Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Happy Friday, ever'body! In this brief 2-minute clip, Mr. Leadon talks about "Train Leaves Here This Morning."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcmn...cj7ASlcYhmslKk

News to me: the Eagles performed the "Desperado" album in its entirety at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium back in the day.

He would have liked to sing lead on other songs during the HOTE tour but Henley 'n Frey said no.

Stuck on the Border

I was really surprised to hear (unless I misunderstood) that Glenn and Don told Bernie even in the 70's what song(s) to sing live.

I’d love to know what other ideas Bernie had for the HOTE tour.

I didn’t realize was TLHTM was still being performed in 1975. But then what else would Bernie sing? Don and Glenn probably thought his other songs didn’t fit the setlist. Journey of the Sorcerer was performed at some of the concerts but that doesn’t really count since there are no vocals. TLHTM at least had that Byrds/Gene Clark aura.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Those videos are blocked here in the U.S. but I did listen to those parts on my iPod. I don’t hear where they are exactly the same. The timing on the video isn’t going to be the same as on my iPod so I did try to listen a little before and after those cut-offs. Then again I’m not a guitarist so maybe that why it’s not obvious to me.

Also, the guitar tone in both songs sounds somewhat different to my ears. The guitar in YNCLAL sounds almost pedal steel-like at times. What guitar did Glenn play in KoH? It sounds like his Old Black.

Anyway, it could very well be Glenn playing the YNCLAL solo but then that leads to the question—what did Bernie play? It seems odd that Glynn Johns would not put his talents to use.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Those videos are blocked here in the U.S. but I did listen to those parts on my iPod. I don’t hear where they are exactly the same. The timing on the video isn’t going to be the same as on my iPod so I did try to listen a little before and after those cut-offs. Then again I’m not a guitarist so maybe that why it’s not obvious to me.

Also, the guitar tone in both songs sounds somewhat different to my ears. The guitar in YNCLAL sounds almost pedal steel-like at times. What guitar did Glenn play in KoH? It sounds like his Old Black.

Anyway, it could very well be Glenn playing the YNCLAL solo but then that leads to the question—what did Bernie play? It seems odd that Glynn Johns would not put his talents to use.
    I'm not saying that Glenn played the YNCLAL solo, but there's a short phrase he did play later on. Anyway, Bernie probably played at least the acoustic guitar if Glenn was playing the piano. I think they used to cut the basic tracks as a band so everyone was playing something. Then somebody overdubbed the guitar solo later on.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Not surprising to me that Glenn and Don wanted TLHTM in the setlist for HOTE since that was Bernie's most played live song. I personally would have loved for him to have sang My Man, but I understand why they didn't want it. Bernie seems to understand (or at least accept) that as well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I don't know, but I would assume that most of the HOTE audiences didn't know TLHTM any better than My Man or Bitter Creek. But I guess most of the Bernie written Eagles songs were lyrically a bit too "specific" (not general enough) for a large audience. Bitter Creek is a fantastic song, but lyrically wouldn't have meant much for a casual at that point. My Man is a gorgeus song, but I guess the subject matter is too specific as well. On the other hand it probably wouldn't have worked if Bernie had sung Twenty-One at that point. 😂

Border Troubadour

Wouldn't have minded My Man on the HOTE tour, cracking song and would have broken the Don-Glenn to-and-fro as well as giving On the Border some recognition other than Already Gone and Best of My Love (sadly the latter is true of their entire career).

The way that they'd set up the HOTE shows was quasi-chronological, so something off of the first album made sense for Bernie's song. I prefer "My Man" as well but "Train" first the segment best.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten