Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eagles to take Hotel California on the road in 2020

Default Re: Eagles to take Hotel California on the road in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Even if Deacon and Otis did something questionable, I don't think we could say that Glenn did something wrong as a parent. Also, I don't think we can assume that their motives must always be pure, because Glenn was their father.
    Seriously. Deacon will be 30 in a few years.... and we're still talking about his actions in terms of Glenn's parenting??

Niall Horan is the same age as Deacon. If I went to a One Direction board and criticized something Niall has posted on social media, I wonder how many fans would accuse me of maligning the parenting skills of Niall's father? Or talk about how it was such a shame that anyone would criticize the son of Bobby* Horan?

Deacon is a grown man, and he has been for some time. Judge him on his own merits, and by his own actions.

*I looked up his dad's name - thanks Wikipedia

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

It's a good job that I was sat down when I first read this thread. I didn't see this coming. Not at all. Nope. Completely out the blue. Possibly the biggest shock I've had since discovering the Pope is a Catholic.

Two original members, one of who has practically abandoned every duty other than singing, and the other who spends half the time as one of several dozen rhythm guitarists; backed by an array of Johnny Come Latelys and a choir, despite being renowned for some of the best harmonies in their entire genre. What can I say that I and several others haven't said already a million times or more?

Don Henley has now seen his First Act, Second Act, Third Act and now some baseball analogy as an Eagle. Perhaps to continue to sports metaphors he will one day end up on his seventh or eighth replay like we used to have in football matches over here.

Just to clarify my Glenn parenting comment a bit more, Deacon is older and he is certainly his own man. However he is taking the role of his father. His interests in music and how to act in my opinion probably stem heavily from his father. His current role is completely tied to his dad, so I feel Glenn’s parenting comes up to play a lot more than other things in his life. He had watched how his dad acted in that role for years and I just felt that if he was to take that role and do something Glenn wouldn’t have done, it would have meant Glenn’s example as a dad must not have been strong enough.Like I said previously, Glenn couldn’t have done everything to prevent his kids from doing bad things because they are individuals with their own decisions, so I backtrack from it a bit but I believe there would definitely be a disconnect between which Glenn was and who his kids are. Also, I believe what deacon and Otis are doing is well intentioned and not meant to trick people. That part is debatable but that’s just my view. I think they value their dad’s legacy and memory a lot. I believe if deacon was to do all this knowing it was a cash grab and that it would diminish his dad’s legacy, it would mean he simply didn’t care about his father as much as one would hope or expect. I wouldn’t say that is Glenn’s fault for that but his character would definitely not be present in his kids. I hope this clears things up.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Seriously. Deacon will be 30 in a few years.... and we're still talking about his actions in terms of Glenn's parenting??

Niall Horan is the same age as Deacon. If I went to a One Direction board and criticized something Niall has posted on social media, I wonder how many fans would accuse me of maligning the parenting skills of Niall's father? Or talk about how it was such a shame that anyone would criticize the son of Bobby* Horan?

Deacon is a grown man, and he has been for some time. Judge him on his own merits, and by his own actions.

*I looked up his dad's name - thanks Wikipedia
    I agree wholeheartedly Soda.

I'm not directing this at YEF as he hasn't said this, but there have been posts here on the Border since 3.0 has happened that Deacon is a "Baby Eagle" and that he somehow needs people to defend him or protect him. That honestly makes me want to gag. He's a grown man for christ sakes! How about saving your energy for a group that needs your activism, advocation, and protection. It certainly isn't a celebrities' son who's decided to try to step in his father's rather large loafers. He's not in some minority or endangered child or animal. If people would dedicate that energy to animals and children in need, that would be great.

To make a direct comparison, Glenn was already participating in 3E parties and living the full on rock and roll lifestyle by Deacon's age. I don't think he needed any mother/father hens protecting him then. So Deacon is no different. Just look at his Instagram. He's very clearly an adult who partakes in adult activities. He doesn't need any protection or guardians. His mother is the only one who needs to worry about that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    It's a good job that I was sat down when I first read this thread. I didn't see this coming. Not at all. Nope. Completely out the blue. Possibly the biggest shock I've had since discovering the Pope is a Catholic.

