Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

About Felder joining the Eagles: https://youtu.be/dodvZo5yeqo

Seems a bit like, guitarwise, Bernie doesn't have as much respect for Felder in the Eagles context as he has for Glenn. Or perhaps there's a bit of jealosy?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh I didn't hear that so much as Bernie really appreciated the direct, expressive way Glenn played. I interpret that as personal preference, while at the same time still respecting where Felder was coming from as a more technical player.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Oh I didn't hear that so much as Bernie really appreciated the direct, expressive way Glenn played. I interpret that as personal preference, while at the same time still respecting where Felder was coming from as a more technical player.
    You're probably right, but usually when I hear the words "fancy licks" I read it as "nice, but personally I prefer a more simple approach."

Anyway, it's been interesting to hear Bernie talk about Glenn as a guitar player. I had no idea he liked Glenn's sound and playing that much even at such an early stage.

For sure there is a hint of distaste for "fancy licks" but also acknowledging that Felder is a great player. Nothing personal, chocolate vs. vanilla.

Stuck on the Border

NMB - Thank you for posting all these interviews - I love them and find Bernie's perspective so interesting. So, he got Don F. the job at Geffen - Roberts - interesting I never knew that. Like Chaim, I also find it interesting that Bernie really likes Glenn's guitar playing/style. It is interesting as all you have to do is listen to Glenn's solo for ICTYW. I can't tell you how many people on You Tube think Felder did the original solo and get all bend out of shape when it is pointed out by someone that Glenn composed and played it on the album.

BTW - Loved his joke about his "Gold Plated Problems"-lol.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 02-16-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks again from me too, NMB. I know we have complained a lot about how Beaudin has dragged this interview out for so long, but I will actually miss these little weekly snippets when it's done. My major criticism is that I do think breaking it up like this disrupts the continuity of the interview.

Anyway, in some ways, I'm not surprised that Bernie prefers a more simplistic style of guitar like Glenn's to Felder's 'fancier' approach. Reading through the lines in Bernie's recent interviews and the HOTE documentary, I believe Bernie gained an immense respect for the 'grown-up' Glenn during the HOTE tour. Everything I've heard him say during and after the tour indicates that he and Glenn seemed to have a very good relationship during that tour. If true, I'm really glad - they both seemed to me to be men with a lot of integrity, so I'm not surprised if they patched up all the old wounds.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    You're probably right, but usually when I hear the words "fancy licks" I read it as "nice, but personally I prefer a more simple approach."

Anyway, it's been interesting to hear Bernie talk about Glenn as a guitar player. I had no idea he liked Glenn's sound and playing that much even at such an early stage.
    I'm personally one of those people, lol. For me, it isn't out of jealousy or secretly wishing I could do that. I genuinely prefer that. Most virtuosos and technicians bore me, honestly.

I personally would not want to play like Joe Satriani. I have no desire. Is he talented and virtuosic, of course. Sometimes people say they prefer less is more but secretly wish they could "shred", play fast, or technical but don't have the motivation to do so and never put in the time. I'm not one of those people. I truly DO prefer less is more and a more raw ragged rock n' roll guitar style. I love Felder's guitar playing, but at the end of the day I do prefer Walsh and Frey's style over that of Felder's. Felder is still inspiring to me. But I prefer a more "devil may care' guitar style. It's because most of the music I like had guitarist's that weren't theory trained, they weren't blistering fast, and they had a fly by the seat of their pants approach to the fretboard that I love. They did things Mel Bay taught you not to do. IMO it carries more attitude and emotion most of the time. There are exceptions to every rule, but part for part I connect more to the guitarists who are more bluesy and simplistic. Angus Young, Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, etc.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

When I mentioned the possibility of jealousy I didn't mean as a guitar player. I meant the situation where his old friend joined the band (as an equal partner) whereas Bernie's country thing was more and more marginalized. I was wondering if Bernie praising Glenn has anything to do with being jealous of his old friend becoming such a big part of the band. Having said that, Bernie did say that if anyone was going to take his place, it was great if it was a friend of his.

Stuck on the Border

Haha, I agree that "I like it simple" can also be an excuse when one would like to play fast, but can't. 😂 Glenn's fastest moment must be the Don't Give Up intro (if that indeed is a guitar played in real time).

I think it must have been hard for Bernie, it would be for anyone, to feel he was being edged out of the band. As he said, he “could see the writing on the wall” what with Felder joining and Walsh being so close so often. Maybe that’s why we hear of Bernie acting out/alienating people in his final year with the band.