Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

  1. #1
    Border Desperado cosec3791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    227

    Default Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    Hey everyone!

    First post here in this section of the board! So, after all the schoolwork, everything's all done... for now..

    Anyways, being a classic rock fan, but from Generation Z, I wouldn't really know most of the other legendary acts of the multiple years prior to the Eagles. So instead of sticking with the Eagles, I decided to search and search and search for various artists. Artists I heard of or saw in anything related to the Eagles, usual names brought out during discussions. I recently got into Spotify and searched up live albums. I got out of my comfort zone finally, and I can say that I have a much more varied, proper interest in classic rock than ever before.

    Recently, I started wondering which were the most definitive rock acts of each year from 1965 onwards, obviously in an effort to listen and know more. However, I had doubts about the most definitive artists of certain years, but I got my opinions on some of them. So what I want you all knowledgeable people to do, is to suggest me some acts of a certain year. So yeah, these are those definitive artists acc. to year from 1965 onwards. You guys could suggest an artist and even a song which is a highlight of their career that year, or even suggest rock songs pre 1965. Preferably not the following though: folk pop or rock 'n roll. Please remember you could tell any artist of any genre!

    The format here is: Year- Artist/Band- Song- Live Performance of that song from that year (if you could)

    1965- The Who- My Generation- BBC Sessions
    1966-
    1967- The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Purple Haze- Live at Monterey
    1968- Cream- Sunshine of your Love- Live at Back Bay Theater, MA, USA
    1969- Gypsy Sun and Rainbows- Voodoo Child (Slight Return)- Live at Woodstock
    1970- Black Sabbath- War Pigs- Live at Paris 1970
    1971- Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven- Flying Rock Carnival Complete (live at the Budokan, Tokyo, Japan- 09/23/71)
    1972- Deep Purple- Smoke on the Water- Live in Japan
    1973-
    1974-
    1975-
    1976- Eagles- Hotel California- Hotel California 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition


    From there on I really don't know, so it would be wonderful if you guys could contribute and suggest more. I would love to hear all of your opinions on this list and even say if there was another more definitive artist! Be free to tell who are your favorites!
    The chemistry... nuff said

  2. #2
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,654

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    So, it has to be a live performance of a song from that year, right?

    I'm a bit confused about the rest of your criteria.

    So, you want a definitive BAND for a year? Like, do you mean the band that has the most "definitive song" of that year? And then do you want a version of that song performed live that same year?

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  3. #3
    Border Desperado cosec3791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So, it has to be a live performance of a song from that year, right?

    I'm a bit confused about the rest of your criteria.

    So, you want a definitive BAND for a year? Like, do you mean the band that has the most "definitive song" of that year? And then do you want a version of that song performed live that same year?
    So sorry for that. I was probably too excited and wrote it in a harried fashion!

    Basically I would just like the year, the artist which is definitive of the year, and a song which is a highlight of his/her/their career, but not anachronistic (E.g. not 1973- Eagles- Hotel California, because HC wasn't released in 1973). You could even tell a cover which is one of the artist's highlights (for E.g- Turn to Stone {Joe Walsh cover}- Eagles)

    Relating to the Eagles, I chose 1976, because they arguably hit their pinnacle here.

    Live performances are not necessary, but I would LOVE if you could tell one. Can be anything from a bootleg (even audience) to an official live album, etc. THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!!

    I just would LOVE if someone told a live performance because I always listen to artists via live stuff first. Almost all the artists I mentioned here were known via live stuff. I haven't even heard a studio recording of them! Just live performances.

    I feel like live performances are REALLY important, as they highlight the artists' talent, ability, and even credulity without the comfort, help, and with the reverberation. For example, how Jimi Hendrix could do Little Wing without as much studio trickery, or how HC was done without the ease and comfort of the studio, where 12 string acoustic guitars could be used, thus necessitating the EDS-1275 guitar for Felder, etc.

    And lastly, you guys could even suggest another artist and their highlight song which is of a year already filled in with (like 1972, etc.)
    The chemistry... nuff said

  4. #4
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA
    Posts
    20,163

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    cosec - I'll contribute to your thread because I think it's an interesting topic. However, I'm afraid I can't cite live performances and my list includes all genres of Rock and Roll. I think some of your choices are really good, but I'll offer some alternatives. Quite honestly, I could have chosen a Beatles song for every year in the 60's, but I thought other artists should be recognized. I moved Hotel California in my list to 1977 since that's the year the single was released, and I also took my list through 1979. So here goes ...

    1965 - The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    1966 - The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
    1967 - Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth
    1968 - The Beatles - Hey Jude
    1969 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary and Bad Moon Rising
    1970 - Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters
    1971 - John Lennon - Imagine
    1972 - Elton John - Rocket Man
    1973 - Aerosmith - Dream On
    1974 - James Taylor - How Sweet It Is
    1975 - Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    1976 - Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon
    1977 - Eagles - Hotel California
    1978 - The Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
    1979 - Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall (2)

    "People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

  5. #5
    Border Desperado cosec3791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    cosec - I'll contribute to your thread because I think it's an interesting topic. However, I'm afraid I can't cite live performances and my list includes all genres of Rock and Roll. I think some of your choices are really good, but I'll offer some alternatives. Quite honestly, I could have chosen a Beatles song for every year in the 60's, but I thought other artists should be recognized. I moved Hotel California in my list to 1977 since that's the year the single was released, and I also took my list through 1979. So here goes ...

    1965 - The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    1966 - The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
    1967 - Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth
    1968 - The Beatles - Hey Jude
    1969 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary and Bad Moon Rising
    1970 - Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters
    1971 - John Lennon - Imagine
    1972 - Elton John - Rocket Man
    1973 - Aerosmith - Dream On
    1974 - James Taylor - How Sweet It Is
    1975 - Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    1976 - Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon
    1977 - Eagles - Hotel California
    1978 - The Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
    1979 - Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall (2)

    Wonderful choices! Thanks for replying! Really appreciate it!!

    It's okay, most people don't care about them anyways. I'm willing to research 'em myself!

    It's obvious you're slightly on the softer side. Many bands who are in the soft/folk rock category. Clearly you're into the studio side of things, while I'm into arena rock types. Nevertheless, that's what I love about classic rock! The sheer diversity of it all!

    Now, I'll give my opinion on the alternatives:

    1965- Hmmm, I'll put this for 1966 actually. This is due to my live preferences. There is a great performance of it on Got LIVE if You Want It!, from 1966 Bristol. I always wanted just a second opinion on for this song. Thanks! I also thought of putting "Like A Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan.

    1966- Ehhhhhhh.... I actually did listen to a live performance of it, and was underwhelmed. I guess it was too soft for my tastes. The instruments weren't all that distinctive either..

    1967- Hmmm, really? I mean Buffalo Springfield are pretty influential, but I feel the definitive acts of that time were The Rolling Stones, The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream. Could you enlighten me about why you think so? I mean, I've heard of them quite a few times, but I would like to know more about this band.

    1968- Ah the Beatles. At this point, the Beatles were not into it live. That's why I put them off mostly. Such a shame. It would've made it much tougher for me to think about Cream. I would've liked to see a real Beatles live performance of Helter Skelter especially.

    1969- I'll give this song a listen. I always heard a lot of great stuff about CCR, including their Woodstock inclusion. However, I still really feel that Hendrix was THE act of '69. The chaotic final years of the Experience, Woodstock (arguably one of his greatest performances) and even the Band of Gypsies being there, truly astounding and massive. Speaking of Woodstock, John Fogerty is gonna perform at Woodstock 50!

    1970- A band I've yet to listen to. Heard a lot of stuff about them too. Though I'm worried that they're too soft for my liking. However, I still feel Black Sabbath are THE band of 1970. They created multiple genres within one year!

    1971- Great choice. Will listen to it. Great alternative to the Zep. I may even change my list if I see something awesome live from John Lennon. Are there any songs which hit hard from him?

    1972- Another great choice! If there was an amazing live performance, I would find it much harder to put Deep Purple, but due to it not being so, Deep Purple was a no brainer. They surprised everyone with arguably the most epic album of 1972, and their Machine Head tour (ESPECIALLY Japan) was heralded as one of the best tours in the history of rock PERIOD. They were incredibly amazing that time, with epic jams and improvisation and interplay.

    1973- Hmm gotta listen to them also. A relative of mine actually told that it was her favorite band. I thought of Led Zeppelin for this one too.

    1974- Okay, a Marvin Gaye cover. The first Marvin Gaye cover I actually listened to was Ain't that Peculiar, performed by Fanny. If it's anything like that, I'm down for it! Any other acts? Preferably hard rock/arena rock/heavy metal (basically like the artists I mentioned)? Were Emerson, Lake and Palmer amazing that time?

    1975- Ah yes! I was thinking of putting them there, but I didn't due to their best live performances being in the 80's. I was thinking of trying to go till 1990, and I figured that it should come somewhere during 1980-85.

    1976- I would've put 1977 for this one just because the Rumours tour was in 1977. Any others from this year other than the Eagles/Fleetwood Mac?

    1977- Yes, the band for which this board is dedicated. Previously, I put it there, but I thought about Fleetwood Mac, and thus, put it in 1976 instead. I feel however, their peak popularity was definitely in 1977. But, I feel their best live performances were still in 1976.

    1978- The Bee Gees?????? I'm sorry, and I really don't mean to offend, but I was talking about rock songs, not disco. Anyone else?

    1979- Great choice. I'm putting them for 1980 however, as The Wall tour happened during this year.

    So thanks a lot!! Anyone else?
    The chemistry... nuff said

  6. #6
    Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Randyland
    Posts
    3,784

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    For 1974, I would suggest ďRadar LoveĒ by Golden Earring. The song is more definitive than the band I guess (at least in the U.S.). I was a little kid back then, so I tend to think of hit singles. Elton John was a huge star, but thatís more pop music than rock.

  7. #7
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA
    Posts
    20,163

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    It's obvious you're slightly on the softer side. Many bands who are in the soft/folk rock category. Clearly you're into the studio side of things, while I'm into arena rock types. Nevertheless, that's what I love about classic rock! The sheer diversity of it all!
    I actually have an appreciation for all types of rock and roll music. I think there is some really good music no matter what the genre or sub-genre. There is also some really bad music in all of them too. I also have a respect for artistsí talents whether I am listening to a studio version or a live version of a song. Personally, I donít necessarily believe that an artistís talent is showcased more in live performances. I have an immense appreciation for the song-writing process and the creativity involved in turning a few words or notes into a great piece of art. For example, in the case of the Eagles, I believe one of their biggest strengths as a band was their talent for collaborating in the songwriting process and arranging and perfecting their art in the studio.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    1966- Ehhhhhhh.... I actually did listen to a live performance of it, and was underwhelmed. I guess it was too soft for my tastes. The instruments weren't all that distinctive either..
    Iím not a huge Beach Boys fan either, but I did not base my choices on whether or not I like the artist. And there is no question that they made some great music. Again, just because theyíre not my favorite doesnít mean I canít appreciate that their music was innovative, creative, and influential. For the record, I feel the same way about David Bowie.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    1967- Hmmm, really? I mean Buffalo Springfield are pretty influential, but I feel the definitive acts of that time were The Rolling Stones, The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream. Could you enlighten me about why you think so? I mean, I've heard of them quite a few times, but I would like to know more about this band.
    In the U.S., FWIW is a rock anthem that has a lot of significance that it may not have throughout the rest of the world. My understanding is that you wanted us to select different artistsí most definitive songs. I have to disagree with your assessment that Jimi Hendrix and Cream were the most definitive acts of the mid-60ís. Again, I would give that distinction to The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Sorry, but, again, I donít judge an artistís influence and impact based on whether or not they were doing live performances.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    1978- The Bee Gees?????? I'm sorry, and I really don't mean to offend, but I was talking about rock songs, not disco. Anyone else?
    Absolutely not! The title of this thread is ĎDefinitive rock artists and songs of each year!í and there were no rock artists any more definitive in 1978 than the Bee Gees.

    Cosec Ė I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with some of this 'soft' music. Focusing on only one aspect of the creative process provides a narrower view of the artistry involved because you disregard everything thatís involved before a song ever even gets to a staged performance. Maybe if you broaden your horizonís, youíd gain a better appreciation for the entire artistic process of creating, recording, and performing music. Then, even if you donít love something, you can still recognize it as good art.

    "People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

  8. #8
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,948

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    (Very often the studio version is THE version for me.)

  9. #9
    Border Desperado cosec3791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I actually have an appreciation for all types of rock and roll music. I think there is some really good music no matter what the genre or sub-genre. There is also some really bad music in all of them too. I also have a respect for artistsí talents whether I am listening to a studio version or a live version of a song. Personally, I donít necessarily believe that an artistís talent is showcased more in live performances. I have an immense appreciation for the song-writing process and the creativity involved in turning a few words or notes into a great piece of art. For example, in the case of the Eagles, I believe one of their biggest strengths as a band was their talent for collaborating in the songwriting process and arranging and perfecting their art in the studio.



    Iím not a huge Beach Boys fan either, but I did not base my choices on whether or not I like the artist. And there is no question that they made some great music. Again, just because theyíre not my favorite doesnít mean I canít appreciate that their music was innovative, creative, and influential. For the record, I feel the same way about David Bowie.



    In the U.S., FWIW is a rock anthem that has a lot of significance that it may not have throughout the rest of the world. My understanding is that you wanted us to select different artistsí most definitive songs. I have to disagree with your assessment that Jimi Hendrix and Cream were the most definitive acts of the mid-60ís. Again, I would give that distinction to The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Sorry, but, again, I donít judge an artistís influence and impact based on whether or not they were doing live performances.



    Absolutely not! The title of this thread is ĎDefinitive rock artists and songs of each year!í and there were no rock artists any more definitive in 1978 than the Bee Gees.

    Cosec Ė I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with some of this 'soft' music. Focusing on only one aspect of the creative process provides a narrower view of the artistry involved because you disregard everything thatís involved before a song ever even gets to a staged performance. Maybe if you broaden your horizonís, youíd gain a better appreciation for the entire artistic process of creating, recording, and performing music. Then, even if you donít love something, you can still recognize it as good art.

    1. I understand... somewhat. I obviously have a lot to learn, see and listen. I only recently started to diversify, so, it will take time. But I'll still stand with live performances. Yes, it is an art to create and write, but I still feel live stuff is tougher, because there's less room for minimizing interruptions, mistakes, etc. I feel it's a testament to a band's prowess, as if they surmount all the barriers and the lack of comfort in a live setting. I feel that's why the Eagles don't necessarily get a look in their hard rock stuff as much as others, due to the lack of sheer energy in live performances compared to other bands. Yes, it is safe to say that the Eagles are a studio band. That's also why they were bootlegged less than so many other classic rock bands. And as Austin said multiple times, hard rock tends to be the showstopper in a live setting.

    2. Hmmmm interesting. However I still stand with what I said before. I think maybe their 1975 Wembley performance must be something better.

    3. Yup, that's probably it. I'm not American, so that's why I may not have heard as much about them or their influence. Again, the live VS studio debate comes in. Some feel live is important and others don't. And probably you know better anyways. I wasn't even in that time, and I guess I based my judgement on who was big in this year outside the US also, where bands like Cream, TJH, etc. were huger. And I also selected TJH because in this year, he not only just released great songs, but he also innovated in his instrument.

    4. Again. Really??? When I listened to it, it sounded nothing like rock. And even Wikipedia told that Stayin' Alive was disco. Yes, they did some soft rock stuff too, but this song, specifically is NOT rock.

    5. Lastly, I see your point, but again, I feel like live performances are the thing for me. I got into the Eagles even because of live performances. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
    The chemistry... nuff said

  10. #10
    Border Desperado cosec3791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

    Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    (Very often the studio version is THE version for me.)
    In a sense, yes it is. With exceptions (like Black Sabbath's debut album, or the Eagles' 1st album), it shows the band in their best light in the best quality possible, with minimal interactions. The artists (s) get almost complete control over the recordings. If looking at it more objectively, it probably is. But as I said, live performances are a whole other animal. The energy and the raw vibe is undeniable.

    I always found soft rock to fare much better in studio than live, and the vice versa for hard rock. As a result, many hard rock outfits are usually labelled as arena rock.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •