Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Eagles Live Album

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Eagles Live Album

Please save Hotel California.

I just don't think ballads transfer over very well to a live rock band application. And I just don't think they really shine with them. They really are more like a guitar band to me than a vocal band. That's just my 2c.

When someone was talking about Randy's pronunciation of "life in the fast lean", I'm like whoa! I can't even tell the harmonies apart here to tell who is singing what on harmony. I can pick out the lead singer but that's about it! Where as I can pick out each guitarist with ease. Shows my bias I suppose but it's still how I process it. I just don't care about the harmonies. When people talk about how they weren't as good with Joe as they were with Bernie, I'm like - who cares! They need to rock more, and croon less, lol. I like it when they put on the distorted guitars and let loose. Hotel California isn't all that distorted until the solos come in, but it's still more of a rocker to me than Wasted Time, Desperado, and Seven Bridges Road. And I like that. I really am more of a AC/DC, Aerosmith, Stones, Zeppelin guy than CSN or the Oak Ridge Boys.

To me the Eagles always shined more as a hard rockin' guitar outfit than a vocal-conscious harmony band. They really are better at Life In The Fast Lane and Hotel California than they are at Seven Bridges Road or Desperado, to me anyway. They were more Aerosmith than Crosby, Stills, and Nash to me. Obviously I'm probably in the minority here, per usual, but it's still a valid point to bring up I think. They really can rock.

I'm not harmony-conscious so I couldn't tell you who's singing what. I'm just not into it I guess. It never is what brought me into the band. The first two records did nothing for me, about the time of OTB/OOTN I get into it more but my favorites will always be Hotel California and The Long Run for albums. And I like that greasy rock n' roll swagger more than I do smooth California country rock. It puts me to sleep, haha.

Vote for Seven Bridges Road, Wasted Time, or even The Long Run if you have to, but please save Hotel California! It's the band at their best. I would very much appreciate saving HC for at least another round.

Thank you all!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm going to withhold my vote for now because I don't know what song I want to vote for at this point. Of the songs that have gotten votes this round, the one that I really do NOT want to go down is The Long Run. I'm not saying it's the best song, but I do think this version of the song is one of the highlights of the album. I am definitely partial to the songs that have some variations from the studio versions. So, I'm going to wait and see how the rest of this round plays out.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Please save Hotel California.

I just don't think ballads transfer over very well to a live rock band application. And I just don't think they really shine with them. They really are more like a guitar band to me than a vocal band. That's just my 2c.

When someone was talking about Randy's pronunciation of "life in the fast lean", I'm like whoa! I can't even tell the harmonies apart here to tell who is singing what on harmony. I can pick out the lead singer but that's about it! Where as I can pick out each guitarist with ease. Shows my bias I suppose but it's still how I process it. I just don't care about the harmonies. When people talk about how they weren't as good with Joe as they were with Bernie, I'm like - who cares! They need to rock more, and croon less, lol. I like it when they put on the distorted guitars and let loose. Hotel California isn't all that distorted until the solos come in, but it's still more of a rocker to me than Wasted Time, Desperado, and Seven Bridges Road. And I like that. I really am more of a AC/DC, Aerosmith, Stones, Zeppelin guy than CSN or the Oak Ridge Boys.

To me the Eagles always shined more as a hard rockin' guitar outfit than a vocal-conscious harmony band. They really are better at Life In The Fast Lane and Hotel California than they are at Seven Bridges Road or Desperado, to me anyway. They were more Aerosmith than Crosby, Stills, and Nash to me. Obviously I'm probably in the minority here, per usual, but it's still a valid point to bring up I think. They really can rock.

I'm not harmony-conscious so I couldn't tell you who's singing what. I'm just not into it I guess. It never is what brought me into the band. The first two records did nothing for me, about the time of OTB/OOTN I get into it more but my favorites will always be Hotel California and The Long Run for albums. And I like that greasy rock n' roll swagger more than I do smooth California country rock. It puts me to sleep, haha.

Vote for Seven Bridges Road, Wasted Time, or even The Long Run if you have to, but please save Hotel California! It's the band at their best. I would very much appreciate saving HC for at least another round.

Thank you all!
    Austin, my only pang about voting for "Hotel California" was how much you love it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Austin, my only pang about voting for "Hotel California" was how much you love it!
    Thank you!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm surprised "Seven Bridges Road" is getting votes. Is it because of the dubbing controversy?
    For me, yes. It is probably the most heavily over-dubbed song on “perhaps the most heavily over-dubbed live album in history” as Rolling Stone put it. I still like the song, but this version has lost most of its charm due to the studio trickery. My go-to version now is ‘76 Seattle Live, despite its audio shortcomings.

I vote for Seven Bridges Road.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

For me personally, the dubbing doesn't bother me on SBR. Why? Because I wasn't a huge fan of it to begin with.

If it had been HC or LITFL or LBG that had been overdubbed, I'm sure I'd be right there with those who are upset about it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Well - It doesn't look like there's any chance of saving The Long Run. It makes me sad because, as I already said, I love this version. Austin, I have to admit I would have voted for Hotel California if I could have saved The Long Run. Of course, HC is my very favorite Eagles song, and I literally got chills every time I heard it played live, but I don't think the excitement of the live performance gets captured very well on audio or video for some strange reason. So, I have decided that I will vote strategically again ...

I cast my vote for Take It to the Limit.

Default Re: Results of Round Seven

The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is The Long Run. “The Long Run” the tribe has spoken and we did you some damage, we know it's true. You didn't go the distance cause you couldn't handle the resistance. You're bent, but you're not broken so you should treat yourself better and leave the island immediately.

Votes
    The Long Run – 4
    Hotel California – 3
    Seven Bridges Road – 3
    Wasted Time – 2
    Take It to the Limit – 1

Vote Breakdown
    The Long Run – New Kid In Town
    The Long Run – Brooke
    The Long Run – CainOH
    The Long Run – East Texas Girl
    Hotel California – sodascouts
    Hotel California – Desperada
    Hotel California – scottside
    Seven Bridges Road – groupie2686
    Seven Bridges Road – takeiteasy
    Seven Bridges Road – Delilah
    Wasted Time – WalshFan88
    Wasted Time – Glennsallnighter
    Take It to the Limit – Ive always been a dreamer

Performances Eliminated
    All Night Long 2/08
    Life's Been Good 2/10
    I Can't Tell You Why 2/12
    Saturday Night 2/14
    Desperado 2/16
    Life in the Fast Lane 2/18
    The Long Run 2/20

Performances Remaining
    Hotel California
    Heartache Tonight
    New Kid in Town
    Seven Bridges Road
    Wasted Time
    Take It to the Limit
    Take It Easy

Voting for Round 8 begins now.

Whew, that was a close one.

I vote for Seven Bridges Road.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm heading away North for a few days so I'll get my vote in early in case the wifi in the hotel is a bit precarious. I'll vote 'Wasted Time' again although i hope I don't regret it later!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP