Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Eagles' Albums Survivor

Default Re: Eagles' Albums Survivor

HOTEL CALIFORNIA for the win!

Border Troubadour

Desperado

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Desperado listened straight through tells a story of the brash young "outlaw man" who refused to change or settle down, and ended up alone and full of regret. Even when THEY were young Desperadoes, our guys could see where that road could lead. It's NOT a (bleeping) cowboy record! It's EPIC, with great insights...a joy to listen to on repeat! Hotel California is great--but Desperado is timeless.

DESPERADO FOR THE WIN!
    THIS IS PERFECT, FF! I couldn't have said it better! I love this album so much! I love HC too, but it doesn't compare for me.

DESPERADO FOR THE WIN!

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

To elaborate on Hotel California...

To me HC was a more well thought out and more relatable concept album to a wider range of people. More urban. I don't get into the picture like storytelling much nor am I a lyrics nerd - BUT:

I DO picture Hotel California frame by frame. I don't get that with Desperado and it's theme, but I can understand how some would as I get it with HC. Really the only song that's ever made me picture anything.

I personally resonate more with Hotel California and the 70s rock Sunset Strip excess theme than the cowboy western outlaw theme. I've never been a Clint Eastwood fan, I've never watched a Western movie, and I don't like country music (or at least the type of country that traditional/classic country music fans would call country music). I just don't get the whole wanted poster, on the run, outlaw criminal, guns and bonfires thing. I'm not an outdoorsy type. I didn't even like sports until a few years ago, well into my 20s. And now I only watch football, and I had to get into it on my own, not from my dad or anyone. When it comes to film, I'm a slapstick comedy guy who thinks Dumb and Dumber is the greatest movie of all time, lol. That's the kind of movies I like. Nothing deep, which I am that way with my music too. I like funny stuff. I don't need to ponder anything other than what my brain already does, haha. I grew up on Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey movies and I grew up with parents who listened to AC/DC (my dad) and Guns N' Roses (my mom) on repeat. We never had a country record. About as mellow as I can remember, my grandparents had an unplugged Eric Clapton CD they'd put on frequently. My parents would rather me watch a slightly "dirty" comedy movie than a scary movie. I could watch Beverly Hills Cop or Porky's, but even movies like The Mummy were strictly off limits, lol. To this day I still don't watch them. I hate suspense and I won't even watch The Walking Dead. It's pretty funny. We laugh about it now but in actuality I'm glad they were like that. You won't get nightmares from hearing a cuss word at age 12, but you will from Chucky. I convinced my grandma to take me to see American Pie at age 12. Told her it was going to be boring for her, she was gullible and bought the movie tickets and then left to go shopping before the movie started.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I vote for DESPERADO for the win!

It doesn't have a weak song on there. It's got a great thematic conceit and a fantastic mix of rockers and ballads. It's got a wonderful cinematic drama to it.

Honestly, while I like Hotel California, it's a bit overrated IMHO. Unlike Hotel California, Desperado has a good mixture of vocals from each band member, and it deserves far more attention than it gets.

I'm really jazzed Desperado has made the top two and I'd be ecstatic if it can pull off an upset!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Austin, I think the western theme was simply used as an allegory everyone is familiar with and could understand. After all, it isn't about cowboys, but a life lived on the outside. The setting could have been anywhere. And they were considered country-rock at the time.
    Personally, I will say that none of Eagles music is too rock for me, but it is about as rock as I go. While I love hot guitar work, it's meaningful lyrics and fine harmonies that drew me to them. And as a native Texan, this nature-animal-country music -lovin' rural girl loves the cowboy imagery our beautiful young rebel-rockers presented in Desperado.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

This is an excruciatingly difficult decision for me. I absolute love both of these albums so much. They are both masterpieces in their own right and I won't be too disappointed no matter what the final outcome is. However, song for song, both individually and collectively, I believe Hotel California is a notch above the rest. It is an amazingly cohesive and mature rock opera that chronicles the struggles of fame and fortune. So, even though I agree with most all of the high praise for Desperado, I have to go with the one that made the most impact ...

I cast my vote for Hotel California!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Austin, I think the western theme was simply used as an allegory everyone is familiar with and could understand. After all, it isn't about cowboys, but a life lived on the outside. The setting could have been anywhere. And they were considered country-rock at the time.
    Personally, I will say that none of Eagles music is too rock for me, but it is about as rock as I go. While I love hot guitar work, it's meaningful lyrics and fine harmonies that drew me to them. And as a native Texan, this nature-animal-country music -lovin' rural girl loves the cowboy imagery our beautiful young rebel-rockers presented in Desperado.
    That's interesting to me because I feel like the more "city like" theme of HC was more relatable to most than Desperado. Maybe not rockstar excess, but more of a city urban life. Depends on where you're from I guess but I figured there were/are more city people than country/small town people. I could see where a country fan would prefer Desperado full out. I'm just not into that kind of country. While I'd certainly call them country-rock starting with On The Border, the first two albums are far more country than rock with the exceptions of Witchy Woman and Out Of Control. By the time of HC, it was just straight classic rock.

And it's funny because I'm just the opposite. The harmonies and lyrics aren't why I like them so much. It was the interplay of Walsh/Felder and then Walsh/Smith that did it for me. Again, I just don't get into thought-provoking stuff too much and even though the Eagles didn't have much of it - I won't listen to depressing self-loathing music like Nirvana. I guess The Sad Cafe fits, but I'm glad they didn't get that way. I'm very metro despite living in the country the majority of my life. I love southern rock, but I've never hunted deer or shot a gun or went mudding or any of that. I do like to fish occasionally, but that's as outdoorsy as I get. I'd rather be inside watching TV, on the computer, or more likely - playing guitar either at home or on a stage. I've never been a nature person and I get sensitive to the temps. I get too hot in the summer and my joints hurt in the winter. So for two seasons out of the year I'm complaining about the weather in some fashion, lol.

For me nothing is too rock for me, but I like rock and roll, so I don't like modern rock that forgets the groove and the 'roll' in rock and roll. But I love the 80s hair stuff that had a bop to it and the early parts of what was called heavy metal. I love me some Whitesnake "Still Of The Night" or Metallica "Enter Sandman". LOL. What I don't like is cookie monster vocal sludgy guitar sound death metal. When I saw the reformed GNR a couple years ago, The Deftones opened for them and I hated every second of their show. I don't think I could hear one word or clearly pick out any of the chords. It was awful. So while I like hard rock, it needs to have a swagger to it, a groove that sucks you in, and a bit of a melodic sense to it. I don't like instrumental music, but yet I mainly listen to the guitars. I guess I like the vocals in the background.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    This is an excruciatingly difficult decision for me. I absolute love both of these albums so much. They are both masterpieces in their own right and I won't be too disappointed no matter what the final outcome is. However, song for song, both individually and collectively, I believe Hotel California is a notch above the rest. It is an amazingly cohesive and mature rock opera that chronicles the struggles of fame and fortune. So, even though I agree with most all of the high praise for Desperado, I have to go with the one that made the most impact ...

I cast my vote for Hotel California!
    Well said, Dreamer!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That's interesting to me because I feel like the more "city like" theme of HC was more relatable to most than Desperado. Maybe not rockstar excess, but more of a city urban life. Depends on where you're from I guess but I figured there were/are more city people than country/small town people. I could see where a country fan would prefer Desperado full out. I'm just not into that kind of country. While I'd certainly call them country-rock starting with On The Border, the first two albums are far more country than rock with the exceptions of Witchy Woman and Out Of Control. By the time of HC, it was just straight classic rock.

And it's funny because I'm just the opposite. The harmonies and lyrics aren't why I like them so much. It was the interplay of Walsh/Felder and then Walsh/Smith that did it for me. Again, I just don't get into thought-provoking stuff too much and even though the Eagles didn't have much of it - I won't listen to depressing self-loathing music like Nirvana. I guess The Sad Cafe fits, but I'm glad they didn't get that way. I'm very metro despite living in the country the majority of my life. I love southern rock, but I've never hunted deer or shot a gun or went mudding or any of that. I do like to fish occasionally, but that's as outdoorsy as I get. I'd rather be inside watching TV, on the computer, or more likely - playing guitar either at home or on a stage. I've never been a nature person and I get sensitive to the temps. I get too hot in the summer and my joints hurt in the winter. So for two seasons out of the year I'm complaining about the weather in some fashion, lol.

For me nothing is too rock for me, but I like rock and roll, so I don't like modern rock that forgets the groove and the 'roll' in rock and roll. But I love the 80s hair stuff that had a bop to it and the early parts of what was called heavy metal. I love me some Whitesnake "Still Of The Night" or Metallica "Enter Sandman". LOL. What I don't like is cookie monster vocal sludgy guitar sound death metal. When I saw the reformed GNR a couple years ago, The Deftones opened for them and I hated every second of their show. I don't think I could hear one word or clearly pick out any of the chords. It was awful. So while I like hard rock, it needs to have a swagger to it, a groove that sucks you in, and a bit of a melodic sense to it. I don't like instrumental music, but yet I mainly listen to the guitars. I guess I like the vocals in the background.
    Eagles' wide appeal is certainly evident when a young man and a 57 yr old woman with extremely different tastes and influences both enjoy them; and are discussing the finer points of albums made over 40 years ago! They came from different parts of the country, and drew us all in!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."