Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eagles Hell Freezes Over CD Elimination Game Starts 8/4/19 at 8:00 p.m.

Default Re: Eagles Hell Freezes Over CD Elimination Game Starts 8/4/19 at 8:00 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I know it's been a couple of weeks since we played this game, but I wanted to wait to hear everyone's input before I weighed in on this. I thought I would post my thoughts in this thread in case folks have some other ideas about any future games that we may consider. First of all, thanks to everyone who played and it seems like the overall feedback from the participant's was that it was fun and fast-paced.

However, based on feedback from others that did not participate, it seems like the perception was that the game was confusing. TBH, I can't think of any ways to simplify it, but am definitely open to hearing others thoughts about this.

Now, from my perspective as the moderator, the game was very labor-intensive for me, mainly because I felt I needed to keep the game going by posting every chance I could because of the low participation. Thus, the game was dominated by just a handful of players, including yours truly. I believe more participation would have made the game more interesting and required less of my time.

The game lasted almost a week, which isn't too far off from what I was aiming for. To keep the game at a desired pace, I think the rules can be adjusted a little for any future games depending on the number of songs in the game. If there a fewer songs, one way to slow down the pace is to assign more points to the songs at the beginning e.g. we could start each song off with 20 points instead of 15. And for albums, with lots of songs, the number of points assigned at the start of the game could be lowered.

The other way to control the pace of the game is by adjusting the number of players who must vote before a player is eligible to play again. In this case, if we wanted to slow down the pace, we could change the rule so that 4 or 5 players must vote before you can play again. On the other hand, if there is lot's of participation, this may very little impact on the pace of the game.

Anyway, I would love to hear anyone's suggestions and ideas about this. I would be happy to moderate another game at some time in the future if we can get a fair amount of participation.
    I think the game might be confusing if one reads the rules, but not once one sees it in action. If anyone is confused by what they read in the first post, just look at the next few posts, and I think your confusion will be cleared up. If you have a question, then please ask it!

Per your other suggestions, assigning more points at the beginning might be a good idea.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Eagles Hell Freezes Over CD Elimination Game Starts 8/4/19 at 8:00 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think the game might be confusing if one reads the rules, but not once one sees it in action. If anyone is confused by what they read in the first post, just look at the next few posts, and I think your confusion will be cleared up. If you have a question, then please ask it!
    Actually, this is exactly how it was for me.

I'm a fast reader and know a lot of words, lol, but my reading comprehension/memory of what I read is not as good. I have to read small parts to remember it. I always failed those Accelerated Reader tests in school. I could read the book out loud or in my head no problem, but I couldn't remember it all. I have to take my time with big books, I only read maybe a half chapter a day to make sure I can remember it all. In other words - my short term memory sucks, lol. I remember the serial number of my first laptop (why?!) but I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night. Once it's in long term memory, it never leaves.

When I read the rules it was too much to take in, but once I saw the first post, and then the follow up to that I knew what to do as far as the master list (adding/subtracting). Putting down which songs was the easy part, but understanding how to edit the list was something I learned once I had seen a couple posts. I don't think that means there is anything wrong with Dreamer's rule post, it's just my comprehension.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I just realized that I forgot to reply to this thread. I appreciate your feedback, Soda and Austin.

I was thinking that in my attempt to simplify the game's rules, I may have actually created more confusion. Maybe, I would have been better off with less examples because I think my lengthy post created a perception that the game was more complicated than it actually is.

But, as Soda said, for those who wanted to participate, but were reluctant, I'll be glad to try to walk through a couple of examples with you if we decide to play another game.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, I thought the game was too complicated and didn't even try to play. I was afraid I would do it wrong! But, you had a good amount of people playing, so I think I just didn't want to take the time to figure it out. And that's just me, I prefer easy and not much thinking!

ETA: One thing, I've been a bookkeeper for nearly 29 years now so maybe that's another reason I wasn't too excited about this game!
    Last edited by Brooke; 08-27-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I liked it ,but will admit, I didn't read the rules all that close. I was able to pick it up fairly easily though. I liked voting for my favorite every time, didn't help, but was good. I don't really like the idea of not voting for the same song twice in a row. But will go with to flow. Thanks for all your hard work for the games, much appreciated.