Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Hotel California

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Hotel California

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    I guess I fall somewhere in the middle between Walshfan and tlr. Like tlr, I gravitate towards the songs with the beautiful harmonies. The Eagles have always been about the voices, for me. I was never a big rock chick back in the 70's. I went to an Aerosmith concert and had a couple of their albums and I also went to see Seger a couple of times back then.

Having said that, I do agree with Walshfan that Hotel California isn't over rated, just overplayed. I probably don't listen to it as much as I used to but I do remember how much I loved that song back then. The album came out my senior year and the single was number one right before I graduated. I still remember getting goosebumps hearing it at the beginning of concerts when it became their signature song, just as "Take it Easy" had been a few years earlier.

I don't tend to hang out with the "country/western" crowd either, Walshfan, but I do love "TIE" and "PEF". I also loved the Bernie songs. I liked the country rock sound, because it was new back then. It wasn't like classic country, but a sound of our own. I'm guessing that it's the steel guitar sound that you don't care for? I know you said you like the more metro or city influenced sound, but you've gone to see Skynyrd and The Outlaws if I'm not mistaken... great 70's bands that I loved, but very honkytonk rather than metro!

A last point, Walshfan. I'd like to make you an honorary 70's person because you love my music and times so much! We had some great times but we weren't THAT excessive...

I reluctantly vote for Wasted Time...
    Great points, My My.

Let me start with the southern rock/country thing - I do love Skynyrd and yes they are far from metro. I think my hesitance towards country music of yesteryear is that it's too smooth for me, and too mild. I like raw electric guitars and while Skynyrd was very honky tonk and roots inspired, they had more edge. I don't care for Merle Haggard or George Strait so much. It's too mild. I think that yes it's the steel guitar, but also the fact they leaned towards acoustic instruments. I also really don't like mandolins, banjos, and fiddles all that much. I'm really a loud Gibson guitar through a Marshall amp guy. I don't mind the country inspired thing or the southern rock thing, but put some distortion on the guitar and crank that sucker to 11. Even when Skynyrd did country-ish songs - it wasn't boring and slow or sounded old. LOL. I never got to see the Outlaws, but I love them. Of the Southern Rock genre I've seen Lynyrd Skynyrd (x3), .38 Special (x2), Marshall Tucker Band, and The Black Crowes. I love southern rock. I like country, when it's hot!

I'm an AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, The Who, The Beatles, etc kind of guy. I get bored very quickly with the twangy vocals, clean sounding guitar, and slow music. I like it when they turn it up more and add some energy. I loved when Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, etc first came around and sang country songs but with the sound of a 70s rock throwback. Now it's actually gone soft again, but instead of soft classic country it's RNB/EDM/Pop. I just don't like the somber, slow, deep lyric with mellow instruments. I'm a guy who thinks if it's too loud you are too old. I'm just a rock n' roll fan. I'm also mostly a fan of radio hits, and not deep obscure cuts. I've said it many times on the board, but the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, even at their most rocking points, are about as mellow as I get. I don't get burnt out on overplayed songs like some. I'm a rarity I'm sure but I just don't. If I liked I song once, I'll love it over and over again and again day after day and never say "ugh that song again?!". It's pretty amazing.

And as far as liking PEF or TIE or TS, that's totally cool. I think perhaps TLR thought I was inferring you couldn't have a preference or be the opposite of me, when in fact all I was saying is how I feel the rockers are better songs, and obviously not everyone will agree and that's fine. I'm personally not a Bernie Leadon fan. IMO Bernie and Glyn Johns really wanted to hold them back. I personally believe they are better as rockers and with the HC and TLR material. Obviously there will be early Eagles fans who disagree and that's fine. Some think rock n' roll and distorted loud guitars is for kids - even all these years later. Some flat out don't like rock and roll. They prefer someone singing warmly and strumming an acoustic guitar. Me personally - nothing turns me off quicker. I want to hear big chords and screaming solos and I want rawness. Some might argue HC isn't a rocker in it's purest form - like LITFL or James Dean. But it's still way more appealing to me than "Whiskey River" or "The Bottle Let Me Down" or "Sunday Morning Coming Down".

