Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eagles to take Hotel California on the road in 2020

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles to take Hotel California on the road in 2020

Seems to me that the only hesitation there may have been at some point was only concern for what people might think. "Oh you think this is ok? Well good, 'cause so do we actually. We weren't sure about you."

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Seems to me that the only hesitation there may have been at some point was only concern for what people might think. "Oh you think this is ok? Well good, 'cause so do we actually. We weren't sure about you."
    Oh, 110% Chaim. You are spot freaking on. It was never "should we do this?!". It was always a matter of "can we do this and pull the wool over the eyes of some who might buy our tickets?". It wasn't about doing the right thing or about how it would look or about how wrong it was to do it. It was "if we can put butts in seats, we are doing it shamelessly and screw the (potentially hardcore) fans who happen to not like it!".

You hit the nail on the proverbial head and absolutely IMO captured the essence of their attitude about it. "Well we think it's more than ok, so the fact that some of you will pay us regardless of who is up there or not is just a bonus". The nerve, I tell you! I'll give ol' Henley credit. He's got intestinal fortitude. It's for all the wrong reasons, but I won't take that away from him. Nothing seems to stop him from doing what he sets out to do, for whatever reason. Good, bad, or indifferent. Morals or no morals. Thought out or impulsively. He's going to do it and to hell with the naysayers as long as there are a part of the fanbase that will show up. I think he's pretty sharp and I think even he knows that it just looks desperate to make these "come see us now before you can't anymore" statements year after year. Again, I give him props for at least sticking to his guns. He might be wishy-washy with what he says, but he is more than consistent with his actions. Actions speak louder than words Don. But I think it is in fact time for him to give up trying to fool people into thinking that it's their last hoorah. Just own it Don. Say yep this is us - we don't care that Glenn is not in the band, we don't care about what some fans think, we are going to do this and if there is 1 ticket sold, then I'm affirmed and I must be in the right, right?! This is us and we will tour until we're decrepit. I wish that it would have backfired on him. It hasn't been as lucrative as the tours in recent years with Glenn, but they are still unfortunately at least selling some tickets. Other than Vegas, no real selling out every venue, but there has been more people going to these Eagles-lite shows than I would like, honestly.

All that being said, he doesn't need to try to make statements about their impending retirement anymore. It will happen only because Don physically or mentally cannot perform anymore. And I don't mean just to a high standard. I mean as long as he can be up there and going through the motions, he will continue to do so and some fans who aren't bothered by it all will probably come. It may not be a lot, but I think at this point something is everything to Don and Co. And if Deacon is rethinking his decision to stop touring with 3.0, he's probably being handsomely rewarded too for his participation. Probably IMO even more than Vince Gill, even though Vince is more experienced. I think Vince just does it because it's just another gig, another paycheck, and another way for him to get exposure to people who may not be country folk. Even at his age, the more exposure you can get for your music and your artistry, the better. I'm sure he's eating it up. Still, it's just disappointing. I guess if there was a word to describe my thoughts on everything 3.0 it would be disappointed. But there is a spectrum of disappointment I think. Just saying I'm disappointed is like saying water is just a little wet. I feel I have to follow it up by saying I'm extremely disappointed at the furthest end of the disappointment spectrum. 10 out of 10 level disappointment. With all of them. Don, Joe, Tim, etc. And I'm disappointed in Deacon, to a lesser degree, but I feel like this was a wrong choice to not break free from the Eagles and try to forge your own destiny and perhaps do something that can actually be considered in the ballpark of greatness as to what your Dad did. It would be unlikely, but in his own venture he wouldn't have anything but my full support regardless of my taste in music or art or whatever he might choose to do with his young life. I'm not disappointed with Vince. Vince just took an easy opportunity and banked on it. It still upsets me when he did those interviews where he seemed all too giddy to try to take the place of an "old friend", but really he's just doing what's best for Vince Gill. That's all.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I never got to see them live in any aspect. Life interfered in some way or another,work, kids, and ticket prices etc. I would have loved to see them with Glenn and I kick myself all the time. Its becoming a reality that I never will.....Just watch on tv and have the best seat i guess ....told the kids don't make the same mistakes I did, you want to see a band in concert make it happen, you'll regret not going. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    The tour just went up on the web site (wasn't there when I posted the Billboard article).

https://www.eagles.com/
    This was announced on the radio yesterday. The two Houston shows were called a “Houston residency” which I thought was kind of funny.

Not sure if I want to go yet. I am tempted to hear them perform TALA because it’s been so rare and hearing the whole HC album in sequence is also pretty special. At least the Houston concert will not be at Minute Maid Park. Hopefully they won’t charge Las Vegas prices.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    There was hesitation about that at the beginning...but now it seems any hesitation they may have is based on whether or not there is still an audience who wants to hear their music. Since the answer continues to be “yes” they keep keeping on. At this point it looks like age or health will be the deciding factor for when they stop completely.

It’s nice to hear Henley talk about spending time with his grandson. That does help put some of this on-going touring stuff into perspective, given what happened to Tom Petty.

I think words are being put in Henley’s mouth. I could be wrong but since the classic concerts, I don’t think he ever said it was the end. He just said it’s near the end and he doesn’t really know what’s going to happen. They are wait and see mode at this point. I don’t think it’s fair at all to think deacon and Otis are onto to some evil tricks now to promote the tour. The tour doesn’t need promoting and not many people are seeing Otis and deacons post. Most eagles fans aren’t tuned into what they are saying. Unless you are on here or follow their accounts, you wouldn’t know about it. That’s not many people and barely any are attending the concerts. I can understand not liking don and his ways, but it’s an insult to Glenn’s parenting in my opinion to insinuate they would do that. I don’t really see this recent tour extension as anything different. Since they went again they’ve at every step of the way, done the same thing. Do a couple test shows, see the market and then take it out to the country. This band doesn’t need or rely on tricks to get people to show up. From my experience I think they sound good and the people that show up think so too. I don’t think it’s fair to say the band is doing this at the expense of their performance. They don’t sound as good as they did 20 years ago but that’s true of every band and I think the current show is up to their standards. I understand the concern about not having many or the crucial members of a lineup. The fact of the matter is though, if Glenn were still around and he did this, they wouldn’t be much further along. NKIT would be more legitimate but the backup vocals would still be off and the lead guitar parts from Felder wouldn’t be his. I don’t think Glenn’s absence outside of NKIT, is really a difference maker. I don’t see the eagles continuation with a key member as being particularly unique and it’s quite common on the rock scene. Both now and in the past. I’m not trying to bring up old conversations but I feel with new updates warrants more conversation
    Last edited by YoungEaglesFan; 10-09-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I think words are being put in Henley’s mouth. I could be wrong but since the classic concerts, I don’t think he ever said it was the end. He just said it’s near the end and he doesn’t really know what’s going to happen. They are wait and see mode at this point. I don’t think it’s fair at all to think deacon and Otis are onto to some evil tricks now to promote the tour. The tour doesn’t need promoting and not many people are seeing Otis and deacons post. Most eagles fans aren’t tuned into what they are saying. Unless you are on here or follow their accounts, you wouldn’t know about it. That’s not many people and barely any are attending the concerts. I can understand not liking don and his ways, but it’s an insult to Glenn’s parenting in my opinion to insinuate they would do that. I don’t really see this recent tour extension as anything different. Since they went again they’ve at every step of the way, done the same thing. Do a couple test shows, see the market and then take it out to the country. This band doesn’t need or rely on tricks to get people to show up. From my experience I think they sound good and the people that show up think so too. I don’t think it’s fair to say the band is doing this at the expense of their performance. They don’t sound as good as they did 20 years ago but that’s true of every band and I think the current show is up to their standards. I understand the concern about not having many or the crucial members of a lineup. The fact of the matter is though, if Glenn were still around and he did this, they wouldn’t be much further along. NKIT would be more legitimate but the backup vocals would still be off and the lead guitar parts from Felder wouldn’t be his. I don’t think Glenn’s absence outside of NKIT, is really a difference maker. I don’t see the eagles continuation with a key member as being particularly unique and it’s quite common on the rock scene. Both now and in the past. I’m not trying to bring up old conversations but I feel with new updates warrants more conversation
    A reasonable, thoughtful post!

It’s not surprising words have been put into Henley’s mouth. That’s been happening for more than 2 years now.

I am dumbfounded someone would actually accuse Deacon and Otis of evil tricks to promote the tour. Really? SMH

New, fresh conversation about the tour and concerts would be welcome.

Even if they were trying to keep prices down, the cost of touring with such a production (46 piece orchestra and 22 member choir) will be tremendous. Although plenty would like to go, I wonder if there will be enough people, (especially in cities where they have been recently), who can justify paying what these tickets will have to cost. What people are willing to spend in Vegas for what they believe is a one time event is not the same.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I’m on the road so I don’t have time to fully respond.

But let’s get something very straight right now. You are accusing me of putting words in Don’s mouth.

And you have the gall to say I said “evil tricks” were being used by Deacon and Otis. You better read my post more carefully next time before you make another mistake. I said bag of tricks. Evil wasn’t a word I used in my entire post. You called it evil.

If you are going to cast stones, you better be not guilty of the same thing or it’s highly hypocritical!

I will respond to this post in full later. But this infuriated me and I wanted to clear it up PDQ.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I’m on the road so I don’t have time to fully respond.

But let’s get something very straight right now. You are accusing me of putting words in Don’s mouth.

And you have the gall to say I said “evil tricks” were being used by Deacon and Otis. You better read my post more carefully next time before you make another mistake. I said bag of tricks. Evil wasn’t a word I used in my entire post. You called it evil.

If you are going to cast stones, you better be not guilty of the same thing or it’s highly hypocritical!

I will respond to this post in full later. But this infuriated me and I wanted to clear it up PDQ.
    I apologize for using the word evil. In my opinion if they had done that it would have been shameful behavior so I just used evil mindlessly to describe it. I view tricking the public as pretty bad so it wasn’t a huge step in my mind. I understand how it could and does mischaracterize what you said.