Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

That album is Bernie's cash cow. I am not surprised he keeps track of the competition. The GH album has made it possible for Bernie to live comfortably and do whatever he wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    TBH - it doesn't surprise me that Bernie would be informed about this stuff - it's called 'royalties'.
    Right! And not to trivialize his sizable contributions, but for his few years in such a long-lived band, he has been paid royally! He could "take it easy", and the checks kept/keep rolling in!
    I noted the interviewer said Bernie answered "most every question". Makes you wonder what he asked him!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    This week's segment is quite brief, just under 3 minutes, but Bernie talks about the best-selling albums of all time. I'm mildly surprised to hear that he knows (in general terms) the sales figures for the competition - he doesn't seem like the sort to keep track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Mtu35BvPg
    I'm thinking it's because it's such a huge deal to be the best-selling album of all time. I doubt he was obsessively keep track of sales figures all the way through his life, but when one day you get told that that your album is in the top five and still selling, you might start wondering if it would move up further... and you might start keeping an eye on the sales figures to see if and when that happened.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm thinking it's because it's such a huge deal to be the best-selling album of all time. I doubt he was obsessively keep track of sales figures all the way through his life, but when one day you get told that that your album is in the top five and still selling, you might start wondering if it would move up further... and you might start keeping an eye on the sales figures to see if and when that happened.
    I tend to agree. Very few people have ever been in the position Bernie or the other Eagles members are in as far as having the best-selling album in the U.S. For Bernie it may be just a matter of watching or reading the news whenever new sales figures gets published.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Bernie disputes the notion that he left the Eagles because he didn't like the more rock direction the music was taking. He also tells a very interesting (to me, anyway) anecdote about how Glyn Johns refined their sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FaB...tHvMi_WzgGMfwk

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Bernie disputes the notion that he left the Eagles because he didn't like the more rock direction the music was taking. He also tells a very interesting (to me, anyway) anecdote about how Glyn Johns refined their sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FaB...tHvMi_WzgGMfwk
    Bernie is such a good guy. I just like to hear him talk. 👍

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

When I think of Bernie, I don't think of rock and roll. Not his personality and certainly not his guitar style and ability. He's a country bluegrass guy. He says he had no problem with the rock music, yet Glenn and Bill S both said that Bernie was unhappy with the fact they were shedding more of the country sound in favor of a straight ahead rock edge. Even Bernie alluded to that in the doc. I think Bernie wanted a mix of things. He would play rock as long as he'd play country. He's an excellent country guitarist. I think he wanted to stick to his specialty. I can't blame him. His comment about the settings on guitars and amps was amusing. Personally, I think not all the controls on the amp should be on 10, just the volume! Treble on 10 is ear piercing and painful. But the only control that should be on 10 is the volume! I'm firmly of the belief if it's too loud or too rock n' roll, you're too old or just stuffy. But keep in mind I grew up with a mom who loved Metallica and Guns N' Roses and a dad who loved AC/DC and Aerosmith. There was no John Denver or Glenn Campbell records floating around. It was all rock all the time. My mom is into heavier music than my dad, though. I love rock and roll period!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 10-18-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, Bernie was probably fine with a bit of rock music here and there, but didn't like the idea of losing the country element.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That's what I think too, Austin and chaim. Like most things in life, the reason he left is probably a bit complicated. However, I don't think he would have been in favor of abandoning the country sound altogether and going for the straight rock and roll direction that the band was going in. I've said before, Bernie's contributions were definitely out of sync with the band on the One of These Nights album. I'm sure there were several reasons involved with his decision, but, it is obvious that many people at the time had the impression that the band's move towards a more rock and roll sound was a big factor in his departure. He even told the story in one of the segments about how he wanted to play things his way when he joined the HOTE tour.

In any event, despite the contradictions, I have a lot of respect for Bernie as well, and I also liked the story about Glyn Johns lowering the volume on the instruments.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I have really enjoyed these interviews with Bernie and have a lot of respect for him. I wish it had been one long interview though. I agree with you all that Bernie was ok with some R&R but wanted to stick to their CR roots. Dreamer, I think your mention that Bernie wanted to do things his way during the HOTE Tour is interesting. I think all five of the guys were very opinionated and wanted to do things their way. Even Felder stated Bernie could be very stubborn. Life can be complicated, so I can just imagine being in a band with a bunch of twenty something guys who are all type A personalities, all extremely talented, and wanting things their way. However, I don't think they were any different than any other band.
    My sister's husband has been in various bands since high school. She was complaining to me the other day about "band issues" he has. Just goes to show you don't have to be famous to have "band issues".