The Prelude – As a die hard Glenn fan who has openly criticised this what made me do it…..

A lot of online friends both on and off the Border have been asking me for a review, as well as asking for my motivation to even attend these shows so I will do my best to provide both. It could be quite long so I will split it up into a few shorter parts to avoid reader fatigue.

Before I start however let me categorically state that I LOVE Glenn Frey. I always will. That will never change. I was and still am devastated over what happened to him and to his band. The night (because in Ireland it was after 10pm) that Soda texted me about his death was the worst shock I have ever had experienced, and for me still lives on to this day. The next 24 hours particularly I hope are never repeated in my life. Nothing ever could or every will emulate what he has done and I always knew and had to accept that any realignment would only be second best. To be honest I never thought the band would reunite and was (and still am to a point) very sceptical of their motivation or ability to succeed as a new brand. I also though that continuing with the name ‘Eagles’ as if nothing had happened was an insult to Glenn and his memory – like they were air brushing him out and continuing on like nothing had happened. I was quite happy that they seemed to have no intention of playing in Dublin as up to last September they had only played US dates. However my friends in Dublin seemed to think it was wonderful that the band had resurrected and assumed I was too. There have been many online discussions as to whether Glenn would have approved or not, or as to whether there was a need to carry on and certainly Don’s explanations seemed weak and ‘Irving induced’. Indeed I felt the whole resumption was motivated by Irving rather than the band and I still do. I certainly had no intention of supporting the new arrangement and certainly wasn’t going to travel to see them. I felt I had had my time and that my last show was with Soda, Dreamer, HH, HB, Desperada etc (Hope I left no one out) in 2014.
So it was a shock to say the least when one Friday morning in late September last year texts started popping up that the ‘Eagles’ were playing in the 3 Arena this summer, and gave the usual details for presale etc. I actually started crying and when I eventually had to go into people knew I was upset. My friend who knows me better than I know myself at times immediately knew why and she said ‘We are going. You are going. No question’ As she has gone to shows with me on my instigation in the past I really couldn’t object. Meantime all over the weekend I was getting texts and calls and family were assuming I would be going (and that I was delighted about it). I knew that if I decided not to go I would be fielding these queries off for the next 9 months and it would only get more emotional as the time went on.
I also reasoned that I had been to see both Don (H) and Joe in the interim as solo shows and knew they still have the ability to perform, I have been to see a few excellent tribute bands – could they be better than what was left of the band?
Finally I had to ask myself asked myself what would make me feel worse 9 months later- going to see them without Glenn or not going at all?
The presale was the following Wednesday. I still went into work unsure of what to do. As usual with the Eagles no information had been released on presale about prices, seats, VIP etc. Its always guesswork. Before I could even log on to ticketmaster the aforementioned friend fell awkwardly on her side, broke both bones in her lower arm and was transported immediately to hospital. I went down at lunchtime. High on morphine with a cast running from her shoulder to her hand and awaiting an operation to realign the bones all she could say was ‘BOOK’. So I did. I was disappointed there was no standing room and all the seats of any worth carried handsome VIP prices but I managed to get Row 3 of the lower tier with a view straight on the stage. And it was near!!
By 9:10 am 2 days later on the general sale there wasn’t a seat to be had and the guys released another date 8th July – the 27th anniversary of Glenn’s Live in Dublin performance. I took it as an omen and Somewhat impulsively I decided it might be their last ever European show so I booked again – this time a flat seat row H which appeared to be 7 rows back. Not too bad for someone who hadn’t been sure if she would go…………

So I hope this rather longwinded post does something to explain the backdrop to my decision. I know I have received some criticism and some support and some people maybe wouldn’t do it themselves but won’t chide me for doing so. To them I say thank you. To the others I say that sometimes you have to follow your instinct and the best laid plans can change.