Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Eagles Live Album

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Eagles Live Album

Voting for Hotel California

Border Rebel

Hotel California

Well let me just say I'm so thrilled Hotel California has made it at least two rounds since the first vote against it. It deserves to last.

Let's continue to save it and join me by voting for Take It To The Limit this round.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

OMG, it is getting harder and harder ! I can't choose TIE and TITTL - I love those songs !
    Even though I love the song I vote for Wasted Time.

Sorry Austin, I vote for HOTEL CALIFORNIA

It's because of the overdubbing again. The real performance was epic, one of their best and one of my favorite versions.

The release is a farce in comparison. I just cannot understand why they would overdub what was an amazing original performance. While I dislike the mixing of the whole album, this is one of those songs which take the cake. The drums are not nicely done considering the live setting. It feels like 80% of the track was redone in studio. The vocals are really different compared to the actual performance too.

It makes me wonder how would the performances on 27th and 28th sound like then. Would they have screwed it up even more on those dates?
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Randy did say he returned to the studio for overdubbing but he didn’t specify which songs.

At any rate, I can’t believe Take It to the Limit​ is getting votes already!! It has been a standout live song for this band as well as one garnering standing ovations and wild applause. On this particular track, both Joe and Glenn praise it (although Glenn’s words were moved and dubbed in after another song ).

And may I add, this ain’t no easy song to sing. I agree with what others have said, this is a beautiful performance and does not deserve an early exit.

I’m not voting yet, as I have to do some strategic considering.
    I want Take It to the Limit to be one of the last songs to go too! This is probably one of the few genuine songs left in the album. I do wonder if Randy overdubbed the high notes though...

And yeah, Take It Easy is pretty much on the low too. And it's horrible that a good chunk of Joe's solo was cut towards the end! That's just too bad!

Yep. TITTL is one of the hardest Eagles songs to sing. And you may remember that one of Glenn's words of appreciation for this song on Oct. 22nd appeared as banter for The Long Run in this album. How sad!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Hmm. I just cannot believe that.

I'm pretty sure LBG on Eagles Live has Felder on a lot of it.
    I listened to a bootleg of the July 29th performance at Santa Monica, and the differences were obvious.

I really don't think Felder was there in the release. His Music Man Axis sounded so different compared to Joe's Gold Top. And I could only hear the Gold Top in the release. Whereas the actual performance had Felder clearly on it, towards the end.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As I've said before on the topic of overdubbing, it doesn't really bother me. It's a very common practice among bands and most "live" albums are 'tweeked' to some extent. Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in analyzing every line in every song to compare it with other performances. And no offense intended, but, none of us were present during the production and mixing of this album, so I don't wish to rely on outsider's opinions about what or how much of the album was overdubbed. For me, what is most important is the overall style of the performance, as well as, how the band's emotional connection to the song and engagement with the audience seems to come through. While others may differ, that's my criteria for judging these performances. For me personally, I happen to have a very enjoyable experience when I listen to this particular album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

In my humble opinion, I find very interesting the Austin's and cosec's posts about overdubbing. It's another aspect of the album to consider.

Take it to the limit