Two original members, one of who has practically abandoned every duty other than singing, and the other who spends half the time as one of several dozen rhythm guitarists; backed by an array of Johnny Come Latelys and a choir, despite being renowned for some of the best harmonies in their entire genre. What can I say that I and several others haven't said already a million times or more?

Don Henley has now seen his First Act, Second Act, Third Act and now some baseball analogy as an Eagle. Perhaps to continue to sports metaphors he will one day end up on his seventh or eighth replay like we used to have in football matches over here.
    Agreed, TLR.

It's like a football game that goes on and on and on, it gets to be like a broken record. Just someone forfeit and call it good already! I feel the same way about sports. 4x overtime rounds?! Shoot me now.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Just to clarify my Glenn parenting comment a bit more, Deacon is older and he is certainly his own man. However he is taking the role of his father. His interests in music and how to act in my opinion probably stem heavily from his father. His current role is completely tied to his dad, so I feel Glenn’s parenting comes up to play a lot more than other things in his life. He had watched how his dad acted in that role for years and I just felt that if he was to take that role and do something Glenn wouldn’t have done, it would have meant Glenn’s example as a dad must not have been strong enough.Like I said previously, Glenn couldn’t have done everything to prevent his kids from doing bad things because they are individuals with their own decisions, so I backtrack from it a bit but I believe there would definitely be a disconnect between which Glenn was and who his kids are. Also, I believe what deacon and Otis are doing is well intentioned and not meant to trick people. That part is debatable but that’s just my view. I think they value their dad’s legacy and memory a lot. I believe if deacon was to do all this knowing it was a cash grab and that it would diminish his dad’s legacy, it would mean he simply didn’t care about his father as much as one would hope or expect. I wouldn’t say that is Glenn’s fault for that but his character would definitely not be present in his kids. I hope this clears things up.
    There was no way for Glenn to prepare Deacon for taking this on, YEF. At the simplest point - he never thought it would happen. And while it's true Glenn's health was declining, he never felt like he had to get his son ready to take over. And by the time Glenn was very ill, he wasn't going to be preparing Deacon for anything. It was a sudden shock. The best parents in the world couldn't prepare him for that. And it was never going to be discussed. It just wasn't something Glenn imagined. And that has been my point from day one. This idea of Deacon taking over after Glenn was never a thought in Glenn's mind. And I don't think Glenn would have wanted that for Deacon. It would have been so hard to try to stand in his shoes. I think Glenn would have known it would not have been easy. Glenn would have just ended the band, IMO.

As far as Deacon's music interests, while I think Glenn's musical talents, guitar, and his career were an influence on Deacon, I think their tastes in music were wildly different. Deacon from everything I've read, seen, and heard was not into classic rock music for himself. He did some shows with his Dad and they did some of that, but Deacon doing what Deacon wanted, it was all about hiphop, rap, EDM, and the type of music that millennials his age listen to. He was more into Drake than The Who. I think Deacon has respect for that music, but it wasn't what he listened to and played in his own time. For awhile he had a Soundcloud where he shared electronic music/hiphop he was working on. It showed that he and his father had very different tastes in music. And although he likely respects the Eagles type of music, I'd have to think it would be a bit boring to play it all of the time. It's not like the Eagles 3.0 band is going to start doing Kendrick Lamar covers (thank god!) at Deacon's request. I think he would probably get tired of it.

I've stated a few times I would support whatever new venture Deacon went in. Even though I cannot stand rap music or that culture, I would buy his album just to support him. Would I listen to it more than once, probably not. Kind of like how I felt about buying Glenn's After Hours album. I bought it to show my support, listened once or twice, and that's it. It's not in my rotation. Jazz/standards music bores me to death.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I'm a little behind here, but here are my thoughts, which will surprise no one ...

Although I am so ready for them to call it quits, my disapproval is not so much that the band will continue to tour next year – I fully expected that. My disgust and disappointment is still that they continued to tour at all after Glenn’s death.

Acceptance of bands touring without the core members who created the music responsible for their success is a relatively new phenomenon. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin ceased to exist as functioning bands once the original members were no longer intact. And although there was always discussion and debate about these bands reforming, it was widely accepted and expected that they would not. It took years for Journey to decide to replace Steve Perry and Queen to replace Freddie Mercury - and those bands were in their prime when they lost their frontmen. On the other hand, The Rolling Stones and The Who survived well into the millennium because their core creative forces remained intact. It is indisputable that all remaining Eagles proclaimed the end of the band when Glenn died. You don’t have to look any farther than this site to see that fans overwhelmingly felt the same way. It was just what most everyone expected and assumed, especially since the band was already in the twilight of their career. However, there has definitely been a change in attitudes over past few years as more and more, the public is willing to fork out huge sums of money to see what, IMO, are nothing more than glorified cover bands. Now, I will be the first to say that everyone has a right to spend their hard-earned cash however they want, but, being old school, I’m personally not even remotely interested.

Now, as far as folks here putting words in Don’s mouth, I would love to see some examples of this. Most of the discussion I’ve seen on this board use Don’s own words when launching criticism at him. To be fair, the band has been hinting at quitting at various times since the end of the first Hell Freezes Over tour in the late 90’s. Whether this is a marketing ploy or not is anybody’s guess, but I am inclined to think it is, which is why I always adopted the attitude “I’ll believe it when I see it”. They even joked about it themselves when they named the Farewell I tour and I fell for the line myself. But, everything changed when Glenn died ... or so we thought. Don does often show symptoms of the ‘foot-in-mouth’ disease and, quite honestly, I take much of what he says anymore with a grain of salt. I remember that soon after Glenn’s death, he made a very similar statement about wanting to spend more time with his kids, and then, within a month or so, the Classic East/West shows were announced. I will acknowledge that Don’s flawed and disingenuous attempts at justifying his decisions over the last few years have caused me to question his integrity. With Don, there seems to be a fine line between forthright honesty and deceitful hypocrisy.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well - I'm a little behind here, but here are my thoughts, which will surprise no one ...

Although I am so ready for them to call it quits, my disapproval is not so much that the band will continue to tour next year – I fully expected that. My disgust and disappointment is still that they continued to tour at all after Glenn’s death.

Acceptance of bands touring without the core members who created the music responsible for their success is a relatively new phenomenon. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin ceased to exist as functioning bands once the original members were no longer intact. And although there was always discussion and debate about these bands reforming, it was widely accepted and expected that they would not. It took years for Journey to decide to replace Steve Perry and Queen to replace Freddie Mercury - and those bands were in their prime when they lost their frontmen. On the other hand, The Rolling Stones and The Who survived well into the millennium because their core creative forces remained intact. It is indisputable that all remaining Eagles proclaimed the end of the band when Glenn died. You don’t have to look any farther than this site to see that fans overwhelmingly felt the same way. It was just what most everyone expected and assumed, especially since the band was already in the twilight of their career. However, there has definitely been a change in attitudes over past few years as more and more, the public is willing to fork out huge sums of money to see what, IMO, are nothing more than glorified cover bands. Now, I will be the first to say that everyone has a right to spend their hard-earned cash however they want, but, being old school, I’m personally not even remotely interested.

Now, as far as folks here putting words in Don’s mouth, I would love to see some examples of this. Most of the discussion I’ve seen on this board use Don’s own words when launching criticism at him. To be fair, the band has been hinting at quitting at various times since the end of the first Hell Freezes Over tour in the late 90’s. Whether this is a marketing ploy or not is anybody’s guess, but I am inclined to think it is, which is why I always adopted the attitude “I’ll believe it when I see it”. They even joked about it themselves when they named the Farewell I tour and I fell for the line myself. But, everything changed when Glenn died ... or so we thought. Don does often show symptoms of the ‘foot-in-mouth’ disease and, quite honestly, I take much of what he says anymore with a grain of salt. I remember that soon after Glenn’s death, he made a very similar statement about wanting to spend more time with his kids, and then, within a month or so, the Classic East/West shows were announced. I will acknowledge that Don’s flawed and disingenuous attempts at justifying his decisions over the last few years have caused me to question his integrity. With Don, there seems to be a fine line between forthright honesty and deceitful hypocrisy.
    I could not have said it better myself Dreamer !

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

Very well stated Dreamer!

I'm glad there are at least some of us who can see right through him. He uses the same lines every time. But hey, it must work - there are people who believe him. Don Henley and integrity is like oil and water.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Well, everyone around here knows how I feel, but I do want to add that I understand that every fan has to make his or her own decision about this.

If someone here does decide to go to one of these shows, I hope they enjoy it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten