Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder Television Appearances

Default Re: Don to appear on The Rachael Ray Show

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    While he wasn't as technical of a guitarist, the fact he did play with a more loose soulful bluesy style made his solos the way they were. When a more fluid schooled player plays them, they sound too perfected. The beauty is in their simplicity and the loose phrasing and feel. That's certainly the case with ICTYW. Glenn's guitar playing is heavily underrated and I feel he more than held his own with Felder and Walsh.

Also, I don't think Glenn had to do that many takes of his solos to be able to play them, that almost infers that he had trouble playing them compared to Felder, which isn't true. It's true he wanted the best for the band, but I really don't think he struggled all that much with the solos he created. I think he executed them very well and it takes a player of his more laid back style to do them exactly. Felder and Stu play all the notes in all the right places and so it sounds right, but the feel of them is different. The best way I can describe it is that it's more clinical, and doesn't have that loose feel of the original. It's too polished. Which on a song like ICTYW, isn't always the best thing. Sometimes you want something a bit "from the hip". Perfection was Glenn's thing in the Eagles, but his guitar style exuded more rawness than that of Don Felder.
    As I said before, we don’t know how many takes Glenn needed to record his solos. Maybe not many. But b/c Glenn was a perfectionist, I can imagine him doing multiple takes before getting it just right according to his own standards. It was the same for his vocals. He recorded multiple takes of Lyin Eyes and Bill S. even put different parts together just for the word “city.” This doesn’t mean he was a sub-par vocalist. OTOH, playing lead guitar was Felder’s specialty and he could learn to play something live fairly quickly due to his some of his experiences pre-Eagles.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    As I said before, we don’t know how many takes Glenn needed to record his solos. Maybe not many. But b/c Glenn was a perfectionist, I can imagine him doing multiple takes before getting it just right according to his own standards. It was the same for his vocals. He recorded multiple takes of Lyin Eyes and Bill S. even put different parts together just for the word “city.” This doesn’t mean he was a sub-par vocalist. OTOH, playing lead guitar was Felder’s specialty and he could learn to play something live fairly quickly due to his some of his experiences pre-Eagles.
    IMO, all of the Eagles guitarists were on the same level of greatness in guitar playing. Their styles are what set them apart, but not better or worse.

Glenn and Joe are more raw, fly by the seat of their pants players, and Don is more fluid and precise. As a guitarist myself, I often get into arguments with other players who think technical guitar players or those that are very theory-intensive are better than those who have a more by ear, bluesy style who play with the less-is-more philosophy. To me there is no one guitarist that is better than the other, but one might prefer the style of a technical schooled player who has almost surgeon-like precision, and one (like me) might prefer the style of someone who isn't a schooled player but has an almost B.B. King-like feel and rawness to their style that is unpolished, in a good way. Neither approach is wrong, but I do prefer more of a raw "devil-may-care" style. I listen to both regularly but I think more loose guitar playing is great.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I see Austin got what I meant. I'm not complaining - at least didn't mean to - that Don played the part live as well. Sounds fine to me. What I'm saying is that it's not like Don didn't have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I see Austin got what I meant. I'm not complaining - at least didn't mean to - that Don played the part live as well. Sounds fine to me. What I'm saying is that it's not like Don didn't have a choice.
    I agree.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Another Don Felder TV appearance

Maybe this topic should have its own separate thread, since Don seems to be popping up here and there on various TV programs.

He will be taking part in a new series called Mixtape which will be aired on AXS TV starting Sept. 12.

Other appearances slated include REO Speedwagon frontman Kevin Cronin, who talks about how The Beatles’ groundbreaking performance on The Ed Sullivan Show drove him to a career in rock and performs REO Speedwagon’s unforgettable hit “Keep Pushin’” with bandmate Dave Amato; Rick Springfield, who explains how The Rolling Stones inspired him to collect obscure rock albums; Don McLean, who recalls the genius of Buddy Holly, and delivers a performance of his signature hit “American Pie”; former Eagles guitarist Don Felder, who recounts seeing Elvis Presley on The Ed Sullivan Show for the first time; The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger, who performs a rendition of “Don’t Be Cruel” with actor and musician Dennis Quaid; and multi-talented singer, songwriter, and producer Todd Rundgren.”

https://deadline.com/2019/08/mixtape...gs-1202664934/

Default Re: Another Don Felder TV appearance

It's a good idea about making a TV appearances thread, Delilah! Thanks for the heads-up, too.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Don Felder Television Appearances

A thread for when Don Felder appears on the small screen has been created and topics merged.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Don Felder Television Apperances

I don't know if this is the same series (that Delilah told us about) with a different name, but Mr. Felder is the host of a weekly series on AXS TV called "A Year in Music." This Sunday's episode will feature 1973.
    https://www.facebook.com/AXSTV/?__tn...location=group

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Well, it looks like we missed the proverbial boat on the "A Year in Music" series: I saw a post from June on DF's Facebook page (he had been inactive for several months) saying this series would premiere on July 7th! The episode that aired on August 18th was apparently Don's last; Tommy Chong will pick up the hosting duties next week.

Oh well. AXS showed some promos for Don's upcoming Mixtape series and it looks really good. Doors guitarist Robby Krieger will be a guest - hooray!!

Unfortunately I missed last night’s episode of “A Year in Music” where Don discusses 1973. The beginning of the school year gets kind of crazy. However, it’s probably a safe bet that AXS TV will re-run these at some point. It may be available On-Demand too.

NMB, the July episode about 1975 was brought up elsewhere, I think in Don’s press thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's a good idea about making a TV appearances thread, Delilah! Thanks for the heads-up, too.
    You are welcome!