Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
Hey everyone!

First post here in this section of the board! So, after all the schoolwork, everything's all done... for now..

Anyways, being a classic rock fan, but from Generation Z, I wouldn't really know most of the other legendary acts of the multiple years prior to the Eagles. So instead of sticking with the Eagles, I decided to search and search and search for various artists. Artists I heard of or saw in anything related to the Eagles, usual names brought out during discussions. I recently got into Spotify and searched up live albums. I got out of my comfort zone finally, and I can say that I have a much more varied, proper interest in classic rock than ever before.

Recently, I started wondering which were the most definitive rock acts of each year from 1965 onwards, obviously in an effort to listen and know more. However, I had doubts about the most definitive artists of certain years, but I got my opinions on some of them. So what I want you all knowledgeable people to do, is to suggest me some acts of a certain year. So yeah, these are those definitive artists acc. to year from 1965 onwards. You guys could suggest an artist and even a song which is a highlight of their career that year, or even suggest rock songs pre 1965. Preferably not the following though: folk pop or rock 'n roll. Please remember you could tell any artist of any genre!

The format here is: Year- Artist/Band- Song- Live Performance of that song from that year (if you could)

1965- The Who- My Generation- BBC Sessions
1966-
1967- The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Purple Haze- Live at Monterey
1968- Cream- Sunshine of your Love- Live at Back Bay Theater, MA, USA
1969- Gypsy Sun and Rainbows- Voodoo Child (Slight Return)- Live at Woodstock
1970- Black Sabbath- War Pigs- Live at Paris 1970
1971- Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven- Flying Rock Carnival Complete (live at the Budokan, Tokyo, Japan- 09/23/71)
1972- Deep Purple- Smoke on the Water- Live in Japan
1973-
1974-
1975-
1976- Eagles- Hotel California- Hotel California 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition

From there on I really don't know, so it would be wonderful if you guys could contribute and suggest more. I would love to hear all of your opinions on this list and even say if there was another more definitive artist! Be free to tell who are your favorites!
Since you seem to be looking for primarily arena rock acts, these are some of my suggestions (assuming that Elton John and Paul McCartney may be considered too “soft.”)

1966 - The Byrds, “Eight Miles High” (sorry not sure about a live performance, they do have a Live at the Fillmore cd)

1973 - ZZ Top, “La Grange” Live in Montreux (from 2013 so may not fit your criteria)
1974 - Steely Dan, “Ricky Don’t Lose That Number” (Live?? Not sure)
1975 - Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody” Night at the Odean Hammersmith 1975

1977 - Fleetwood Mac, “Go Your Own Way” Live 1980
1978 - Cheap Trick, “Surrender” Live at the Budokan 1979