Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles' Albums Survivor

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles' Albums Survivor: Results of Round Three

The next album to be eliminated in Eagles’ Album Survivor is Long Road Out of Eden. “Long Road Out of Eden”, the tribe has spoken and it’s business as usual. We knew how long it was before somebody had to go. There will be no more walks in the wood and you’ve had your last good time in town here. But leaving the island may set you free to do something instead of just waiting in the weeds. So, go spend your time keeping busy being fabulous with your fast company. It’s your world now and we hope there will be no more cloudy days for you.

Votes
    Long Road Out of Eden – 6
    Eagles – 3
    Hotel California – 2
    One of These Nights – 1
    The Long Run – 1

Vote Breakdown
    Long Road Out of Eden – WalshFan88
    Long Road Out of Eden– scottside
    Long Road Out of Eden – KingWalsh
    Long Road Out of Eden – groupie2686
    Long Road Out of Eden – My My
    Long Road Out of Eden – Brooke
    Eagles – New Kid In Town
    Eagles – shunlvswx
    Eagles – Ive always been a dreamer
    Hotel California – UndertheWire
    Hotel California – thelastresort
    One of These Nights – Glennsallnighter
    The Long Run – Delilah

Albums Eliminated:
    Hell Freezes Over 11/21
    Eagles Live 11/23
    Long Road Out of Eden 11/25

Albums Remaining:
    Eagles
    Desperado
    On the Border
    One of These Night
    Hotel California
    The Long Run

Voting for Round Four begins now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Eagles' Albums Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Looks like I don't need to assist the rest of you in taking LROOE out back and executing it (IMO, it would have been way better as a single-disk output with some of the dreadful filler and full-on Preacher Henley stuff left off - you need only look at the War & Peace-length personnel list to tell you it wasn't a band effort at all).

Given that, I will vote for Hotel California. I'll take New Kid, Wasted Time on occasion, Pretty Maids and The Last Resort but you can keep the rest of it. I get that it catapulted them into stardom, but it's not for me. I fell in love with the Eagles for their soaring harmonies, Bernie's obvious country influence and the imagery Helney and Frey could muster from nowhere. By and large I cannot stand stereotypical 1980s rock or the tedious tales of excess or hair metal and arena tat like Motley 'maybe one day we'll actually stop' Crue or Whitesnake, so yes I do yearn very much for the late 60-early 70s and the strong country / folk / blues influences!
    Haha, and I feel just the opposite about Motley and Whitesnake. I love the Sunset Strip 80s hair metal and the excesses. Some people like more melodic music or softer music and or more lyrical music. For me I like mostly uptempo songs, party songs, and rock anthems. You'll never find me listening to a tear in my beer country song. I also loathed Nirvana. Just so depressing and self-loathing. Kurt Cobain was pretty insufferable IMO. It's a shame, but it's no excuse for trying to bring everyone down with you. So yes, I'd rather hear a song with obvious double entendre or a cheesy song without deep meaning than that music.

I'm usually trying to use music to NOT think and get out of my head. Not think more or get too deep. I can't do sad songs or movies. I'm so vulnerable to that. Even some TV commercials get me. I support the ASPCA and Sarah McLachlan completely as an animal lover, but if I never see/hear that song and commercial again I would be happy. I know why they do it. They need to pull on heartstrings to get people involved. I'm too weak, I admit it I can't do it. I could never work in a dog pound or in hospice or be a vet that has to put animals down or an oncologist. Those people are heroes to me. I'd be in the nuthouse. I'm not saying I cry at the drop of a hat (The Notebook doesn't make me cry, lol, it's not the sentimental sweet stuff) but I do go out of my way to keep myself protected from melancholy and media/entertainment that has a sad ending or lyrical content that is grave or dark. Because it doesn't take much before I throw myself into a down place, even just because of external stimuli. I look for pumped up silly fun rock music.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Glad to see some votes for LROOE. IMO Hotel California is just too good to be voted off this early.

Regarding The Long Run, personally my love for it has grown over the last couple years. The inspiration from Otis Clay doesn't bother me. Glenn even said on Live that this is our tribute to Memphis. But one cannot deny that the low songs on this album are really low. I never expected it to win and understand voting against it. It's just personally not on my list to vote for quite yet. But it's understandable unlike HC. I personally do not hear ANY resemblance of Greeks to Beatles' "Birthday". But yes, TLR does sound like the Otis Clay song. But as said above, it doesn't bother me and I think the title track is much underrated. I love it's groove and I love the message. I think the music video is one of the best of all time.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I vote for Eagles​.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

I vote for Hotel California.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Glad to see some votes for LROOE. IMO Hotel California is just too good to be voted off this early.

Regarding The Long Run, personally my love for it has grown over the last couple years. The inspiration from Otis Clay doesn't bother me. Glenn even said on Live that this is our tribute to Memphis. But one cannot deny that the low songs on this album are really low. I never expected it to win and understand voting against it. It's just personally not on my list to vote for quite yet. But it's understandable unlike HC. I personally do not hear ANY resemblance of Greeks to Beatles' "Birthday". But yes, TLR does sound like the Otis Clay song. But as said above, it doesn't bother me and I think the title track is much underrated. I love it's groove and I love the message. I think the music video is one of the best of all time.

Walshfan88 and I are in agreement regarding The Long Run. I really like it, and wish it got the respect it deserves...that said my next vote is for,I know I will upset some here, but Desperado....​based solely on the same reason as I voted for LROOE, it's just not one I play as much as the others. It's a great album, but this is the reasoning I am using for my voting.

Stuck on the Border

I have to say I agree completely with Brooke and Dreamer regarding LROOE and Eagles.
    I am casting my vote for Eagles for the exact reasons Dreamer stated(ty Dreamer). Outside of the big three this album is very uneven. Not bad for their first album but not worthy of remaining in the mix. I do have to say I almost voted for TLR as I feel it was a subpar effort(sorry Austin). I understand they were burned out both physically and mentally, but in their earlier days they never would have let Greeks, TS, and DS on an album. I hate all three of those songs and think they were probably the worst they ever did. However, it does have some very good songs. Thus, my vote for Eagles and not TLR.

Border Rebel

I vote for THE LONG RUN. Not an easy choice, but there is nothing as good as "Take It Easy" or "Peaceful Easy Feeling" on it,

I'm voting for Eagles. I also had said it was a very weak album. The three hit songs can't save their first album.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I have to say I agree completely with Brooke and Dreamer regarding LROOE and Eagles.
    I am casting my vote for Eagles for the exact reasons Dreamer stated(ty Dreamer). Outside of the big three this album is very uneven. Not bad for their first album but not worthy of remaining in the mix. I do have to say I almost voted for TLR as I feel it was a subpar effort(sorry Austin). I understand they were burned out both physically and mentally, but in their earlier days they never would have let Greeks, TS, and DS on an album. I hate all three of those songs and think they were probably the worst they ever did. However, it does have some very good songs. Thus, my vote for Eagles and not TLR.
    I hope you meant TJ for Teenage Jail (which I think maybe you did, but I don't know lol).

Those Shoes is probably their most underrated song at this point. Hearing it on the HOTE tour was a memory I'll never forget. I even enjoyed hearing it more than Hotel California.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger