Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

I've read a couple of versions of this story now (both links posted here) and this is an incredible story! So sad... and unreal.

My husband and I were avid watchers of the television show that Jack and Ozzy Osborne did where they traveled to different places across country. In one episode, they went to Iron Mountain, a place with high security that maintains a photography and images vault in a limestone cavern. They also mentioned that the Sony vault is there.

Here's an article about it:
    https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/busi...s-iron-moutain

I am also familiar with the restoration of old nitrate film, which, if I remember correctly, is just disappearing on its own if not treated. There is a place at Wright Patt Air Force base nearby that is in charge of some of the restoration and storage. It's a very precise and delicate process to repair and store this film.

But... it almost sounds like these masters were stashed in a warehouse. No... just... no! And will we ever know what was actually lost? The artists themselves don't seem to know. I hope an entire accounting of what is missing can come to light at some point.

Such a loss.

Stuck on the Border

Ca - I saw that particular show with Ozzie and Jack too. I was surprised they had a vault in a cave. It was really interesting. It is very sad that all those old films and albums are disappearing.

PS - I loved that show with Ozzie and Jack. Although, I could never understand 95 % of what Ozzie said. Thank God for the subtitles - lol !

Quick follow-up article from Variety:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...79k?li=BBnbhK0

And, a quote from Azoff:

Steely Dan’s manager Irving Azoff released a statement on behalf of the band. “We have been aware of ‘missing’ original Steely Dan tapes for a long time now,” he wrote. “We’ve never been given a plausible explanation. Maybe they burned up in the big fire. In any case, it’s certainly a lost treasure.”

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, Soda, I was about to post this myself. What a shame, especially since it appears there was no thorough inventory done so no one knows exactly what all was lost.

That being said, don’t the Eagles have their own vault? If so, then maybe they still have some master recordings. I also wonder if some of Glenn’s MCA material has been lost as well.
    I did a little research on this. In 2011, Don was using his organization, the RIAA, to push for an interpretation of copyright law that would allow artists to obtain their masters even if they hadn't made contractual arrangements to do so initially. At the time, the Eagles didn't have theirs yet; the law wouldn't go into effect until 2013. Obviously, this was post-2008, so....

Here's the 2011 article: "Copyright laws could give music rights back to musicians in 2013"

I wondered about Glenn's material, too, but I think the fact that his name is missing is a good sign. It looks like the author tried to list as many known artists (and even not-so-known artists) as possible in the article to emphasize the scope of the loss, so there's no reason for him to exclude Glenn if he had reason to believe his material was lost.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

So I'm guessing rights and masters are two different things. I always thought the Eagles had the rights to their albums and even had their original masters since the 70s (or got them later). Boy this music stuff is so confusing.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    So I'm guessing rights and masters are two different things.
    Indeed, but in this case, the article is talking about the rights to the masters which goes hand in hand with ownership of the masters.

The pertinent quote from that article: "Musicians granted the rights to their master tapes would be able to license their music for advertising, sell it to another label or distribute it themselves digitally via iTunes."

Of course, if you're in charge of your master tapes legally, you'll also presumably be in charge of deciding where they'll be stored physically. I doubt the Eagles would be allowed to store master tapes in their vault that they did not have the rights to; I think UMG would have a problem with that. UMG would want control of access to the tapes.

I always thought the Eagles had the rights to their albums and even had their original masters since the 70s (or got them later). Boy this music stuff is so confusing.
    It is confusing!

Don said this in 2011 in an interview with Rolling Stone:

RS: Why is it important to you to retrieve your master tapes?
    Don: We still sell a lot of catalog. So it would mean a great deal to us and our heirs. I have four kids. The future ain’t what it used to be, as somebody once said. For artists like the Eagles and others who have sold millions upon millions of records and made millions in profits for the record companies, those artists should get their creations back. It’s very simple. We created them, we paid for them – why aren’t they ours? But the record companies claim ownership and authorship, which is one of the absurd things in a recording contract.

RS: Have you filed termination rights paperwork for your work, starting with The Long Run?
    Don: Not yet. We’re discussing it.

-------------

So the band didn't have them as of 2011. (They mention starting with The Long Run because that would be the first Eagles album which would be eligible under this law.)

Thanks for the info on the copyright law change and termination rights. It was my understanding that the Eagles owned the publishing rights but not all the physical copies of their masters.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks for the info on the copyright law change and termination rights. It was my understanding that the Eagles owned the publishing rights but not all the physical copies of their masters.
    Yeah, that sounds right. I think the fact that they didn't own the physical copies limits what they can do in terms of mastering and gives the record company power that the Eagles did not want them to have. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I'm not savvy enough in such matters to know all the ins and outs.

Continuing on the fire that destroyed the masters:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...5lf?li=BBnbhK0

Hole, Soundgarden, and Steve Earle, as well as Tom Petty and Tupac Shakur’s respective estates filed a $100 million class-action lawsuit against UMG last Friday, claiming the company breached its contractual obligations to protect their recordings and to disclose any income received from settlements in the fire’s aftermath. Hole, among others, have said they were not aware their recordings were destroyed before The New York Times Magazine’s report.
    And more on the fire (and a continuation of the list of artists involved):
    https://www.spin.com/2019/06/univers...ng-jawbreaker/

I have a feeling this story is just starting to be told...

You know, I remember this happening, but didn't know the significance. I was still at the newspaper and the story about the fire was on the AP wire. As I recall, the statements at the time said something about backup copies, as if the "real" masters were stored elsewhere. Wish I could locate that story. But looks like this has been cover-up central.