I grew up on popular songs of classic rock. My parents were always listening to AC/DC (dad's favorite band) or GNR (mom's favorite band). I have to say it definitely rubbed off! It's all I listen to (old rock). As far as being a 70s guy - absolutely! I really don't share much in common with people my age really. I tend to have a more youthful outlook on things and society, but my tastes in entertainment, arts, and conversation is much older than I am. All of my friends are usually older than me. I don't share anything in common with the people who listen to Kendrick Lamar or Radiohead. I tend to associate myself only with those like me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Rebel

Walshfan, I figured you liked the electric guitars of the southern rockers. I can see how that would be appealing to you as a guitar guy. I really enjoy southern rock too, always did. I saw Marshall Tucker in the 70's and The Allman Brothers too. I guess I saw a thread where you mentioned The Outlaws and I thought you had seen them. Now that I think about it, it was a thread about a playlist or something. I really liked them and blasted them in my dorm, trying to drown out the other girls playing "You Light Up My Life." As far as AC/DC and GNR, I can't go there!

What is wonderful about the Eagles is that they appeal to a girl from the 70's who loved Fogelberg, Firefall, America and other such bands AND to a 30 year old guy who loves rock and roll!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well - I am definitely going to weigh in on this debate. First of all, I am a fan of all iterations of the band that included Henley and Frey. I happen to think transitioning from country rock to a more rock and roll band was a very smart move. I don't think they would have been nearly as successful had they not done so.

Now, I am going to pretty much repeat the argument I made in an earlier Survivor game about the top three megahits on this album. Here is why I believe these should be the last three songs to battle it out in this game. Each of them stands alone as a great song in their own right, but, collectively, they are the three songs that perfectly sum up the theme and message of one of the best rock and roll albums ever.

Life In The Fast Lane - This hard rock anthem about a couple going nowhere fast has some of the best lyrics the band ever wrote. To me, this is the song that Joe really shines on (along with Hotel California). His guitar work is off the scale on this song. Don’s vocals are perfect and the melody and guitar riffs are extremely catchy and memorable. So memorable, in fact, that the title phrase is now a part of our every day vernacular. They even manage to get those famous harmonies in. The song is significant in the band’s history because it showed the world that they were diverse enough to do everything from blue grass to hard rock (and anything in between).

New Kid In Town – I believe this is one of the best songs the band ever recorded. It has everything – exceptional lyrics, vocals, harmonies, music, and arrangement. I can’t find any flaws with it. The song fits perfectly into the theme of the album and I love how cleverly it intertwines personal relationships and careers. I think the progression of the lyrics in the three chorus’ is nothing short of brilliant. …

Johnny-come-lately
    The new kid in town
    Everybody loves you
    So don’t let them down.

Johnny-come-lately
    The new kid in town
    Will she still love you
    When you’re not around?

Where you been lately?
    There’s a new kid in town
    Everybody loves him, don’t they?
    And he’s holding her
    And you’re still around.

All you have to do is read them and they pretty much sum up the entire song (and album) for you.

Hotel California – I believe this is simply one of the top ten best rock and roll songs ever. Yes, it’s been overplayed, but that’s because of its iconic status. This song is not only brilliant in every way a great song can be, but it was IMPORTANT. Only a few other songs have made a cultural impact the way this song did. In a nutshell, this song changed our society. A single song made a difference – that is significant enough to deservedly earn it a place among the rock and roll elite. So, whether you like the song or not, it's hard to deny its impact. IMHO, it deserves to win this game.
    Agree with all points Dreamer.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I vote for Hotel California.

It's probably a personal thing about where I was in 1976/77. I became an Eagles fan in 1972 and this continued up to and including One of these Nights. Here in the UK, they hadn't caught on and so it made me feel slightly special to have my band that most of my contemporaries didn't know. Then came the long wait (a greatest hits release didn't mean much to someone who already had all their albums). Bernie left, Joe joined. They finally had some success in the UK and even my mother bought the Hotel California album. I didn't like the song Hotel California with it's fake reggae sound. We'd already had lots of that (at least Dreadlock Holiday was tongue-in-cheek). Besides, young people in the UK were staring to listen to different music and Eagles were old-fashioned.

Maybe the band would have been less successful without that song but would that have been such a bad thing? According to various interviews, the band themselves though that the extreme success was part of their downfall. If the album had sold just a bit more than One of These Nights, they would still have been hugely successful but maybe they would have felt less intimidated and less burnt-out. I can dream of an alternate universe with no HC but other, better songs.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I haven’t been playing this game b/c I couldn’t bear to vote off any of the songs. I know that sounds silly. At this point I’m still not sure what I would vote off.

Hotel California - Pros: so iconic, a real game-changer that is famous all the world over. Incredible lyrics, amazing guitar solos. A mysterious, haunting vibe. People who aren’t familiar with the band at least know this song. Cons: overplayed and overexposed and maybe just maybe a little overrated. Predictable win and predictable is boring.

Life in the Fast Lane - Pros: a true 70s rocker, dangerous and thrilling, doesn’t get enough love, imo. Also a great guitar song. Henley sings a range of emotions and sounds anything from excited to detached to almost desperate to resigned. I love how his in this. Cons: hmmm 🤔 trying to think of some- not enough Randy?

New Kid in Town - Pros: wonderful vocal by Glenn, righteous harmonies and one of their best intros. A familiar but relatable story. Nice little guitar solo thrown in the middle by Felder. Stays true to their country rock roots. Cons: see LITFL.

Wasted Time - Pros: Another killer Henley vocal. A sad break-up story with a different angle from most. Thoughtful, stirring lyrics. Cons: A wee bit tedious. The line about her being back on the streets doesn’t sit well. Why must Henley show her in a bad light?
    Hi Delilah - I agree ! It is difficult to choose one particular song. There is not a bad song/filler on the album. However, in MPO, some are stronger than others. Just jump in !

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow, I love everyone's comments here about these last songs. I really can't add much except that I've always loved all iterations of this band that included Henley and Frey, as Dreamer said.

I don't think the Eagles would have been the band they turned in to without Hotel California and even Life in the Fast Lane. They are just too iconic. I also love New Kid in Town and Wasted Time. So different, yet so 'Eagles'! These guys could do anything they wanted and make it good!

I'm going to vote strategically for New Kid in Town.

Don't hate me, I love Glenn and Glenn's songs and you all know that.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Results for Round Five

In a real nailbiter, the next song to be eliminated in Hotel California Survivor is Wasted Time. “Wasted Time”, the tribe has spoken and it looks like the end for you. So, you can get on with your search, baby, and we can get on with ours. How will you start it over? Well, you can start by lifting your little head out of your hands. Then, get back out on the street and find your way off this island.

Votes
    Wasted Time – 5
    Hotel California – 4
    Life in the Fast Lane – 1
    New Kid in Town – 1

Vote Breakdown
    Wasted Time – WalshFan88
    Wasted Time – Glennsallnighter
    Wasted Time – shunlvswx
    Wasted Time – Ive always been a dreamer
    Wasted Time – My My
    Hotel California – scottside
    Hotel California – Desperada
    Hotel California – thelastresort
    Hotel California – UndertheWire
    Life in the Fast Lane – New Kid In Town
    New Kid in Town – Brooke

Songs Eliminated:
    The Last Resort 7/03
    Pretty Maids All in a Row 7/05
    Try and Love Again 7/07
    Victim of Love 7/09
    Wasted Time 7/11

Songs Remaining:
    Hotel California
    New Kid in Town
    Life in the Fast Lane

Voting for Round 5 begins now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm so sorry I missed this! I meant to vote today but work was totally insane.

So I will vote early this time, for Life in the Fast Lane

Border Rebel

I will join Groupie and vote for Life in the Fast Lane

I vote for Life in the fast lane