Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The appeal of kpop

Default Re: The appeal of kpop

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm completely lost, not surprised!
    Some clarification: kpop is Korean pop music, and BTS is a popular Korean boy band (although some of their fans chafe at the description of "boy band.")

Here is one of their songs:

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Hi Soda. I am familiar with BTS because I watch Saturday Night Live every week and they were on an episode this season. It was pretty funny to watch their big dance numbers on that tiny stage, but I enjoyed it. Also, my (very much) younger colleagues just went to their LA shows. I put them in the category of "entertainer," not musician or band. They don't write songs, play instruments, or sing live much. They are mainly nice looking young dancers. Same with BlackPink which is a girl Kpop band. The boys (men) are all VERY skinny, clearly restricting calories, costumed with major hair and makeup, in a somewhat "effeminate" look, if you had to put a label on it. But yeah, they're a huge thing.

Also, that's Halsey in the video and singing on the song. Do you all know Halsey? (She was on SNL this season, too).

I hope everyone is having a good summer!

Stuck on the Border

Ahhh.... Now I know who you mean ! I think I saw them on GMA and one of the music shows like "The Voice" . Thanks Soda and MaryC too !

Any time an act's lyrics, melodies, and musicianship take a back seat to their dancing, clothes, and looks...I 'm not interested.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Any time an act's lyrics, melodies, and musicianship take a back seat to their dancing, clothes, and looks...I 'm not interested.
    Yeah I agree. I mean, I'm all about rock and roll and stage presence and all of that and gimmicks - but the music quality has to be there.

IMO, acts like this use the "music" as a vehicle to put on a live performance or for video, one that is far more visual than auditory. It's more of a play or choreographed Broadway-type show. It's all about the way they look, the stage looks, the gimmicks, and the crowd. It's all designed to be filled with overstimulation to make you think it's the greatest thing ever. Our Eagles would be boring to the types who like this stuff.

They aren't musicians or artists - at least not to me. They are strictly entertainers, much like the Jersey Boys or Jeff Dunham or the Ringling Bros.

I think sometimes some individuals in these acts are actually talented, but let some promoter convince them this is the way to go to make big money. Initially they may be right. But with this sort of thing, when the look goes out, so does the band. Shortly, people are embarrassed to admit they ever liked them.

How much better to have the longevity of a band like the Eagles, while not flashy, transcend generations with their undeniable talent and substance. I'll take "loitering" any day!

BTS are reaching international levels of fame, but they aren't any different than some of the USA-born boy bands/pop icon artists. It's just a phase/cliche.

Somehow, I don't think we'll all be talking about them in 20 years. We'll still be talking about the Eagles though. Gee, I wonder why... Something to do with talent, authenticity, non-formulaic/cookie cutter songwriting, and well-versed musicianship. Quality! Back when you had to actually be good at your craft and be able to sing and play without "help" to actually get somewhere, and you didn't have to look like you belong on the cover of Vogue or GQ to be a successful artist and you didn't have to live a fake super-public life, either. You either had talent or you didn't, and your good looks and extroverted nature didn't matter a bit.

The mentality now is this - be a good celebrity, with a huge social media following, look like a million bucks, and we'll take care of your pitchy or just flat out bad vocals and we'll not plug your guitar into the PA so no one will know you can't really sing or play, we just want you because you look and act the part and we can fix the sound later. We can either put in prerecorded guitar tracks or have someone strum a guitar offstage for you but everyone will think you are the one playing. Feeling sick today? How about not even mess with Auto-Tune and trying to sing, we'll just have you lip sync to vocal tracks tonight. Can't write a song to save your life? That's ok. We'll have our team of writers who recycle the same tired cliches over and over write a hit for you, based on the tried and true teen-tested formula. Just look good to the opposite sex and have an elaborate social life and presence in the media and we'll give you the "songs".

I mean, I don't want to put anyone down for their looks - but can you imagine someone like Meat Loaf being a star or successful artist in today's age if he was just getting started? There's people that have been on shows like The Voice and American Idol who sound incredible, but because they didn't have the persona or the right outfit or look, they were either turned down at the audition or got voted off early. It's a real shame. At least with The Voice, the auditions are blind and you can't see what they look like until you've already turned your chair one way or another. It's so freaking shallow and it just feels so plastic and fake.

BTS (and their ilk) are to good music what fake gold plated earrings are to fine jewelry. Sure, it might look really cool at first and it will get attention no doubt, but when the faux cheap gold coating starts flaking off people are going to feel embarrassed and ashamed, and everyone will think they are phony (which they are) and a poser and will see through the facade and probably wouldn't admit to have ever even liked it.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 07-25-2019 at 05:30 AM.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I adore BTS !! I only became a fan fairly recently, but I think they're great, and their songs are very catchy !! V is my bias, so I have collected a lot of things with him on them. They make me happy, no shame in my game !!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    I adore BTS !! I only became a fan fairly recently, but I think they're great, and their songs are very catchy !! V is my bias, so I have collected a lot of things with him on them. They make me happy, no shame in my game !!
    You go, girl! Represent for the BTS Army! (This is why my friend calls herself a member of at least lol). And hey, I still the New Kids on the Block so I hear ya.

Whatever makes you happy!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I definitely believe in whatever makes you happy. (Within standards, of course--lol!) I don't think you should like OR dislike something based on others' opinions. I only feel stronger about that the older I get. Life is short. Enjoy what moves YOU.