Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dublin Ireland 6th and 8th July 2019

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Dublin Ireland 6th and 8th July 2019

Not at all Brooke and I thoroughly agree with all your sentiments about that band. Its a personal decision for everybody - I hope that I get to see any of the other band members solo in the future too. I would even go to see Vince as Vince as opposed to Glenn 's replacement.

We are 'all hands on deck' at the moment doing some redecorating but I hope to get Last weeks review up soon. Promise!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Dreamer firstly, thank you for visiting the thread and for reading my comments. I also consider you a great friend and have loved all our Glenn and Eagles adventures together. It was lovely to be seated beside you at my last 'true' Eagles concert. And a lot of what you have commented is indeed true - I'm not by any meands saying that this new lineup is perfect. They may have found a formula that works for them but there's a lot of Glenn 's personality that could'nt have been replaced. He had that ability to draw people to him and even in a crowd of 20,000+ he could make you feel special, make you feel like he was talking to you personally. His interactions with the audience (of which I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end a few times) wasn't there. So to me too they are not the 'real' or authentic' band. But again thank you for dropping in, commenting and showing me respect. Its more than other people have done and I appreciate you for that. And back to you too!
    GA - I'm sorry to hear about people who have been disrespectful to you over this. I find it such a shame that such insensitive and discourteous behavior is so prevalent in our society today. So sad!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

GA. I'm so sorry you got some negativity from going to the two concerts. I really didn't know you had to get permission to go. Its your choice. People should respect that and not make you feel ashamed for going.

On another note. I'm glad you went and enjoyed yourself. Can't wait for the recap from second night.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

So finally onto Monday!

Monday morning I decided to get the day off to a good start by playing Glenn's 'Live in Dublin' DVD. I dont know was it spurred on by the fact that WMT had been playing in the arena on the saturday night, whether it was because the 8th of July was the date it was filmed originally on in 1992, or just because I wanted to get into the mood for the evening later on. But it was a nice way to start the day.

Fast forward to about 5 pm once again I hooked up with Desperada, DivineDon, L101 and some other people I met on Saturday night. This time we had 'proper' VIP tickets and had access to the VIP bar. We got goodie bags which ahd a baseball cap, poster (very generic) Bandana and a belt clip with a bottle opener. Not too bad. There haven't been tour bools on this tour so far.e the raffle. An 'On the Border' t-shirt looked lovely but I didn't win it. Then they showed the red Desperado shirt. I joked to Desperada that I'd probably win this one as I already had it. Whereupon the girl called out..... MY NUMBER!! and I DID win it. There were also copious quantities of Eagles VIP guitar picks around the room, so I helped myself to more than a few.

The big surprise was my seat. As I said previously when I booked it it said Row H which I assumed to be Row 7. In fact I was led into Row 2! centre of the row! What a pleasant surprise. Our host also had a word with the security guys to clarify the photo policy and confirm with them that stills were allowed. And another little bonus, my hubby's friend Derek (I mentioned him in the 2014 reviews) was also on duty that nightso I knew there might be a bonus at the end!!

As for the show itself, Obviously the set list was the same as Saturdays so no real need to go through it song by song. However I will give some observations about it that I maybe missed or were different to the Saturday show.

Firstly - Just before the band struck up with 7 Br Road Don gave Deacon a little fist bump. They were both smiling at each other. I don't know was it encouragement for Deacon, or a 'we're in this together' or 'Last one for now Mate' but it looked endearing to sat the least. I had not seen that on Saturday night. Possibly as I was further away. Then When Joe made his little speech at the start he referred to playing 'Last night'. One can only hope he didn't sleep all through Sunday and that it was a slip of the tongue!!I could study Deacon more clearly from the seat I had. He doesn't LOOK that much like Glenn , but he sure has mannerisms when he is singing that resemble Glenn s in a big way. A way Glenn had of closing his eyes - Deacon does the same, and certain ways he retreats into the background when someone else is singing and coming forward again to provide harmony. He's good but I imagine he will want to pursue his own career in the not too distant future. Once again I found his conversation very fresh and obviously younger than the other guys. I tried to get the picture of Glenn again when Deacon finished PEF but I think Saturdays one was better.

I noticed Joe playing the piano on a few occasions where Glenn used to. He was his usually funny self. A newspaper review stated that he had played some guitar solos to the point of being boring but I certainaly have never been bored by Joes guitar playing and judging form the people around me I don't think they were bored either!!
    Overall I thought that the band was looser and more coordinated and generally happier than they were on Saturday. The transitions between the songs were smoother. But again that audience interaction that Glenn was a master at wasn't there. He had a way of engaging with people during certain songs and making them feel like they were the only person in the audience! I also missed his jokes and his shoutouts!! (Who likes Country Rock in Dublin Ireland....etc)

Timothy is down to 2 lead songs on this tour. I don't know is that his choice or not. He seemed in fine voice. He always praises Ireland and these shows were no exception. He tells us that Jean is Irish, coming from (London)Derry and that he has his Irish passport now as well! So now we have an irish Eagle!! I'm not sure myself why he feels the need for an Irish passport - I'd be quite happy to take his American one if he doesn't want it!! lol! He said he and Jean were going to stay on in Ireland and that some of her family were in the audience.

Don Henley is quite the elder statesman of the band. He seems in excellent form at present, note perfect, in fine voice and meticulous delivery of his songs. Watching him makes me realise that he still has the ability to perform at this level and I suppose when coupled with his speech at the end about musicians not stopping playing because they have gotten old, but getting old because they stop playing makes me understand at least some of his motivation for keeping the band running. His energy in BOS - he was like a young man, not a guy approaching 73. And unlike on Saturday they jumped in the way they used to during LITFL.

Vince....I liked Vince's own song and I would go to see him play in his own right - he really tries to add some depth to the band, but for me theres only one person who can sing songs like Lyin Eyes and its not Vince!

I was nearer to the horns section and really got to appreciate their contribution to the band, but I do wonder between 3 Eagles, Deacon, Vince, Steuart, the back up guys ( I could see Will Hollis and Scott Crago at least) how they manage to even get onto the stage!! But the lont trumpet heralding in Hotel California on a warm (wet) Dublin evening was lovely to hear.

I must say regardless of the show or the circumstances Desperado is a song that never fails to move me. I've hugged to it, smiled to it, cried through it, and smiled through my tears through it. I think it should still be the last song of the show. What better note to end on than 'let somebody love you, before its too late'. I think BOML should be part of the show, perhaps even in one of the encores, but the way its included is like a bit of an after thought. JMHO.

After LITFL I was talking to a Dutch couple beside me who were surprised that HC hadn't been played at that stage, but I assured them it would be an encore. When the show was over the guy gave me his and her VIP bags saying they didn't want the goodies!! So I have enough baseball caps to open a store at this stage!! Derek also gave me a set list at the end of the show so it was a nice touch to finish with.

So the overall verdict of the 2 shows?
    I AM glad that I went to the two shows. I knew they would not be the same as in Glenn 's day. But it helped me understand more why they felt the need to resume the band. How they went about it, I guess they found a formula that worked for them. And the motivation not to grow old and fade away I guess. And fair play to them for that.

I will finish where I started. I love Glenn Frey and I always will
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Again, thanks for sharing GA. I appreciate your thoughts on this version of the band. At least you weren't bothered by the Camera Nazi on the second night!

Don Henley is quite the elder statesman of the band. He seems in excellent form at present, note perfect, in fine voice and meticulous delivery of his songs. Watching him makes me realise that he still has the ability to perform at this level and I suppose when coupled with his speech at the end about musicians not stopping playing because they have gotten old, but getting old because they stop playing makes me understand at least some of his motivation for keeping the band running. His energy in BOS - he was like a young man, not a guy approaching 73. And unlike on Saturday they jumped in the way they used to during LITFL.
    Forgive me for adding a reply to my reply... but this section of your review reminded me of Billy Joel's recent interview for Billboard Magazine. He is still touring in a limited capacity, but he does have a monthly show at MSG. Here's what he said about touring at his age:

​While taking a hiatus from touring earlier in the decade, Joel reached out to some of his friends who continued to hit the road year after year, including Bruce Springsteen.

“I was questioning a lot of things: ‘Why are you guys still doing this?’ And they would say, ‘This is what we do.’ And I said, ‘You know what? They’re right,'” he explained. “I know how to do this. This is what I do. It takes a while to realize this.”

Stuck on the Border

GA - Thank You for the review. Glad you had a good time, a great seat, and were not bothered by the CN.
    Hope going to these concerts brought peace to you.

BTW, I think Deacon looks so much like his beautiful mother. He does have Glenn's beautiful long wavy hair and long fingers (wonder if he knows how to play piano ? ).

I believe Otis is the family piano player, - he does Jazz piano. I herad him playing on an instagram live feed. He is very good.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

I believe Otis is the family piano player, - he does Jazz piano. I herad him playing on an instagram live feed. He is very good.
    Do you know if he sings ?

Thank you for the nice review, GA. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the concert both nights and can appreciate their motivations (i.e. it’s not all about $$). And how lucky you were with the better-than-expected seat, T-shirt and extra goodies.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...