Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2020 Rock Hall of Fame Nominees Announced

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: 2020 Rock Hall of Fame Nominees Announced

Quite honestly - I am underwhelmed by the Class of 2020.

However, I am glad to see The Doobie Brothers finally get in. As far as Whitney Houston, I think she deserves it considering that many other pop artists have been inducted before her. I also think Pat Benetar will eventually get in. I get what people are saying about all the different genres that aren't pure rock and roll that get in, but, TBH, it has always been that way. I would argue that these other genres influence rock and roll artists or are influenced by rock and roll artists. Also, you have to account for the evolution of music - what was considered rock and roll in its infancy is only remotely similar to what is considered rock and roll by today's standards. I believe it will always be that way. I am personally not a fan of hip hop or rap either, no more than I am I a fan of heavy metal, but I do appreciate the artistry of the different genres. I wonder what rock and roll will look like 30 years from now?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Quite honestly - I am underwhelmed by the Class of 2020.

However, I am glad to see The Doobie Brothers finally get in. As far as Whitney Houston, I think she deserves it considering that many other pop artists have been inducted before her. I also think Pat Benetar will eventually get in. I get what people are saying about all the different genres that aren't pure rock and roll that get in, but, TBH, it has always been that way. I would argue that these other genres influence rock and roll artists or are influenced by rock and roll artists. Also, you have to account for the evolution of music - what was considered rock and roll in its infancy is only remotely similar to what is considered rock and roll by today's standards. I believe it will always be that way. I am personally not a fan of hip hop or rap either, no more than I am I a fan of heavy metal, but I do appreciate the artistry of the different genres. I wonder what rock and roll will look like 30 years from now?
    This is nothing new, I agree. But it still bothers me and is one of the reasons I and many others think its a sham...

We could debate about if rap is music, but it would be a long-winded one. To me there isn't much art in rhythmically repeating senseless lines and curse words and blunt sexual profanity to drum machines and a DJ scratching records. There is no double entendre or innuendo, no subtlety. Not to mention a lot of it promotes abuse and use of many things, and it just seems like a bad culture to be in. Especially gangsta rap.

I think Whitney Houston, on the other hand, is infinitely more respectable. She has actual talent and while it still isn't fit for the rock hall, RNB and soul music has a deep connection to rock n' roll just as much as blues. Just like how jazz and classical has deeply influenced country and folk music. And I cannot stand those, so maybe thats why I'm not a fan of most country music. But I LOVE Motown, Stax, etc RNB music.

You couldn't be more right about the fact about "rock n' roll" being so much different now. To me modern rock has lost the "roll" in rock and roll. The groove, swagger, and all of that is gone. There are artists that break the mold, like Greta Van Fleet, Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown, etc, but most of it now is just not my thing at all. I recently saw an interview on YT with one of the guitarists from Buckcherry (Keith Nelson) talking about the "roll" of rock and roll missing in modern rock music. A lot of it is either noise-rock/post-rock stuff, or just straight up modern metal with cookie monster voices and guitars tuned as low as they can get them without the strings falling off, creating a low deep graveling sound to match the vocals. Bands like Slipknot, Korn, etc pioneered that sound and I absolutely hate it. Metallica is a guilty pleasure of mine, but at least there was musicality and melodic senses to their music. You can hear the lyrics, the guitars while big sounding are more old school. That's metal music I can respect. Not the Slipknot type of bands.

And that's fine, they can exist too, but it's just rock music, not rock and roll to me. It's dramatically different than classic rock. And it's not my thing. Other than blues and RNB music, I really only like classic rock and genres that sound like it like modern country (although it's gone electronic which I'm not happy about), etc. I like 60s/70s/80s rock. Not a 90s grunge guy, not a modern rock or post-rock guy. Not necessarily a huge Elvis or Buddy Holly 50s rock fan although I respect them greatly. I love a lot of British rock bands from the invasion and the bands who they influenced. I like the old school rock n' roll sound. I love vinyl and miss the days when album art said so much and vinyl showed it big and proud. I miss MTV playing actual music videos and miss music videos period. And good live records too. I'm old school and proud.

Oh, and I hate disco. I'm sorry Mr. Billy Joel, but it's not "still rock and roll" to me. The "new sound" is just that, a new sound. I was never a big Joel fan, but I don't mind his music - except that one. lol
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 01-21-2020 at 04:32 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Well - shun posted in Don's thread that it looks as if they are going forward with the HOF induction ceremony - it will air on HBO on November 7th.

Ringo, Bruce Springsteen, and Don Henley will make guest appearances. Other guests include Nancy Wilson, Billy Idol, Billy Gibbons, Gwen Stefani, Chris Martin, Iggy Pop, Adam Levine, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys, Sean 'Diddy' Combs, Luke Bryan, Brad Paisley, Lin-Manuel Miranda, St. Vincent, and Charlize Theron.

Here is the link that shun posted:

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-...ial-guest.html

I meant to post this awhile back but it slipped my mind. This is Depeche Mode’s acceptance speech and at around the 1:00 mark they thank the Eagles (which was kind of unexpected):

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Thanks Delilah - that is a surprise ... you never know how many artists have been influenced by our Desperados.

We have to remember that the R&RHF is privately owned and the owner choses who will be nominated than it is voted on. He doesn't like Joe just like he doesn't like Motley Crew and if he doesn't like you, you don't get nominated. People or groups are not nominated by the general public or by industry people.
    Joe has all his fellow musicians who appreciate him. Look at some of those in the Hall and no longer play. Joe still performs and brings in a crowd. Other artist call him to do parts on their recordings, some half his age. LOL He could be in on his slide guitar playing alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    We have to remember that the R&RHF is privately owned and the owner choses who will be nominated than it is voted on. He doesn't like Joe just like he doesn't like Motley Crew and if he doesn't like you, you don't get nominated.
    Why do you think Wenner doesn’t like Joe? He’s in the HoF already with the Eagles.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I thought everyone likes Joe! However, there is a video clip of Joe saying that the HOF doesn’t have a good reputation among musicians because of all the deserving bands who aren’t recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Why do you think Wenner doesn’t like Joe? He’s in the HoF already with the Eagles.
    With the Eagles, not as a solo. Few years back I read where he basically just doesn't like Joe and his life as a rocker. Just like Motley Crew, too rowdy I guess. It's his HoF and he nominates who he wants.
    Joe thinks it should be more on what an artists or group has done for rock and roll, public opinion and what other artists think. I got the feeling in the article that is is more personal between Wenner and Joe. Wish I could remember where I read the article, it seems like it was online and like a magazine interview.