Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "Allnighter" vinyl store experience

Default My "Allnighter" vinyl store experience

I was recently in Florida on vacation and I stopped into a vinyl store. I've been looking for "The Allnighter" for a while now. I was going through bin after bin when I came across it.

I collected my 6 or so records and went to checkout. The guy who owns the store was ringing me up and said "you can have that Glenn Frey album for free if you'll just take it. No one wants Glenn Frey albums, no one ever asks for them, and no one ever buys them! He said "Don Henley's solo career was so much stronger and had better music. I sell his albums all the time! He was the better singer in the Eagles, too". Now to be fair the guy did have like 3 copies of The Allnighter and even a couple copies of No Fun Aloud. Which is weird because I never come across the former. Still, that's no excuse for his comments dogging Glenn!

I at first almost got testy with the guy as I've been in a mood lately, but I decided to take my free album (sticker price was 6 dollars so it's not like I saved a ton of money by staying quiet), and my other 5 and leave and just play nice. But I mean, come on dude! Yes, Don sold more records but that doesn't mean his solo music was in any way better than Glenn's! Just because someone sold a lot of records doesn't mean their music is great. Justin Bieber sold a lot of records too, and his music is terrible. Granted, Don's music IS great, but still - sales aren't the metric. And he certainly wasn't the better singer, they were equal.

I have to wonder if he must be a Don Felder fan, as most Felder fans have a bone to pick with Glenn still, which is just sad at this point to be honest. He was from Florida, and this store was in Florida. Maybe he's just a Henley fanboy. Who knows.

Of course, who am I to complain about a free album, but it was in the way that he said it. It wasn't "oh, we don't sell his music much so if you'd like a copy, just take it". It was inferred "who the hell buys Glenn Frey records, what's wrong with you?! You poor soul just take it and get it out of my store already please!" Glenn's solo music may not have sold as much, but quality wise I'd put any of Glenn's albums up against any of Don's.

I guess at the end of it all - I get a free copy of an album I've been looking for forever and I was able to show some restraint and not go into battle over defending Glenn, lol. It still irked me, though.

I played the album front to back this weekend and I love it. I think it's his best solo album, IMO. I also love the understated black cover. Same reason I love "The Long Run" album cover. Minimalism, I suppose.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: My "Allnighter" vinyl store experience

And here's a picture of the entire haul, lol.

-Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Great haul! I have 0U812 as well haha! I have quite a collection myself and remember going when I was a teen to the record store and getting excited for rare finds😊. Loved record conventions too but those are gone; used to find some great stuff. Besides that guy was a real dip. I hate when someone uses the argument that "they sold more records" to establish they are therefore a better artist. It's fine he has his own opinion but quite snarky, rude. Good job showing restraint!

At the comic con, this guy was selling reprod posters and he had an Eagles one that was pretty cool I haven't seen. Red white and blue. Pretty sure it was from 77. so I pulled it out in front as I continued to look. The guy got so pissed I did that and said "That doesn't go there!" And hurriedly grabbed it and put it in the " correct" spot. He has so upset! I didn't have the restraint you did, I said "you just lost a sale" and left wish I got that reprod though 😐. I don't understand people sometimes why alienate your buyers?

Actually, Austin, providing I'd had the restraint not to smack the dude, I'd have said, "Oh, really? Then you won't mind giving me the rest of the Glenn albums, then, right?" Or maybe, "Oh, really? Then guess what else you're not selling to me today" and just left. Wouldn't have even put the records back. It would depend on how "old pissed off lady" I felt that day.

Rude dude. I'll add my agreement with the "don't alienate your customers" idea. That seems to be running rampant lately.

WF, that guy was infuriating! I would have been sorely tempted to say something, but find in such situations it best I keep my mouth shut lest I say something I shouldn't. Not that I have ever been ashamed of my Eagles/Glenn fandom, but I usually don't mention them until I know how the person feels, just to avoid dealing with the extreme negativity that is out there. I don't understand it. I don't HATE acts that I don't care for. Some folks seem to get on that bandwagon and can't even tell you why.
    As an owner or manager, he doesn't even make sense. Obviously you liked GF, and he just alienated a customer. Not only was it rude, it was stupid!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!"

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Great haul! I have 0U812 as well haha! I have quite a collection myself and remember going when I was a teen to the record store and getting excited for rare finds😊. Loved record conventions too but those are gone; used to find some great stuff. Besides that guy was a real dip. I hate when someone uses the argument that "they sold more records" to establish they are therefore a better artist. It's fine he has his own opinion but quite snarky, rude. Good job showing restraint!

At the comic con, this guy was selling reprod posters and he had an Eagles one that was pretty cool I haven't seen. Red white and blue. Pretty sure it was from 77. so I pulled it out in front as I continued to look. The guy got so pissed I did that and said "That doesn't go there!" And hurriedly grabbed it and put it in the " correct" spot. He has so upset! I didn't have the restraint you did, I said "you just lost a sale" and left wish I got that reprod though 😐. I don't understand people sometimes why alienate your buyers?
    Yeah it's almost like some people don't want to have business.

I mean hey - if you don't want any more Glenn albums how about you just turn them down when you buy them if you are so ashamed to have them in your store.

Yeah that OU812 record is a good find. Hard to come by as it was right at the tail end of the vinyl era. Last Van Halen album you can find originally pressed on vinyl.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Actually, Austin, providing I'd had the restraint not to smack the dude, I'd have said, "Oh, really? Then you won't mind giving me the rest of the Glenn albums, then, right?" Or maybe, "Oh, really? Then guess what else you're not selling to me today" and just left. Wouldn't have even put the records back. It would depend on how "old pissed off lady" I felt that day.

Rude dude. I'll add my agreement with the "don't alienate your customers" idea. That seems to be running rampant lately.
    Oh I was tempted haha.

Problem was, the guy did have a couple albums I've been looking for forever (Rolling Stones Beggar's Banquet and Glenn Frey Allnighter) so I went ahead and bought them.

Had he not had those I would have probably just told him where to put those albums, lol.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    WF, that guy was infuriating! I would have been sorely tempted to say something, but find in such situations it best I keep my mouth shut lest I say something I shouldn't. Not that I have ever been ashamed of my Eagles/Glenn fandom, but I usually don't mention them until I know how the person feels, just to avoid dealing with the extreme negativity that is out there. I don't understand it. I don't HATE acts that I don't care for. Some folks seem to get on that bandwagon and can't even tell you why.
    As an owner or manager, he doesn't even make sense. Obviously you liked GF, and he just alienated a customer. Not only was it rude, it was stupid!
    Yeah I won't be back, needless to say.

I really think the guy just had a bone to pick with Glenn for whatever the reason. I'm just not sure why he keeps buying them if he doesn't want to sell them! I mean it's not like it was one copy he'd been setting on forever. There was at least 3 copies of The Allnighter and while it may be true they don't sell well for him, my guess is there was more to it than just that. Personally if it didn't sell well, I wouldn't restock x2!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!"
    Haha for sure.

I'd truly love to know why he disliked Glenn so much. Was he just that much of a fan of Don that he was that extremely biased, was he an upset Felder fan, did Glenn steal his girlfriend back in the day (lol), I mean something has to be the reason to go off on a tangent to a potential customer of why Glenn's music was so bad and why he in his opinion paled in comparison to Don's voice and solo career. I'd be curious.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger