Thread: Steuart Smith Appreciation Thread

Default Steuart Smith Appreciation Thread

I've debated about making this thread for long enough now and it's finally time to just do it. I think Steuart has brought a LOT to this band. You may prefer Don Felder, that's fine. You may even harbor resentment to him for taking his place (lord knows I did at one point as a Felder fanatic). I think he's probably the most versatile guitarist they've ever had. And he really brought a lot to the LROOE recordings I feel.

He's as Glenn said in the doc, a terrific musician. He has a unique fingerstyle and pinch harmonic technique, which does make him stand out from Felder - even playing note for note. He can play country equally as well as rock and roll and blues, and he's a great studio musician. He's also brought a lot to Don's solo shows over the years. He's very much a big part of their sound. He can play Bernie Leadon parts and Don Felder parts. He really works well with Joe too, and they've developed a cool thing onstage I feel, over the years. Is it like Felder and Walsh in the 70s, maybe not. But I feel that they both enjoy playing together. And while he's not an Eagle and wasn't in the trenches, he's earned his place in the band's history. I'm glad they included a part on him in the HOTE doc. I feel like that was a nice tip of the hat and very well done.

I just watched F1 recently and I really was mesmerized by his playing. I've always thought he was great, but the guy has chops. Who cares if he sounds or plays just like Don Felder or not. He's Steuart Smith and he can play.

Please feel free to share Stu stories from concerts, why you like him, and post your favorite pictures or videos. I think it's time we give a little credit to this guy with a thread of his own. He really deserves it.

Here's my personal favorite Steuart pic:

-Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Steuart Smith Appreciation Thread

I've never liked how he plays the ICTYW solo, but that's the ONLY negative thing I can say. I didn't like Felder's versions either. Too "interpreted", if such a word exists. I'd prefer a more straight and simple approach that can be heard on the album.

Now that I got that out of my system, I think I value him most for his writing. Who knows how many great songs he would have co-written if they had kept on making records when Glenn was alive? I feel he was only getting started on "Eden". WITW is a classic song to me, although Steuart was probably more responsible for the middle part than the main song. (Don said that Steuart added cinematic qualities to the music.)

Steuart played several important guitar parts on "Eden". Live, I think he gets the "job done", but I'm more interested in what he could have offered in creating new music - writing and guitar parts.

Steuart has done an awful lot of good for the Eagles and he's not even a member!!

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I've never liked how he plays the ICTYW solo, but that's the ONLY negative thing I can say. I didn't like Felder's versions either. Too "interpreted", if such a word exists. I'd prefer a more straight and simple approach that can be heard on the album.

Now that I got that out of my system, I think I value him most for his writing. Who knows how many great songs he would have co-written if they had kept on making records when Glenn was alive? I feel he was only getting started on "Eden". WITW is a classic song to me, although Steuart was probably more responsible for the middle part than the main song. (Don said that Steuart added cinematic qualities to the music.)

Steuart played several important guitar parts on "Eden". Live, I think he gets the "job done", but I'm more interested in what he could have offered in creating new music - writing and guitar parts.

Steuart has done an awful lot of good for the Eagles and he's not even a member!!
    I agree with you on the ICTYW solo, but Felder was just as guilty of that, as you stated. Frey's less is more bluesy style is not best replicated by a schooled technical guitarist. It's too "precise" for me.

I think his writing is great, and I definitely would have loved to see that continue if not for Glenn's passing. He certainly brought a lot to LROOE, IMO.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I pretty much agree with what both of you have said. Steuart has loads of talent for sure and I am a bit partial to him since he's from my home state. As I've said before, I think what is particularly sad about the Eagles story is that Steuart wasn't ever made an official member partly because they (or maybe just Glenn) didn't want any lineup changes for the band in the twilight of their career. Looking back now as to what's transpired, it's too bad that it didn't happen. But, you never know - Steuart strikes me as being a low-key guy so maybe he wasn't interested in the pressure and attention that becoming an Eagle would bring to his life.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Agreed Dreamer.

He doesn't have a website, or any social accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc). He seems to like being pretty low key. I can't say I blame him.

For a guitarist, it's very hard to find information on his guitars and gear, and certainly no YouTube videos of him just talking or playing to the camera.

The only time I've heard him talk is on HOTE!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 03-09-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger