Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dublin Ireland 6th and 8th July 2019

Default Re: Dublin Ireland 6th and 8th July 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    To be honest guys I have had my reservations too and I would have preferred too that they use a modified name such as 'Eagles Featuring Deacon Frey' or 'New Eagles' or 'reformed Eagles' or 'Eagles plus guests' or something like that to acknowledge that it was not the same band. But they did it the way they wanted to.

And I acknowlege the support of people who didn't and don't agree with this reunion but allowed me at least to try it out. Really only 1 person called me out on it, on FB as opposed to here.
    I think originally, they called the lineup as being something like”. The Eagles with guests Deacon Frey and Vince Gill” I think they did it away with recently for whatever reason

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Too much of a mouthful maybe?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    BTW, Originally they were supposed to be called "Eagles And Friends". So much much for that early statement by Don.
    I remember, before all this started, Joe said something about them calling themselves "Eagles Friends and Family" but I don't remember hearing anything official about that (of course, I could be forgetting something - wouldn't be the first time). There is one reason and one reason only not to tour under another name: it would make less money.

People want to see the "Eagles." Many of them would not show up to see the same men if they called themselves something else, even if it is a small change. People will say, "I want to see the Eagles before it's too late!" People won't say, "I want to check seeing 'Eagles Friends and Family' off of my bucket list." So "Eagles" it is. Obviously, they knew what they were doing. They gambled most fans would still come to see a band called the "Eagles" without Glenn and they were right. Tickets have sold quite well.

But regardless of what I think of the band's choice, I'm glad you had a good time, GA. Of course you should do what makes you happy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I remember, before all this started, Joe said something about them calling themselves "Eagles Friends and Family" but I don't remember hearing anything official about that (of course, I could be forgetting something - wouldn't be the first time). There is one reason and one reason only not to tour under another name: it would make less money.

People want to see the "Eagles." Many of them would not show up to see the same men if they called themselves something else, even if it is a small change. People will say, "I want to see the Eagles before it's too late!" People won't say, "I want to check seeing 'Eagles Friends and Family' off of my bucket list." So "Eagles" it is. Obviously, they knew what they were doing. They gambled most fans would still come to see a band called the "Eagles" without Glenn and they were right. Tickets have sold quite well.

But regardless of what I think of their choice, I'm glad you had a good time, GA. Of course you should do what makes you happy.

You are right Soda - it was "Eagles Friends and Family". I knew it was something like that. Totally agree if they used a different name they would not be selling as many tickets. People want to know they are buying their expensive tickets to see the Eagles.

Great review, GA, thank you for posting it as well as the pic. It’s too bad there wasn’t more leniency about pictures given it could well be the last concert of their very last European tour.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I remember, before all this started, Joe said something about them calling themselves "Eagles Friends and Family" but I don't remember hearing anything official about that (of course, I could be forgetting something - wouldn't be the first time).
    Ditto, I’m pretty sure it was Joe who said they might use that name. I guess the promoters had other ideas.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Out on the Border

Hi All
    This is my first post
    GA thanks for your review
    I went to the Manchester concert,on 26th June I've played and loved the music for over 40 years, I never got to see the Eagles with Glenn, my work schedule made it difficult, so I splashed out for the lowest cost tickets.
    I really enjoyed the concert it was described in the UK press as slick it was, the sound was excellent Don came on at the beginning ans said they were going to play 2.5 hours of music (they did) no fireworks no choreography just guys playing music he said that seemed to have worked for a while.The set list was the same as Dublin, Don did a lovely intro for Deacon saying he embarrassed him at every show they did lots of references to Glenn throughout the show I've seen clips of Glenn doing intros on YouTube and yes it would have made things flow better but I think that's the point they know no one can replace Glenn and they're not trying to.
    The voices and music were really good i liked Deacon and Vince - a great concert
    I've read this site for a while mainly since I retired early whilst recovering from an accident I don't pretend to know any of the Eagles or what's in their heads but from my point of view my job sort of defined me even though I didn't necessarily love it so I can understand the remaining Eagles want to continue playing
    This is still a seriously good group who did a great concert and we all sang Lying Eyes on the tram home.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

GA – Let me start off by saying that I consider you a friend and a very sweet person. But, I’m not gonna lie – I struggled about whether or not to comment in this thread. I didn’t want to bring it down, but I finally decided that my silence may be perceived as being critical of you. On the other hand, I have to be truthful about feeling very differently about this line-up of the band than you do.

So, first of all, I totally agree that we are all grown adults and have the right to make our own personal choices. As long as we are comfortable with our decisions, then we don’t have to justify it to others. I believe we all need to be respectful of those who make different choices than we do. So, I decided to post because I didn’t want you to think that I am judging or being critical of you. I’m glad you enjoyed the show and that’s all that should matter.

Where we differ is that I have absolutely no interest or desire to see this band without their fearless leader and have never wavered in my feelings. TBH, I feel so strongly about it that I’m not even remotely curious to hear about them, much less to see them. I also agree with much of what Soda said about the band. And no matter what justification they use, the fact is they replaced Glenn, pure and simple. These are the reasons I hesitated about posting here to begin with. In my mind, the Eagles are over and I accepted that from the moment that I learned about Glenn’s death.

So, I guess what it all boils down to is that this is just one of those subjects between fans and friends that is a lot like politics and religion. Sometimes people have such different perspectives on things that they have a hard time understanding a particular viewpoint no matter how much it is discussed and debated. However, that doesn’t mean we should let it divide us and that we should dislike one another. It just means that we have to respect each other’s feelings and agree to disagree. So, a big to you from a friend across the pond. And a big hive-five to living your life on your on terms, rather than what others want. Or as a wise Englishman once said, “To thine own self, be true”.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome to The Border, Paradise. Hope you enjoy it here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    GA – Let me start off by saying that I consider you a friend and a very sweet person. But, I’m not gonna lie – I struggled about whether or not to comment in this thread. I didn’t want to bring it down, but I finally decided that my silence may be perceived as being critical of you. On the other hand, I have to be truthful about feeling very differently about this line-up of the band than you do.

So, first of all, I totally agree that we are all grown adults and have the right to make our own personal choices. As long as we are comfortable with our decisions, then we don’t have to justify it to others. I believe we all need to be respectful of those who make different choices than we do. So, I decided to post because I didn’t want you to think that I am judging or being critical of you. I’m glad you enjoyed the show and that’s all that should matter.

Where we differ is that I have absolutely no interest or desire to see this band without their fearless leader and have never wavered in my feelings. TBH, I feel so strongly about it that I’m not even remotely curious to hear about them, much less to see them. I also agree with much of what Soda said about the band. And no matter what justification they use, the fact is they replaced Glenn, pure and simple. These are the reasons I hesitated about posting here to begin with. In my mind, the Eagles are over and I accepted that from the moment that I learned about Glenn’s death.

So, I guess what it all boils down to is that this is just one of those subjects between fans and friends that is a lot like politics and religion. Sometimes people have such different perspectives on things that they have a hard time understanding a particular viewpoint no matter how much it is discussed and debated. However, that doesn’t mean we should let it divide us and that we should dislike one another. It just means that we have to respect each other’s feelings and agree to disagree. So, a big to you from a friend across the pond. And a big hive-five to living your life on your on terms, rather than what others want. Or as a wise Englishman once said, “To thine own self, be true”.
    Dreamer firstly, thank you for visiting the thread and for reading my comments. I also consider you a great friend and have loved all our Glenn and Eagles adventures together. It was lovely to be seated beside you at my last 'true' Eagles concert. And a lot of what you have commented is indeed true - I'm not by any meands saying that this new lineup is perfect. They may have found a formula that works for them but there's a lot of Glenn 's personality that could'nt have been replaced. He had that ability to draw people to him and even in a crowd of 20,000+ he could make you feel special, make you feel like he was talking to you personally. His interactions with the audience (of which I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end a few times) wasn't there. So to me too they are not the 'real' or authentic' band. But again thank you for dropping in, commenting and showing me respect. Its more than other people have done and I appreciate you for that. And back to you too!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ga, I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you for going, because I wasn't. I agree with what Dreamer said wholeheartedly. Thank you for your review and I want to hear about the second night too! I am glad you enjoyed going and I understand your hesitation. I'm just not there. I wish the band all the success in the world and would love to see Henley, Walsh, and Schmit solo anytime.

We all have to do what we have to do.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten