Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Was reading elsewhere about the recent concerts from the guys. I noticed folks (non-media) had taken some nice photos. A lady said she was right by a guard, and people were filming and snapping away, and no one said anything!!!The end is surely near!!! Lol!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Was reading elsewhere about the recent concerts from the guys. I noticed folks (non-media) had taken some nice photos. A lady said she was right by a guard, and people were filming and snapping away, and no one said anything!!!The end is surely near!!! Lol!
    I have no interest in what the group now touring with that name is doing...

But I will say, perhaps Don Henley has started to finally wake up and smell the roses and realize the era of smartphones, social media, YouTube/Google, Spotify, streaming, etc is here to stay. Don is fighting a losing battle. Sure, he has a right to stand up for it. The youth of today is leading the future and is progressive. The time for fuddy duddy mentalities to realize that while they have the right to think the way they do, they will just be left behind in the dust by the masses and certainly by the younger generations who are going to be taking over. And not just in terms of using smartphones but in every area of replacing traditionalism and views as such and being more open to new things and getting rid of oppressive old irrelevant societal norms. To quote a line from the movie The Waterboy - you might think phones/foosball are the devil, lol, but Bobby is still gonna use 'em/play foosball anyway, mama! Don has been fighting a losing battle. Maybe he's given up or maybe that guard was slacking. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Personally, I can understand the qualms of the audience around you and holding up your phone all night. I can also understand the band's point of view of taking lots of video and posting it and it eating into concert revenue. But taking a few pictures and just being able to use your phone before the band even takes the stage (something that was a no-no on the HOTE tour when I found my seat and was just browsing to buy the time, with all the house lights ON!) - give me a break. People are going to take selfies, and photos to remember this by. Selfies aren't the devil, either. What, some people are happy with the way they look or just want to share a picture of themselves with the stage as a backdrop? Throw them in "narcissist row" at the jail! And if you or your opening act aren't on stage performing, be it before the show or during intermission - let them use their damn phones! It's hurting nothing. The lights are all on, people that don't need a bathroom break or a snack just sit there and what, stare at their shoes? Yes I know that's what happened years ago but smartphones are great for getting through boredom like that! Just because you can do without doesn't mean you have to. Nor do you always want to talk to others around you, lol. It's hurting nobody. It's just a control freak thing on the part of the band. That part of it is the least defensible vs photos/videos.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I see Joe doesn't mind phones at his shows in fact he makes fun of it. In Vegas at the House of Blues you can see him even go up to the side of the stage when someone wanted a picture. What a picture someone got. He looked right at them, smiling and playing. I think he actually enjoys the interaction with the crowd. Plus that brings in more fans too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    I see Joe doesn't mind phones at his shows in fact he makes fun of it. In Vegas at the House of Blues you can see him even go up to the side of the stage when someone wanted a picture. What a picture someone got. He looked right at them, smiling and playing. I think he actually enjoys the interaction with the crowd. Plus that brings in more fans too.
    Agreed. Sadly it isn't left up to Joe on the Eagles shows. And clearly it wasn't Glenn's decision since this has still been happening in the 3.0 era, at the very least until just now, but I do think it was a lenient guard who realizes how silly this is. Venue security is different than the Eagles own security team. That was the threat I was given by venue security at the HOTE show. If you keep using your phone *before the band even shows up*, Eagles security in the black shirts will come remove you. It was intimidation.

This has always been Henley's idea and his rule. His solo shows are run the same exact way. And clearly Glenn deferred to Don on this and was okay with it, but my guess is he would have been ok with a couple pictures and using your phone before the show even starts too. But if you look at the way Henley views technology and the internet in general, it's no wonder that it was him all along. His myopic view of that really will not do him any favors and as the years pass, it looks worse and worse and is less valid.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for sharing that info, FF. The band's cell phone policies have, obviously, been controversial among fans. I'll leave it at that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

The band's Facebook page reports that Deacon will not be appearing at the opening of their tour on the 19th in Savannah due to illness. They state "Deacon's band mates will take over his tour duties in his absence. Deacon rejoining the band for performances will be based on his recovery and doctor's recommendations".
    Wonder what they will do? Other dates 21,24, 25, 28th, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    The band's Facebook page reports that Deacon will not be appearing at the opening of their tour on the 19th in Savannah due to illness. They state "Deacon's band mates will take over his tour duties in his absence. Deacon rejoining the band for performances will be based on his recovery and doctor's recommendations".
    Wonder what they will do? Other dates 21,24, 25, 28th, etc.....
    I'm sure they will just have Vince sing those songs that Deacon normally does. Which if it's a rocker like Already Gone, woof. lol He's not a rocker. He's a crooner. But if it's just one show I guess it won't matter. It matters none to me because I wouldn't go without Glenn regardless, but yeah I think they need Deacon to do those numbers. Personally I always thought it was strange having VG singing Heartache Tonight and Deacon singing PEF, but that's just me. The rest of the songs made sense on who to give them to. Deacon has a rockin' voice with some edge like his dad, with less of the smooth warm vocal thing his dad had. But for one show this isn't some crisis. Just give Vince a chance to memorize lyrics to those songs and you pretty much go on without much extra rehearsal or personnel change. They were lucky in that regard to have the two singers.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 02-18-2022 at 01:22 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Reports are that Tim did Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Vince did Already Gone and Take it Easy. Oddly, they said that Deacon was not mentioned....and that Glenn's photo was not shown, nor was he referred to.

If Glenn's photo is not being shown and he's not being mentioned, it seems like there's more going on than a temporary absence. That takes re-coordinating aspects of the show.

Did Don think people wouldn't want to look at a photo of Glenn if someone besides his son was singing? That's ridiculous. People would never be adverse to seeing an image of Glenn or at least hearing a shout out to him. These are Eagles fans! I think it's more likely he's hoping they can finally emerge from Glenn's shadow. Showing Glenn's image and giving him a shout out distracts from who is singing at the time. Perhaps Don doesn't want a split focus anymore. Let's not think about him right now.

If that's the case, then Deacon won't be back... and all that talk back in 2017 about how continuing the Eagles was only "justified" if there was with Frey "family blood" in the band was BS.

I guess we'll see.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well, I agree. You'd think they would say something along the lines of "A big get well to Deacon; to sing one of his Dad's songs, here's Timothy!" and continue to show the photo.