Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Felder in Europe - September 2019

Default Re: Don Felder in Europe - September 2019

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I feel like I want to defend Don (which may be a first). It's his name on the ticket and if he wants to sing, then it's his choice. Anyone who's doubtful about his singing can listen to the videos on youtube and make up his/her own mind. It's not as if anyone will go into the show with high expectations of his vocals, and he may be a safer option than someone who used to be a good singer but who can no longer reach the notes.

The London show is at a venue with a capacity of just 425, so my guess is this tour is about promoting the new album (and fitting in a a few rounds of golf?) rather than making money. It wouldn't even cover the air fares.
    Of course he’s free to sing in his own band (check out my post in the Felder press thread about my thoughts on his ego and need for control, etc), but we can also choose not to go see him. And while some might prefer the safer route, I’d much rather hear someone who can actually sing, even if it means in a lower register than the record. Felder’s voice is so processed that it just doesn’t sound good at all. Also videos can be deceiving. I didn’t think he used Auto-Tune until I heard him live. It was bad.

TEHO.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I feel like I want to defend Don (which may be a first). It's his name on the ticket and if he wants to sing, then it's his choice. Anyone who's doubtful about his singing can listen to the videos on youtube and make up his/her own mind. It's not as if anyone will go into the show with high expectations of his vocals, and he may be a safer option than someone who used to be a good singer but who can no longer reach the notes.

The London show is at a venue with a capacity of just 425, so my guess is this tour is about promoting the new album (and fitting in a a few rounds of golf?) rather than making money. It wouldn't even cover the air fares.
    I agree. I’m sure most who purchase tickets do so b/c of his guitar skills, not his vocal prowess. He’s been doing solo shows for awhile so his singing ability shouldn’t be any great surprise.

The pics online show the venue to be quite small but the seating capacity wasn’t clear. Thanks for the info. A gig is a gig, I suppose. It’ll be interesting to see if he does indeed play any songs from his new album.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I think that it's true that those who go to see Don, especially when not as part of a bill with two better acts (like the recent Styx/REO/Don Felder tour last year or with Foreigner), they will be going to see him for his guitar playing. If you are going to a show to see HIM, by himself, you are going for his guitar playing. Or if you see a triple bill but are most excited to see him out of the 3 - you are going for his guitar skills.

However, if you are seeing him as an opener of other acts you are more excited for but are a fan of the Eagles music and vocals, but maybe don't know much or care about Felder's playing, you might be disappointed with his renditions of the tunes, vocally. That's what I'm saying. If you are seeing DF at your local theatre or opera house by himself with no other acts, you are definitely going for his guitar talents. You will likely walk away happy. But if you see him as an opener for other bigger acts, you are likely going to be disappointed if you are an Eagles fan and a fan of the great vocals of Glenn Frey and Don Henley.

I saw Felder as part of the REO and Styx tour. I was going more for REO and Styx. I've seen REO 3 times now, and Styx 2 times. So while I knew about his guitar playing and was excited, I had the other two acts to fall back on. And I did enjoy REO and Styx a lot more. However, if someone wasn't as excited about hearing Felder play but rather to hear those Eagles hit songs you might be pretty disappointed with his show.

Personally - regardless, when you are covering Eagles tunes as a professional band (not a weekend warrior bar band) - either a tribute band, or as former members, or on your solo shows - I hold those performances to a high standard. I want to hear those vocals done right and done well. I also want to hear the guitars played exact. I don't want to hear someone "try" to attempt Henley or Frey lead vocals.

The only way I'd go see Don Felder again in his current form is as the first act on a triple bill or as an opener for another artist. I wouldn't pay to see a show where it's only him. To each their own.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."