Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

In this second-to-last video segment, Bernie goes into much more detail about his substance abuse issues. I appreciate his candor. It helps people who may be struggling with similar issues.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw2k...hcQOs-DZN9zp98

Thanks again, NMB! I agree that celebrities speaking out about substance difficulties is very valuable. Young people especially are more likely to listen. Who's cooler than a rock star?

Although I have heard stories of all of the guys being wasted, I don't remember hearing of real issues for Bernie. It's something when you hear him say that he has only been clean 13 years...even Joe nearly doubles that distinction. I've read where Glenn was against an earlier resumption partly because Don H was still "living the rock n roll lifestyle". Anyone know about the others?
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Thanks again, NMB! I agree that celebrities speaking out about substance difficulties is very valuable. Young people especially are more likely to listen. Who's cooler than a rock star?

Although I have heard stories of all of the guys being wasted, I don't remember hearing of real issues for Bernie. It's something when you hear him say that he has only been clean 13 years...even Joe nearly doubles that distinction. I've read where Glenn was against an earlier resumption partly because Don H was still "living the rock n roll lifestyle". Anyone know about the others?
    NMB - Thanks for posting this all all the other interviews. I will have to listen to it later when I have the time.
    FF - From what I had read about Bernie, it appeared he had given up drugs and alcohol back in the 70's. I also don't remember any other info discussing Bernie having substance abuse issues so this surprised me. It is especially surprising to learn that Joe has been sober longer than him - who would have thought this ? And you are right about Glenn - he stopped using Cocaine in 1984, according to interview I saw with him. He indicated he stooped the heavy drinking after the Eagles broke up. He stated he didn't need the heavy drinking b/c the band had broke up and there was no longer that band related stress. He was always very honest about this substance abuse so I would believe him on this. Don gave up his heavy drinking around 1992-93. And, you are also right about the reason Glenn did not want to get back together in 1990. Both Don and Joe were not clean. Glenn had just gotten married and they were expecting Taylor. Also, he had just had the major surgery for his divertic. and had left that lifestyle behind. From what I have read, Randy had a drinking and Cocaine problem up until the death of his wife. According to his book, Don F. stopped his heavy drinking and drug use after he left the Eagles in 1980. I got the impression Tim stopped around than too.

I have to admire Bernie for discussing his substance abuse problem. I think it is a great way to educate people, especially kids, to the dangers of that kind of lifestyle. Bernie seems like such a great, level headed guy and I am so glad he was able to beat his demons. I too will miss these interview even though I complained enough about how short they all are.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thanks, you guys. I did not know that Don H was still drinking until the early 90s, or that Glenn said that’s partly why they didn’t resume earlier. One would never guess it, as Don obviously had a very successful solo career and always seemed like a responsible, steady person.

NMB, you're a natural at finding this sort of very interesting content. Thanks for sharing your skills with the rest of us. 😊

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    NMB - Thanks for posting this all all the other interviews. I will have to listen to it later when I have the time.
    FF - From what I had read about Bernie, it appeared he had given up drugs and alcohol back in the 70's. I also don't remember any other info discussing Bernie having substance abuse issues so this surprised me. It is especially surprising to learn that Joe has been sober longer than him - who would have thought this ? And you are right about Glenn - he stopped using Cocaine in 1984, according to interview I saw with him. He indicated he stooped the heavy drinking after the Eagles broke up. He stated he didn't need the heavy drinking b/c the band had broke up and there was no longer that band related stress. He was always very honest about this substance abuse so I would believe him on this. Don gave up his heavy drinking around 1992-93. And, you are also right about the reason Glenn did not want to get back together in 1990. Both Don and Joe were not clean. Glenn had just gotten married and they were expecting Taylor. Also, he had just had the major surgery for his divertic. and had left that lifestyle behind. From what I have read, Randy had a drinking and Cocaine problem up until the death of his wife. According to his book, Don F. stopped his heavy drinking and drug use after he left the Eagles in 1980. I got the impression Tim stopped around than too.

I have to admire Bernie for discussing his substance abuse problem. I think it is a great way to educate people, especially kids, to the dangers of that kind of lifestyle. Bernie seems like such a great, level headed guy and I am so glad he was able to beat his demons. I too will miss these interview even though I complained enough about how short they all are.
    Thanks, NK! This is the timeline I always thought was true after a lot of reading in different places. Nice to see it corroborated.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks again, NMB, And NKIT - I pretty much agree with what you wrote except I thought the timeline for Glenn getting clean was a couple of years later. My recollection is his decision to finally give up drugs coincided with his first diverticulitis attack around 1986. It's possible he may have given up coke initially around 1984, but relapsed some. That would certainly not be unusual. It's hard to know for sure, but in any event, we know that by 1988, he was definitely 'livin' right'. I've never heard for sure when Tim cleaned up, but your assessment makes sense.

As far as Bernie, it sounds like he had the same mindset as many others - if they give up hard drugs, then they don't consider alcohol or weed to be an addiction.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016