Thread: Complete Works, The first compilation to feature an entire album?

Out on the Border

Default Complete Works, The first compilation to feature an entire album?

Hi,
    This is my first post here so I thought I'd open up a can of worms with regards to the tracklisting on Complete Works four disc set.

I've noticed that eight of the nine songs off Hotel California appear on the discs that contain the studio version's.On the fourth disc there's a live version of the ninth song that didn't make the first three discs.I take it this would count as an entire studio album's song list making a compilation for the first time?

If I was to crave for the studio version of Victim Of Love then ideally I'd have to buy HC or a compilation that contains this song.Are there any other compilations that are similar?Perhaps Thriller made it's way onto a MJ compilation?Perhaps groups have recorded live version's of an entire album,but has this been scattered across a compilation?Typical record company thing,keeping the interest and curiosity alive by leaving one song off.

Great compilation though,seven songs from the Long Run.Not to many repeats on the live disc of the studio takes,solo hits live,a few out takes,a disc of ballads old granny would like and a proud fan who bagged a bargain for $19.99 Aussie Dollars.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Complete Works, The first compilation to feature an entire album?

Hi Mike and welcome to The Border. I presume you are referring to the 'Selected Works' compilation - at least that is what it is called in the U.S. And, yes, that is the band's only official compilation release that includes all songs off of a studio album. I can't speak to whether or not there are other artists that have included an entire album on a compilation release or not. But, if I were a betting person, I'd guess there are others out there.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's an interesting observation. Fleetwood Mac have released collections that have 9 out of the 11 songs from Rumours, but not the whole album!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's an interesting observation. Fleetwood Mac have released collections that have 9 out of the 11 songs from Rumours, but not the whole album!
    Yes it is Selected Works,and it is the only compilation to feature an entire album.The FM compilation "The Chain" has all but two of the songs off Rumors.That too was a bargain at $20.00 AUD,four cd's covering the band's entire career.