Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Gram Parsons called the Eagles 'bubblegum'. If there was a band he wanted to join, it was the Rolling Stones.

The commenter needed to have been a great deal more specific if he wished his claim to be believed.
    What did he mean by “Bubblegum” exactly? I’m sure it’s an insult but what didn’t he like about them

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    What did he mean by “Bubblegum” exactly? I’m sure it’s an insult but what didn’t he like about them
    Too sugary sweet, a pop band, not a rock band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_pop

Oh, and he also called them a 'plastic dry f*k'.

http://epicdirty.blogspot.com.au/201...vs-eagles.html

Too sugary sweet, a pop band, not a rock band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_pop

Oh, and he also called them a 'plastic dry f*k'.

http://epicdirty.blogspot.com.au/201...vs-eagles.html
    That’s odd, I can understand them being too pop for his tastes but Bernie was In it the band, and the others had some similar musical tastes and backgrounds

Stuck on the Border

Just my HO but Gram was envious of the Eagles success. At that time in his life he could barley get an album deal and was spinning out of control with his drug use. Bernie knew what Gram was like I can not see him agreeing to have him join the band. Gram was accused of being lazy, unmotivated and not willing to put the time in to make the BB a success. The Eagles were none of these. What is the relationship to Glenn/Don via the person who made that statement?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Just my HO but Gram was envious of the Eagles success. At that time in his life he could barley get an album deal and was spinning out of control with his drug use. Bernie knew what Gram was like I can not see him agreeing to have him join the band. Gram was accused of being lazy, unmotivated and not willing to put the time in to make the BB a success. The Eagles were none of these. What is the relationship to Glenn/Don via the person who made that statement?
    He claimed he spent a night talking to them having met them backstage after they opened for Joe on the On The Border tour (????). See the link to Henry Diltz's Facebook page. All it is is an unsubstantiated claim that the guy talked to Glenn & Don one night. It is somewhat telling that he misspells Glenn's name until he is corrected.

I met them backstage after they opened for Joe Walsh on The On the Border tour.

So they opened for Joe Walsh on their own tour, did they?

Stuck on the Border

He claimed he spent a night talking to them having met them backstage after they opened for Joe on the On The Border tour (????). See the link to Henry Diltz's Facebook page. All it is is an unsubstantiated claim that the guy talked to Glenn & Don one night. It is somewhat telling that he misspells Glenn's name until he is corrected.
    I met them backstage after they opened for Joe Walsh on The On the Border tour.
    So they opened for Joe Walsh on their own tour, did they?
    Thanks FP, Yeah, I saw that on Henry's FB Page. Sorry I just don't buy it. I could never see Bernie agreeing to it. Why would they open up like that to someone they had never met before. They were always closed mouth about band business, why disclose this to a total stranger ?

I like Gram for what he did with The Rolling Stones, but the guy doesn't do anything for me otherwise. Same with David Crosby. I like CSN(Y), but not as much as the Eagles. But they are what I like to call music purists. If it isn't true blue music that speaks from the heart or is too lighthearted, they hate it. These people love "Harvest Moon" but hate "Heartache Tonight". Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.

For better or worse, I've never been scared off by poppier material. A lot of music purists will try to tell you it's wrong to like pop music, but the way I see it, if a song became a hit, it was because it was well liked by a LOT of people. I've always been a hits guy. Not just because they are hits but I've just always found that I know why certain deep tracks are deep tracks and not hits and that my tastes always aligned with the hit songs. Some just go crazy talking about overplayed songs, radio, pop music, hits, etc and I've never been bothered by any of that. If I like a song, I could listen to it 100 times and want to listen more.

It's probably why I'm a bit polarizing in my music views. I appeal to the classic rock diehards who think they don't make good music anymore, and I also shock them when I tell them I listen and enjoy pop country, as an example, because it sounds like classic rock. Or if I tell a classic country fan I love pop country. You would think they were going to throw a blood clot. I DO think some pop music sucks, but not all. I also can enjoy songs without a lot of lyrical depth, and I'm a sucker for fun uptempo guitar driven party songs that drive the purists nuts. Since I'm not that way in real life, I can live out that small side of me through music. Maybe it's because I'm not that serious all the time, but I love fun songs. It's the equivalent of what some call junk food. To me it's comfort food. And it's very good tasting and makes me happy. Maybe it's not really loaded with nutritious properties, or perfectly healthy to eat all the time, but feels good.

I think the Eagles split the difference. And so if someone cares to listen, they can appeal to more serious listeners and those of us just looking for a good time. Unfortunately Parsons, Crosby, and their ilk just never could see past the more poppier stuff to get to the deeper meaning type songs. It's very much their loss.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Here's another list of top-selling artists in the US.
    https://www.workandmoney.com/s/best-...rm=msn-uk-home

It's not exactly in "the press", but I thought this was just funny. And I needed a laugh today. Saw it on Facebook. One of the mods can move it to a more apropos thread if need be. Hope someone else gets a chuckle from it, too.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks Pippin - that's cute. I could use a laugh today too. Thank You.