Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: All-Star Songs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Eagles Song Survivor: All-Star Songs

Time for the All-Star Songs Survivor, where we vote off the winners from each Eagles album Survivor games until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview

I'm going to list all the winning songs here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you think should GO, not the one you think should stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Once the board clock strikes 8:00 pm Eastern on the second day, no more votes will be counted for that round - even if it's only seconds after. Your votes also cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you change your mind or make a mistake. Once it's on the record, that's it - so be careful!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared. The exception is the last round. If the tiebreaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

GAME OVER!

The winner of the Eagles All-Star Song Survivor is:

Take It Easy

Songs Eliminated:
    Seven Bridges Road 9/06
    Waiting in the Weeds 9/08
    One of These Nights 9/10
    Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise 9/12
    Already Gone 9/14
    Heartache Tonight 9/16
    New Kid in Town 9/18

Hope everyone enjoyed the game.

Thanks for playing!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: All-Star Songs

Wow! You're right on the dot, Dreamer!

And... this is hard... this is very hard!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I'm ready, CA. I actually had the post all prepared so all I had to do is click 'Submit' when the clock struck 8:00 p.m.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Back from a trip just in time to get going on this, pretty much the hardest of the Survivors!

However, I do know what I'm going to pick first.

I cast my vote for One of These Nights.

I've always thought, out of all the Eagles hits, this one sounds the most dated. The intro and outro both screams "song of the 70s". Of course, I love songs of the 70s, but still - the other songs are more timeless in their appeal.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

I vote for "One Of These Nights." In a list of what are all great songs, this is my least favorite.

As someone who loves classic rock and 70s music, and thinks new rock music sucks (lol), I LOVE One Of These Nights. It really was a sign of the Eagles moving in the right direction by dropping the whole country thing and moving into rock music. Along with Already Gone, if it weren't for the changes made that started with those two songs, I wouldn't be a fan today if they had kept going with Bernie and just stayed a country-rock vocal outfit. If they hadn't made One Of These Nights, Hotel California, and The Long Run, I wouldn't be a fan. I'm just very much against the Desperado-era sound and the early Eagles. To me this song defines their shift in sound and I will do everything I can to save it. It just shouldn't go yet, IMO. I'm sure my vote won't surprise anyone who knows how much I hate classic/traditional country music.

So, without any hesitation whatsoever, I vote for:

Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I cast my vote for One of These Nights.

I've always thought, out of all the Eagles hits, this one sounds the most dated. The intro and outro both screams "song of the 70s". Of course, I love songs of the 70s, but still - the other songs are more timeless in their appeal.
    I understand why some believe OOTN has a dated sound, with the 70s-style R&B and disco beat. But IMO, Heartache Tonight sounds even more dated. Dance music is very popular these days and OOTN fits that profile more than HT with it’s old-style RnR vibe.

As as far as being timeless, OOTN seems to make the top 10, if not the top 5, of just about every Best of Eagles song list that I’ve seen. I’ve rarely seen HT crack the top 10. Also, OOTN has more streams than HT:

Youtube - OOTN 340,136 views; HT 190,923 views (both from the 2013 Very Best of Eagles album)

Spotify - OOTN listed at #4 with 78,899,876 streams; HC- Live at the Forum 1976 listed at #5 with 31,655,924 streams

I don’t know where HT ranks (it only lists what are presumably are the top 5 songs), but it appears to have less streams than #5 HC.

I’m not sure what to vote for yet, but I definitely believe the excellent OOTN with its incredible vocals, electrifying guitar solo, and riveting bass line deserves to to stick around for awhile.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Troubadour

I can split this very clearly into three songs I don't care for and five I can't put a cigarette paper between.

So, to get the ball rolling, I vote for Already Gone. Felder and Frey have a decent semi-harmonised guitar solo. Nowt else memorable about it.