Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
While he wasn't as technical of a guitarist, the fact he did play with a more loose soulful bluesy style made his solos the way they were. When a more fluid schooled player plays them, they sound too perfected. The beauty is in their simplicity and the loose phrasing and feel. That's certainly the case with ICTYW. Glenn's guitar playing is heavily underrated and I feel he more than held his own with Felder and Walsh.

Also, I don't think Glenn had to do that many takes of his solos to be able to play them, that almost infers that he had trouble playing them compared to Felder, which isn't true. It's true he wanted the best for the band, but I really don't think he struggled all that much with the solos he created. I think he executed them very well and it takes a player of his more laid back style to do them exactly. Felder and Stu play all the notes in all the right places and so it sounds right, but the feel of them is different. The best way I can describe it is that it's more clinical, and doesn't have that loose feel of the original. It's too polished. Which on a song like ICTYW, isn't always the best thing. Sometimes you want something a bit "from the hip". Perfection was Glenn's thing in the Eagles, but his guitar style exuded more rawness than that of Don Felder.
As I said before, we don’t know how many takes Glenn needed to record his solos. Maybe not many. But b/c Glenn was a perfectionist, I can imagine him doing multiple takes before getting it just right according to his own standards. It was the same for his vocals. He recorded multiple takes of Lyin Eyes and Bill S. even put different parts together just for the word “city.” This doesn’t mean he was a sub-par vocalist. OTOH, playing lead guitar was Felder’s specialty and he could learn to play something live fairly quickly due to his some of his experiences pre-Eagles.