Thread: Those Were the Days: Early Eagles Concert Remembrances

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Those Were the Days: Early Eagles Concert Remembrances

On July 7, 1974 the Eagles played a show (On The Border Tour) at the Memorial Coliseum in Ft. Wayne Indiana. And not just the Eagles.

The lineup:
    The Souther-Hillman-Furay Band (J.D. Souther, Chris Hillman, Richie Furay in a great but short-lived country-rock 'supergroup')
    Joe Walsh and Barnstorm
    The Eagles

Average ticket price: $4.00

I don't know if this lineup played together at any other shows that year (none documented in known concert archives). Joe did play several other dates with the Eagles in '74, but none that indicate SHF Band also played.

Can you imagine seeing this lineup in concert and paying only $4?
    But all throughout the '70's, ticket prices for rock concerts were rarely over $10.
    Bands (and record companies and promoters) generally didn't make any money with concert tours (usually barely broke even or lost money), they were viewed as promotional expenses and tools for promoting album sales, which was where they made their money.
    Totally the opposite of how things are today.

Just wanted to share this in these days of $1000 concert tickets and practically negligible physical album sales.

Feel free to share any other reminisces from these by-gone days of Eagles concerts and pre-exorbitant ticket prices.
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Those Were the Days: Early Eagles Concert Remembrances

Well - poor, poor, pitiful me - I never got to see the Eagles live in the 70's. My mom didn't allow me to go to concerts in the early 70's, and by the time I was on my own at the end of the decade, I couldn't afford those expensive tickets. To the best of my recollection, I only went to one concert during the entire decade. My mom allowed a date to take me to see Herman's Hermits.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well - poor, poor, pitiful me - I never got to see the Eagles live in the 70's. My mom didn't allow me to go to concerts in the early 70's, and by the time I was on my own at the end of the decade, I couldn't afford those expensive tickets. To the best of my recollection, I only went to one concert during the entire decade. My mom allowed a date to take me to see Herman's Hermits.

Lol Dreamer !
    Concerts were so cheap then. I was working and going to school so I never saw as many as I would have liked to. My parents would not let me go alone so I always went with a group of friends. the 70's were a great time for music fans. Our Border friend Dawn so an amazing list of concerts back than. The list of groups/people she saw is amazing.

Wow. That sounds amazing. That was a bit before I was born but dang.... $4.00 wouldn't even buy you parking at a concert now!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Wow. That sounds amazing. That was a bit before I was born but dang.... $4.00 wouldn't even buy you parking at a concert now!
    Not even a drink at some places!

Remember, though: Most of those venues were open seating. That meant the best seats went to those who were either there first or willing to fight for it.