and I never heard it on the radio. I could never get past the twangy sound. However, after watching this, I have come to appreciate the rich history and tradition.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I'm waiting for some kind of bio on Gram Parsons - such a classic rich kid tragic life.
    There are several books about Gram, including one co-written by his daughter Polly.

@NKIT -- There is a film called "Fallen Angel" about Gram. It's kind of a weird movie, but does cover Gram's career and they talk to his widow Gretchen (now married to the keyboardist in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Bob Carpenter), and maybe to Polly too. It's been a while since I've watched it. It's on DVD. The Belcourt Theater in Nashville showed it several years ago.

Your comment brings home how varied the music scene is around here. I'm sure it's because of Muscle Shoals in large part, as well as Memphis being close, but I heard country, pop, rock, soul, R&B, gospel, oldies and everything else on the radio down here. We listened to everything. Probably explains why I'm such a total music geek. LOL. My parents liked the more country rock sound, and my dad really liked the Eagles. And I listened to big band music on Mama's records. My sister and I also watched American Bandstand, as well as Soul Train. And our first musical crushes were the Osmonds. LOLOLOL.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Pippin, did you ever go to Montgomery to see Hank Williams resting place and/or the museum?

P.S. There was also a 2003 movie starring Christina Applegate called Grand Theft Parsons. I enjoyed it but it's by no means a "can't miss this" thang.

@NMB -- I have not been to either one, unfortunately. Montgomery is about 3.5 hours south of here, and I don't get down that way that often. I'll definitely try to make time to do that next time I head to the beach, though! Thanks for the reminder! Part of I-65 is called the Hank Williams Memorial Lost Highway in his memory, and I've driven that stretch: http://www.angelfire.com/country/hanksr/losthighway.htm

Stuck on the Border

Thank You Pippin and NMB. Gram Parsons was married ?!!!! I did not know that. When was he married ? I will see if my town library has the film. I would love to see it. Muscle Shoals must have been a cool place to be in the 70's and 80's. Pippin, I just watched the PBS special on the NGDB this past weekend. I missed some of it but I'm sure it will be shown again. I enjoyed it. Can you believe Jackson Browne was briefly a member of the NGDB in the 60's !
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 09-27-2019 at 06:57 AM.

@New Kid-- yep, Gram was married. They married in 1971, although they were separated by the time Gram died.
    Part of the appeal of Muscle Shoals for artists was they could live relatively normal lives while they were there. No one bothered them. Bob Seger had a house in the Shoals because he recorded there so often, and if I recall correctly, Glenn stayed there while he recorded in town. You would never know anything like that was happening, unless you were in the music scene.

I do know a funny story about Glenn from the time when he was recording there. Muscle Shoals is part of a group of towns they call the Quad Cities because they all run right into each other. Florence is the city just across the river and there's an ice cream parlor there called Trowbridge's. It's been open since the early 20th century. My mom and dad lived in Florence for a while (met there, even!) and they used to go a lot. When my sister was in college there, she would go, and I've been many times.

Anyway, a former co-worker who's from Florence knows most of the guys in the Swampers, the house band for Muscle Shoals Sound studio (everyone knows everybody). One of the guys in the band who knew her dad said he took Glenn to Trowbridge's one day and Glenn was a convert. He loved it because it looked like the places in Detroit where he went as a kid. It still does. LOL. Anyway, he'd go in the afternoons and eat ice cream. There were several older ladies who worked that shift and they loooovvved Glenn. It goes without saying he charmed their socks off. LOL. They petted him to death and thought he was the living end. Didn't care who he was. LOL. One of the ladies would just swoon when he walked in the door and would say, "Look there! It's my good-looking boyfriend!"

My sister said she was probably in there at the same time as Glenn, but just thought he was a gorgeous guy who came in, not that he was anybody famous. LOLOL.