Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles to perform Hotel California in its entirety

Default Re: Eagles to perform Hotel California in its entirety

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Is this the same Don Henley who made a living off preaching about the evils of money, arrogance and greed; and espousing the glories of Thoreau's steadfast observation of simplicity and humility? If the blatant hypocrisy didn't amuse me so much I'd probably cry.

Charging $7,000 for essentially a greatest hits tour, plus two songs they haven't played in deacdes and another two that fall in and out of the setlist (The Last Resort and TALA, Wasted Time and VOL respectively), featuring 40% of those who featured on it not even playing the same contributions the made (e.g. Henley on drums for any of it, or Joe's keyboards throughout), and only one half of the most famous dual guitar soloists ever. You see the same thing in sports, the offerings completely going over the heads of those who would die for the participants, all because you can make more money out of gormless morons who couldn't care less if they were at a boxing match or an orchestra.
    I couldn't agree more TLR. Henley can be very preachy (too much for my tastes at times especially on LROOE) and at times, hypocritical. I think when David Geffen called him a malcontent I'd say he was spot on. I love his voice and I think he's a brilliant songwriter. I just don't always agree with his viewpoints and I don't think I'd want to associate with him or meet him. Which is sad, because I love his Eagles and solo music.

It truly boggles my mind some people aren't seeing what we are seeing. Maybe they don't want to think of it that way on purpose. But it's so shameless that it's like they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Is this the same Don Henley who made a living off preaching about the evils of money, arrogance and greed; and espousing the glories of Thoreau's steadfast observation of simplicity and humility? If the blatant hypocrisy didn't amuse me so much I'd probably cry.
    From Thoreau's "Life without Principle" (1863):

"I think that there is nothing, not even crime, more opposed to poetry, to philosophy, ay, to life itself, than this incessant business."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Hi everyone, it's been a while. I hope you're all well! I've been busy with kids and work, but think about the Eagles and you all. I just saw this thread - I don't understand the absolutely insane ticket prices. I do see a pretty nice seat in section 10, row T, seat 1 for $550. It's not down front, but its a good enough seat. I looked at Lady Gaga's residency shows in October at the MGM, in a different venue, the WORST seat in the house starts at $818, and she has a lot of shows. This is not a defense of Eagles pricing, again, I don't know how they arrive at the numbers. Gaga's prices are extreme, $11K for a front row seat.

Edited to add: someone in this thread said something about maybe them testing out a residency - that's a good point. I mean, at this price point, these "events" are not for fans of the band, they're for whatever big spenders and VIPs happen to be in Vegas that weekend - its a showing off thing for people. It's almost like a private show that real fans don't have access to. At their ages, I think a Hotel California residency would be very appealing. Because they can claim this first show as "historic" maybe prices would go down if they did do additional shows - they won't be historic anymore.
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 04-10-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Hi MaryC - How are you ? So good to hear from you. I have to say I pretty much agree with what you said. I can see them doing a residency. It would mean they would not have to do the touring all over the country, and have a base where they do maybe one show per month - like Billy Joel at the Garden. I had read somewhere that Glenn was talking about doing something like this at the Form in LA before he passed.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 04-12-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Remember when there was little or no difference in seat prices? Dedicated fans of modest means could get front row seats if they were willing to camp overnight in front of the box office.

These prices are well above what you would expect for some charity fund raiser---at least then you could feel good about supporting a worthy cause.

I wonder if they are so far removed from the average Joe that they don't realize that these ticket prices are insultingly unattainable for the majority of their long time fans, many whom are retired at this point. And all the fancy hoo-haws added on just make them more expensive.

To put the prices in perspective, the average household income for Linden, where Henley is from, is less than $26,000 a year. As GA implied, rich folks who hardly know them will be the ones out front. And paying that much money doesn't insure that there won't be sound issues, hoarse singers, or obnoxious drunks seated all around you, either!
    FF - Agree ! Like I said before - pure greed.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    Floor seats in the 11th row are over $907 each after fees. The Lane One packages range from $2,100 each (ticket only in 3rd or 4th row side floor sections) to $7,500 each for front row-center, but includes hotel, some food & drink and transportation extras.

The worst nose bleed seats are $164 plus fees!
    Maybe I’m not doing something right in looking it up, but it looks like the Platinum Experience ($6500) is the only Lane One package left for the Friday concert. Only the top 2, Diamond ($7500) and Platinum packages, are available for Saturday. The Gold, Silver and Premium Experiences have sold out I guess.

To compare, The Rolling Stones have a meet and greet package that costs $25,000 per person. Elton John is charging $9075 per person for a backstage tour and photo at his piano (without him) plus some extra goodies, but no meet and greet. Neither of these include accommodations in a luxury suite at a 4-5 star hotel. There are other bands who are charging ridiculous prices for VIP experiences as well. Just sayin, the Eagles are hardly alone in this.

Based on the info from the previous post, it appears much of the Linden population have been priced out of Eagles concerts for decades.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

[QUOTE=Delilah;38475Based on the info from the previous post, it appears much of the Linden population have been priced out of Eagles concerts for decades.[/QUOTE]

Well, tickets to their last show in Bossier City, a very reasonable distance from Linden, started at $45! (As reported from The Shreveport Times.). Not exactly Vegas, but fairly affordable.

Granted, ticket prices for big name acts of late have gone crazy.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

No, the "Eagles" are not alone.

I think there may have been some who believed they held themselves to a higher standard.

Those people are being disabused of that notion.

It's a painful process.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Although I know this topic is not what was being referred to, the "Because we can" comment frequently comes to mind.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

I agree with Soda and FreyFollower completely.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."