Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Desperado

Border Rebel

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Desperado

Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) for the win. One of the most cinematic and beautiful pieces of music ever....

This is really tough as I really don't like either of the remaining songs.

I'm going to give it a bit more thought.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I find Desperado rather boring in all honesty, having it as the set closer sucked the life out of the entire joint and reiterated that in their latter years the Eagles were nowt but Henley and friends. I find it by far the least enjoyable of the four remaining songs and significantly inferior to the Reprise, at least actually that builds to something and has input by other members of the band.
    I personally disagree on the placement of Desperado as the closer.

I feel like Desperado ends the show on a nice note. Like a true closer, bring it down and ending with something mild means you feel like you aren't wanting for more. If they closed with TIE, on a upbeat song, you'd walk away wanting more. Which maybe as a business is a good idea as everyone says to always leave them wanting more, but I personally HATE that feeling, and yes it does make me go back so it does work, lol but that puts the power in the hands of the seller, and not the buyer. And I think the power should always be with the buyer, the customer is always right, yada yada. Maybe I'm biased because I'm usually the buyer and never the seller, lol. But it does remind me of that. Ending with an uptempo song and then "goodbye", you feel like you haven't got everything there was to get. It's like unfinished business.

I love uptempo rock and roll music but closing with a song like Desperado or maybe even Wasted Time makes you feel like it's come to a gentle close and they've left everything on the stage.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I vote for the Reprise for the win.

I’m sad to see Desperado gone.

I’m voting for Doolin-Dalton/Desperado reprise for the win.

I fell in love with the song when the guys put it in their set list for the HOTE tour. A great song.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-04-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

As much as I love TS - I think it is a beautiful song. Also, it is one of the first two songs Don and Glenn wrote together. I think the Reprise is better. I vote for Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise ​to win.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I love and have always loved Tequila Sunrise with all my heart and soul. Its a beautiful ballad, and watching it sung live in front of me so many times has only reinforced what a beautiful melodic ballad it is. But its a ballad and really while a lovely effort from the new songwriting duo of Henley and Frey back in '73 it followed a format that can be repeated. However I feel the Reprise is a wonderful piece of music that ties together both the theme of the album with its title - listening to it you can almost place yourself at that frontier where all the cation was happening. It is a very brave composition, and considering the guys were so young and early in their song writing career a very gutsy inclusion on an album So for those rather rambling reasons I vote for the Doolin-Dalton Reprise to win
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

I still think of Desperado as the definitive Eagles song and I'm surprised it didn't win. Perhaps the reprise split the vote as it's a way of getting two songs in one.

I vote for Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise to win.

I vote for doolin dalton/ desperado reprise to win. I find it funny that very little people are aware of this song in general but most of the diehard fans love it.

I also totally agree with Austin about desperado as a closing song for the band. To me it’s always been a great song to have end it and leaves you satisfied. I like the last song of the normal set list being upbeat but then having the actual final song being desperado.

I'm torn here but I think I'll be the odd man out and actually vote Tequila Sunrise for the win.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger