Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

Default Re: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

Hooray for The Association

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - thank goodness for the masters of raising the odds!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Another great interview with Bernie, showing insight into some of the reasons the Eagles made it, while others e.g. Poco, did not: top-of-the-line people in management, production, etc. and learning the music business.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I think another reason why the Eagles were more successful than Poco was the shift in sound, as the 70s went on. Where as Poco stayed with the country/soft country-rock format.

The "Eagles" moved onto a more wide-reaching commercial AOR rock and roll sound (what we call "classic rock" today), especially by the time of the OOTN album. I'd wager to bet there was more of a bigger audience in sales for rock acts than country acts back then, and the rock sound was more well-liked by a wider range of people and certainly was more popular with the youth at the time. It wasn't until the 90s that country fans started to really buy tickets and albums and had a huge fanbase. JMO. I think if Poco had shifted with the Eagles to a more of a soft classic rock sound - they'd have been more successful, albeit probably not as successful as the Eagles - because the Eagles were the Eagles afterall. However, they'd have stood the test of time more had they left off the really country-focused sound and put in more rock.

Really the only country artist in my mind that could ever keep up with rock n' roll sales and fanbase and energy-wise, was Garth Brooks, who adapted a very rock-influenced stage show with KISS-like gimmicks and props and his legendary use of a wireless mic so he could be all over the stage and slinging water bottles and moving across the stage on a lift mechanism. That was unheard of at the time in country music. And of course he received backlash from removing the real overly twangy stuff and had more of a basic rock group backing band. Waylon Jennings in particular made a really crude comment that I will not share here (just Google it if you must know). I find that funny because Waylon was also not accepted by the country fans at first either. He was hated by the traditionalists just as much as Luke Bryan and Thomas Rhett are hated today by the traditionalists, who likely love Garth Brooks's music. LOL. That's why I get a big kick out of country traditionalists. People have been complaining about rock and pop sounds in country for a loooooong time. It's nothing new, at all. And go figure, Garth Brooks is one of the 90s country guys I can actually stand, and even like! LOL. I like country when it sounds more like other genres.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I never did get into Garth's music but he seems like a genuinely nice man, as is his wife. Personally, I love Lady Antebellum: their songwriting and harmony singing is top of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think if Poco had shifted with the Eagles to a more of a soft classic rock sound - they'd have been more successful, albeit probably not as successful as the Eagles
    Actually, that's exactly that they did, and that's kinda what happened

Garth’s Double Live album is one of my favorite live albums ever. Lady Antebellum are great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Actually, that's exactly that they did, and that's kinda what happened
    True, Heart of the Night was a big hit for them, as well as Crazy Love. Not your average country rock classics.

Stuck on the Border

I'm sad to say that I'm kinda tired of checking out those clips - unless the subject REALLY interests me (like JOTS). Bernie is fantastic and a joy to listen to, but I'm sick of how much the interviewever loves to have us watching him speak. 🙁

Yeah, I would love to hear more about how some of the Eagles songs came about, e.g. who played the guitar solo in “You Never Cry Like a Lover”? It’s most likely Bernie but it would be nice to have some verification.

Here is the latest video clip of Bernie’s interview. He talks about the short duration of Dillard and Clark and joining the Flying Burrito Brothers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhzJP7pOoio

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Yeah, I would love to hear more about how some of the Eagles songs came about, e.g. who played the guitar solo in “You Never Cry Like a Lover”? It’s most likely Bernie but it would be nice to have some verification.

Here is the latest video clip of Bernie’s interview. He talks about the short duration of Dillard and Clark and joining the Flying Burrito Brothers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhzJP7pOoio
    I have no idea who plays the solo in YNCLAL, but Glenn plays a bit of that in his King Of Hollywood solo.