Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eagles to take Hotel California on the road in 2020

Default Re: Eagles to take Hotel California on the road in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I apologize for using the word evil. In my opinion if they had done that it would have been shameful behavior so I just used evil mindlessly to describe it. I view tricking the public as pretty bad so it wasn’t a huge step in my mind. I understand how it could and does mischaracterize what you said.
    Now that I'm home and can write more, I wanted to re-respond to this because it touches on something that I'm personally very interested by.

I thought that your take on public trickery was interesting and one of innocence, sensitivity, and care.

I would love to feel that way about matters such as this but in 2019, it is so commonplace to see someone try to trick their fellow human beings to take advantage of them for their own gain. If it isn't your politicians, it's evangelicals, if not them, it's the healthcare situation, if not that, it's the business who's product you are buying, if not them it's your caretakers of the elderly, etc. It seems like snake oil used car salesmen have taken over the ethics and now it's suddenly ok to manipulate others for personal gain. Use and abuse, use and abuse. Me first, forget anyone else. Every man for himself. Stand on you to reach the top. Heck, just watch videos of people being trampled on Black Friday. The day after THANKSGIVING. The day we are supposed to be generous, kind, grateful, give back, etc. In 24 hours we are back at it to get the last TV at Best Buy. They run through the doors like the gates opening at the Kentucky Derby. Tromp, tromp, tromp. Move, move, move. Oh, sorry did I just step on you and brake your leg? Darn. Got my TV! Oh you died? Darn. Still got that shiny new big screen! It's just so wrong. The day after giving thanks we are back to whats best for me and screw everyone else. Humanity is at an all time low and getting worse.

It's sad YEF, but I've become desensitized to it. It's like these horrific shootings and murders. There has been so many in recent times that the shock value is decreased when we hear of it. We all say our prayers and post that we are thinking of whatever city it happens in, and we move on. Only if you were affected by it does it stick with you. We have become desensitized to cruelty, fraud, terrorism, all of it. When we turn on our TV's and hear there has been another mass casualty, we hang our heads for a bit and move on. Or we may just say "Ugh again?!". I remember when 9/11 happened. It was a huge tragedy that was on everyone's minds for a long time even if they weren't affected. On that day we weren't democrats, republicans, atheist, christian, heterosexual, homosexual, white, black. We banded together as people. If you tell someone you miss 9/11 you will be looked at like the devil. I don't miss those feelings and that heartbreak. But I DO miss the feeling that we got back to being people and we put our differences aside and grieved.

I'm so glad that you are still sensitive to that and I commend you for it. You aren't tainted by the world yet. Stay that way. Don't become indifferent to it. Unfortunately for me it has happened so much to me, my family and friends, and the world at large that it just doesn't provoke a big response in me personally anymore. It doesn't shock me or get a huge rise out of me when I hear that someone hurt someone else. And that should never have been the case. You know humanity is in dire times when you aren't surprised to hear of tragedy or that you are unaffected by someone you know getting scammed, used, etc or a shooting.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    All I can say is money talks, even to millionaires evidently! I guess Don needs to put some away for that grandson! As if he isn't already set for life!

Deacon might want some for himself, but I'm sure Glenn took good care of his kids already too!
    That's my position on it too Brooke.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Anyone want to take a bet on the likelihood of this happening?
    The likelihood of that happening is likely to happen when Don Henley finds his morals. Not gonna happen.

I think they will lower ticket prices when that's the only way to sell tickets.

If you got the money, they got the time. And when it starts looking bad on paper to Irving, they might change their tune.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... er, you weren't serious, were you?
    I got a chuckle too, CA.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    It’s a fair criticism, I didn’t mean to make it seem like I was angry or anything, I just thought what Don was saying had been misconstrued. Unless he made statement I wasn’t aware of, which is possible
    I tried to explain it better in my big response to your original post.

And as I said, apology accepted.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I thought your response was thoughtful and fair Walshfan. I don’t really see much of a need to respond as either you made points I agreed with or I felt that the difference in opinion was a value or philosophy difference in which case responding to it doesn’t usually lead to much.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Now that I'm home and can write more, I wanted to re-respond to this because it touches on something that I'm personally very interested by.

I thought that your take on public trickery was interesting and one of innocence, sensitivity, and care.

I would love to feel that way about matters such as this but in 2019, it is so commonplace to see someone try to trick their fellow human beings to take advantage of them for their own gain. If it isn't your politicians, it's evangelicals, if not them, it's the healthcare situation, if not that, it's the business who's product you are buying, if not them it's your caretakers of the elderly, etc. It seems like snake oil used car salesmen have taken over the ethics and now it's suddenly ok to manipulate others for personal gain. Use and abuse, use and abuse. Me first, forget anyone else. Every man for himself. Stand on you to reach the top. Heck, just watch videos of people being trampled on Black Friday. The day after THANKSGIVING. The day we are supposed to be generous, kind, grateful, give back, etc. In 24 hours we are back at it to get the last TV at Best Buy. They run through the doors like the gates opening at the Kentucky Derby. Tromp, tromp, tromp. Move, move, move. Oh, sorry did I just step on you and brake your leg? Darn. Got my TV! Oh you died? Darn. Still got that shiny new big screen! It's just so wrong. The day after giving thanks we are back to whats best for me and screw everyone else. Humanity is at an all time low and getting worse.

It's sad YEF, but I've become desensitized to it. It's like these horrific shootings and murders. There has been so many in recent times that the shock value is decreased when we hear of it. We all say our prayers and post that we are thinking of whatever city it happens in, and we move on. Only if you were affected by it does it stick with you. We have become desensitized to cruelty, fraud, terrorism, all of it. When we turn on our TV's and hear there has been another mass casualty, we hang our heads for a bit and move on. Or we may just say "Ugh again?!". I remember when 9/11 happened. It was a huge tragedy that was on everyone's minds for a long time even if they weren't affected. On that day we weren't democrats, republicans, atheist, christian, heterosexual, homosexual, white, black. We banded together as people. If you tell someone you miss 9/11 you will be looked at like the devil. I don't miss those feelings and that heartbreak. But I DO miss the feeling that we got back to being people and we put our differences aside and grieved.

I'm so glad that you are still sensitive to that and I commend you for it. You aren't tainted by the world yet. Stay that way. Don't become indifferent to it. Unfortunately for me it has happened so much to me, my family and friends, and the world at large that it just doesn't provoke a big response in me personally anymore. It doesn't shock me or get a huge rise out of me when I hear that someone hurt someone else. And that should never have been the case. You know humanity is in dire times when you aren't surprised to hear of tragedy or that you are unaffected by someone you know getting scammed, used, etc or a shooting.
    I totally get where you are coming, I personally don’t try to think about it and kinda just tune it out so I try not to view in that way. I haven’t see as much in my lifetime as you have so I’m sure that’s a factor. To clarify I dont think public trickery is as evil as other things but I it’s not something I would be really okay with so I see it being quite wrong. The world is definitely not where it should or could be unfortunately.

The only thing I would like to clarify is that I see Deacon and Otis as acting in a way they believe to be good. I don’t think they’re poorly intentioned. I could see the argument that they have been mislead or even lied to but I think they genuinely believe they are doing something that’s okay. So when I say the Glenn parenting thing, I just think his standards would be passed on to them and I think he must have failed if they were to not uphold those standards. Though in hindsight, I’m not sure how much he could have prepped them for this situation with all this pressure, fame and wealth. So I’ll concede I could be wrong there but I’m not really sure what they are thinking

Stuck on the Border

Even if Deacon and Otis did something questionable, I don't think we could say that Glenn did something wrong as a parent. Also, I don't think we can assume that their motives must always be pure, because Glenn was their father. Personally I don't have much of an opinion about their social media actions concerning the Eagles because I haven't witnessed it, but I understand what Austin says about it very well - with the examples he's given.

In case anyone is interested Jimmy Koplik was on Wplr in CT yesterday discussing the tour. Starts at 13:13, takes a bit to start after hit play, he expects more dates added to cities already announced.

https://www.wplr.com/2019/10/09/podc...r-norm-pattis/