Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

Default Re: Definitive rock artists and songs of each year!

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Hey everyone!

First post here in this section of the board! So, after all the schoolwork, everything's all done... for now..

Anyways, being a classic rock fan, but from Generation Z, I wouldn't really know most of the other legendary acts of the multiple years prior to the Eagles. So instead of sticking with the Eagles, I decided to search and search and search for various artists. Artists I heard of or saw in anything related to the Eagles, usual names brought out during discussions. I recently got into Spotify and searched up live albums. I got out of my comfort zone finally, and I can say that I have a much more varied, proper interest in classic rock than ever before.

Recently, I started wondering which were the most definitive rock acts of each year from 1965 onwards, obviously in an effort to listen and know more. However, I had doubts about the most definitive artists of certain years, but I got my opinions on some of them. So what I want you all knowledgeable people to do, is to suggest me some acts of a certain year. So yeah, these are those definitive artists acc. to year from 1965 onwards. You guys could suggest an artist and even a song which is a highlight of their career that year, or even suggest rock songs pre 1965. Preferably not the following though: folk pop or rock 'n roll. Please remember you could tell any artist of any genre!

The format here is: Year- Artist/Band- Song- Live Performance of that song from that year (if you could)

1965- The Who- My Generation- BBC Sessions
    1966-
    1967- The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Purple Haze- Live at Monterey
    1968- Cream- Sunshine of your Love- Live at Back Bay Theater, MA, USA
    1969- Gypsy Sun and Rainbows- Voodoo Child (Slight Return)- Live at Woodstock
    1970- Black Sabbath- War Pigs- Live at Paris 1970
    1971- Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven- Flying Rock Carnival Complete (live at the Budokan, Tokyo, Japan- 09/23/71)
    1972- Deep Purple- Smoke on the Water- Live in Japan
    1973-
    1974-
    1975-
    1976- Eagles- Hotel California- Hotel California 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition

From there on I really don't know, so it would be wonderful if you guys could contribute and suggest more. I would love to hear all of your opinions on this list and even say if there was another more definitive artist! Be free to tell who are your favorites!
    Since you seem to be looking for primarily arena rock acts, these are some of my suggestions (assuming that Elton John and Paul McCartney may be considered too “soft.”)

1966 - The Byrds, “Eight Miles High” (sorry not sure about a live performance, they do have a Live at the Fillmore cd)

1973 - ZZ Top, “La Grange” Live in Montreux (from 2013 so may not fit your criteria)
    1974 - Steely Dan, “Ricky Don’t Lose That Number” (Live?? Not sure)
    1975 - Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody” Night at the Odean Hammersmith 1975

1977 - Fleetwood Mac, “Go Your Own Way” Live 1980
    1978 - Cheap Trick, “Surrender” Live at the Budokan 1979

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Cosec, some of your choices are interesting. ZZ Top - I don't see it. I always felt they were more kind of like the GD - only less well known and without the following.

Dreamer, I have to say I agree with every one of your choices. I happen to like the BB, and so many groups/singers have stated how "Pet Sounds" influenced them. And, I agree about the Bee Gees. I don't remember anyone being bigger than they were that year.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Yes! Good work, Delilah! Why did I not think of Steely Dan for 1974...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Since you seem to be looking for primarily arena rock acts, these are some of my suggestions (assuming that Elton John and Paul McCartney may be considered too “soft.”)

1966 - The Byrds, “Eight Miles High” (sorry not sure about a live performance, they do have a Live at the Fillmore cd)

1973 - ZZ Top, “La Grange” Live in Montreux (from 2013 so may not fit your criteria)
    1974 - Steely Dan, “Ricky Don’t Lose That Number” (Live?? Not sure)
    1975 - Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody” Night at the Odean Hammersmith 1975

1977 - Fleetwood Mac, “Go Your Own Way” Live 1980
    1978 - Cheap Trick, “Surrender” Live at the Budokan 1979
    Will check out all of them.

So what about the Byrds? What did they do? Keep in mind, I'm really out of the loop of popular American acts compared to British ones for the '60s. And yep, I heard of ZZ Top so much. Gonna listen to them for sure, thought I'll try to find a 1973 performances, instead of a later one. I also heard about Steely Dan, mentioned indirectly in Hotel California. Does he go harder than the Eagles?

Queen here is a definite inclusion. Another poster told this, and I toyed with the idea of including them. As is for Fleetwood Mac, although I'm not 100% sure where. I also heard of Cheap Trick.

Any other acts?

And I'd love to hear what makes an artist so defining to you!

MORE PLEASE!
    The chemistry... nuff said

Thank you, NMB.

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Will check out all of them.

So what about the Byrds? What did they do? Keep in mind, I'm really out of the loop of popular American acts compared to British ones for the '60s. And yep, I heard of ZZ Top so much. Gonna listen to them for sure, thought I'll try to find a 1973 performances, instead of a later one. I also heard about Steely Dan, mentioned indirectly in Hotel California. Does he go harder than the Eagles?

Queen here is a definite inclusion. Another poster told this, and I toyed with the idea of including them. As is for Fleetwood Mac, although I'm not 100% sure where. I also heard of Cheap Trick.

Any other acts?

And I'd love to hear what makes an artist so defining to you!

MORE PLEASE!
    The Byrds were before my time but they were a big influence on one of my favorite artists, Tom Petty. I chose “Eight Miles High” because it was one of the first, if not the first, rock psychedelic songs, and it was quite innovative. I can only imagine how it blew people’s minds back then.

ZZ Top has that hard rock bluesy sound that has such an early 70s vibe.

Steely Dan is not a “he”; they were band that were edgier than the Eagles with some jazz touches. Although, some of their later music could be classified as yacht rock, I suppose. I don’t think they toured much.

As for Fleetwood Mac, if you don’t agree as far as 1977 goes, then how about “Cold As Ice” by Foreigner? That sound was quite definitive of the late 70s - hard-sounding, guitar-driven but with enough pop overtones to appeal to the masses.

About The Bee Gees: they were huge at the time but they were more disco/pop, not rock.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...