Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The appeal of kpop

Default The appeal of kpop

I have a friend who just became a huge fan of a group called BTS. She can't stop gushing about them. I am not sure about them but it seems that once someone becomes a fan, they become a BIG fan. Do we have any members here who are into kpop?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: The appeal of kpop

I'm afraid you could put me in the "Not Even Remotely" column!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Ditto!
    Yeah, make me the third "Not even..." Kids' music these days... what are they thinking?

This friend I am talking about... she is only a few years younger than I am!! And they have completely taken over her brain!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I saw a referece to this in a quiz recently. My daughter was able to answer the question but I hadn't and still haven't aclue!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm completely lost, not surprised!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

The only reason I've even heard of BTS is because I watch The Voice on NBC every year and this year on the finale they misspoke and said they'd be on the first night, and it was actually the second night and all the BTS fangirls/boys from the world over proceded to rip NBC a new one because they thought that BTS had been axed from the performances. They were so rude and out of control. It's almost a cult, IMO. I never got into the boy bands - regardless of type or era. Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, One Direction, The Jonas Brothers, etc are all absolutely garbage music to me. They all have extreme over the top superfans.

And while Taylor Swift isn't a boy band, lol, I find her fans just as over the top as well. When you talk negatively about Taylor (and I don't mean be mean to her, just criticize her or her music in any way), her fans will literally stop at nothing to make sure you are held to the stake for it and beaten over and over. It's like you said something bad about their grandmother. I cannot fathom that level of fandom of a stranger. They put them on a hero status and a super high celebrity pedestal and I don't like that. It's like - they are human just like us. And you can bet they've made their fair share of mistakes and bad decisions.

It's just mind boggling to me that someone would let someone or a group of people take over their life.

I mean, when your personal Twitter handle (not just a fan page) is "justinbieberforever2006", you might want to re-evaluate things a bit.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The only reason I've even heard of BTS is because I watch The Voice on NBC every year and this year on the finale they misspoke and said they'd be on the first night, and it was actually the second night and all the BTS fangirls/boys from the world over proceded to rip NBC a new one because they thought that BTS had been axed from the performances. They were so rude and out of control. It's almost a cult, IMO. I never got into the boy bands - regardless of type or era. Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, One Direction, The Jonas Brothers, etc are all absolutely garbage music to me. They all have extreme over the top superfans.

And while Taylor Swift isn't a boy band, lol, I find her fans just as over the top as well. When you talk negatively about Taylor (and I don't mean be mean to her, just criticize her or her music in any way), her fans will literally stop at nothing to make sure you are held to the stake for it and beaten over and over. It's like you said something bad about their grandmother. I cannot fathom that level of fandom of a stranger. They put them on a hero status and a super high celebrity pedestal and I don't like that. It's like - they are human just like us. And you can bet they've made their fair share of mistakes and bad decisions.

It's just mind boggling to me that someone would let someone or a group of people take over their life.

I mean, when your personal Twitter handle (not just a fan page) is "justinbieberforever2006", you might want to re-evaluate things a bit.
    Soda - This part cracked me up !
    I think Taylor Swift is talented but her songs all sound the same to me. I have to admit, I have never heard of BTS.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm with you, NKIT. I guess I lead a sheltered life these days because I never heard of kpop or BTS. Guess I'll have to find time to check it out.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016