Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
I guess I fall somewhere in the middle between Walshfan and tlr. Like tlr, I gravitate towards the songs with the beautiful harmonies. The Eagles have always been about the voices, for me. I was never a big rock chick back in the 70's. I went to an Aerosmith concert and had a couple of their albums and I also went to see Seger a couple of times back then.

Having said that, I do agree with Walshfan that Hotel California isn't over rated, just overplayed. I probably don't listen to it as much as I used to but I do remember how much I loved that song back then. The album came out my senior year and the single was number one right before I graduated. I still remember getting goosebumps hearing it at the beginning of concerts when it became their signature song, just as "Take it Easy" had been a few years earlier.

I don't tend to hang out with the "country/western" crowd either, Walshfan, but I do love "TIE" and "PEF". I also loved the Bernie songs. I liked the country rock sound, because it was new back then. It wasn't like classic country, but a sound of our own. I'm guessing that it's the steel guitar sound that you don't care for? I know you said you like the more metro or city influenced sound, but you've gone to see Skynyrd and The Outlaws if I'm not mistaken... great 70's bands that I loved, but very honkytonk rather than metro!

A last point, Walshfan. I'd like to make you an honorary 70's person because you love my music and times so much! We had some great times but we weren't THAT excessive...

I reluctantly vote for Wasted Time...
Great points, My My.

Let me start with the southern rock/country thing - I do love Skynyrd and yes they are far from metro. I think my hesitance towards country music of yesteryear is that it's too smooth for me, and too mild. I like raw electric guitars and while Skynyrd was very honky tonk and roots inspired, they had more edge. I don't care for Merle Haggard or George Strait so much. It's too mild. I think that yes it's the steel guitar, but also the fact they leaned towards acoustic instruments. I also really don't like mandolins, banjos, and fiddles all that much. I'm really a loud Gibson guitar through a Marshall amp guy. I don't mind the country inspired thing or the southern rock thing, but put some distortion on the guitar and crank that sucker to 11. Even when Skynyrd did country-ish songs - it wasn't boring and slow or sounded old. LOL. I never got to see the Outlaws, but I love them. Of the Southern Rock genre I've seen Lynyrd Skynyrd (x3), .38 Special (x2), Marshall Tucker Band, and The Black Crowes. I love southern rock. I like country, when it's hot!

I'm an AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, The Who, The Beatles, etc kind of guy. I get bored very quickly with the twangy vocals, clean sounding guitar, and slow music. I like it when they turn it up more and add some energy. I loved when Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, etc first came around and sang country songs but with the sound of a 70s rock throwback. Now it's actually gone soft again, but instead of soft classic country it's RNB/EDM/Pop. I just don't like the somber, slow, deep lyric with mellow instruments. I'm a guy who thinks if it's too loud you are too old. I'm just a rock n' roll fan. I'm also mostly a fan of radio hits, and not deep obscure cuts. I've said it many times on the board, but the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, even at their most rocking points, are about as mellow as I get. I don't get burnt out on overplayed songs like some. I'm a rarity I'm sure but I just don't. If I liked I song once, I'll love it over and over again and again day after day and never say "ugh that song again?!". It's pretty amazing.

And as far as liking PEF or TIE or TS, that's totally cool. I think perhaps TLR thought I was inferring you couldn't have a preference or be the opposite of me, when in fact all I was saying is how I feel the rockers are better songs, and obviously not everyone will agree and that's fine. I'm personally not a Bernie Leadon fan. IMO Bernie and Glyn Johns really wanted to hold them back. I personally believe they are better as rockers and with the HC and TLR material. Obviously there will be early Eagles fans who disagree and that's fine. Some think rock n' roll and distorted loud guitars is for kids - even all these years later. Some flat out don't like rock and roll. They prefer someone singing warmly and strumming an acoustic guitar. Me personally - nothing turns me off quicker. I want to hear big chords and screaming solos and I want rawness. Some might argue HC isn't a rocker in it's purest form - like LITFL or James Dean. But it's still way more appealing to me than "Whiskey River" or "The Bottle Let Me Down" or "Sunday Morning Coming Down".

I grew up on popular songs of classic rock. My parents were always listening to AC/DC (dad's favorite band) or GNR (mom's favorite band). I have to say it definitely rubbed off! It's all I listen to (old rock). As far as being a 70s guy - absolutely! I really don't share much in common with people my age really. I tend to have a more youthful outlook on things and society, but my tastes in entertainment, arts, and conversation is much older than I am. All of my friends are usually older than me. I don't share anything in common with the people who listen to Kendrick Lamar or Radiohead. I tend to associate myself only with those like me.